test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gravity Well after todays patch.

coldemorcoldemor Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Science captain in Fleet Deep Space Science Vessel (5 science console)
total particle generator skill - 286
Gravity Well III

before patch with 130 aux and emergency power to auxiliary I - ~1700 kinetic damage per second
after patch with 130 aux and emergency power to auxiliary I - ~1200 kinetic damage per second

For me it is a huge nerf, again for science captains.:mad:
Post edited by coldemor on

Comments

• adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The previous tooltips for Gravity Well II and Gravity Well III were not correct. While the tooltip would calculate damage and pull values based on your Aux power and your skillpoints, the actual skill ignored them. Now, however, while the tooltip's numbers are lower, the actual effects of both Gravity Well II and Gravity Well III are stronger than they were before.

The patch note is confusing - it talks about how the math calculations of the power were changed, instead of how the player experience of using the power has changed. We've made a note for future patch notes to try to keep them focused on player experience.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations on reading absolutely nothing about the actual change.

Pre-patch performance wasn't remotely close to pre-patch tooltip values.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The previous tooltips for Gravity Well II and Gravity Well III were not correct. While the tooltip would calculate damage and pull values based on your Aux power and your skillpoints, the actual skill ignored them. Now, however, while the tooltip's numbers are lower, the actual effects of both Gravity Well II and Gravity Well III are stronger than they were before.

The patch note is confusing - it talks about how the math calculations of the power were changed, instead of how the player experience of using the power has changed. We've made a note for future patch notes to try to keep them focused on player experience.

Just as hawk said, the tooltips were off. I and others tested GW and TR on TRIBBLE and REDSHIRT, and there is a general sense of improved effectiveness.
  • coldemorcoldemor Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, didn't pay close attention on pre-patch discussions.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Enable damage floaters or parse with ACT, you will see its a buff. Though the amount of which your particle gens contribute has been halved with greater reliance on aux so make sure you hit the 125/130 cap.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I was highly skeptical before the patch. While the damage output decrease is noticable, the range and pull increase is very noticable and very welcome. If I have to choose between the two, I would much rather my gravity well actually have gravity than do damage.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just as hawk said, the tooltips were off. I and others tested GW and TR on TRIBBLE and REDSHIRT, and there is a general sense of improved effectiveness.

Tykens Rift is a huge improvement over the old Holodeck version. However, Gravity Well 1 took a 30% damage nerf here on Holodeck. The new and improved Gravity Well 3 is actually the old Gravity Well 1. So they can say that they fixed Gravity Well, but all they really did was nerf the ability. Gravity Well 1 is now terrible and Gravity Well 3 isn't worth the valuable Science commander bridge officer station, it's worth a Lt. Commander bridge officer station. I brought this up on the Gravity Well feedback thread while the ability was on Tribble, and again when the change hit Redshirt, the feedback was ignored. I'll say this though, after you factor in resistances to the gravitational pull, you are better off running Transphasic Torpedo Spread II than you would Gravity Well I. You will get more damage instantly than you will after twenty seconds of Gravity Well I, that's how poor the damage is right now.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Tykens Rift is a huge improvement over the old Holodeck version. However, Gravity Well 1 took a 30% damage nerf here on Holodeck. The new and improved Gravity Well 3 is actually the old Gravity Well 1. So they can say that they fixed Gravity Well, but all they really did was nerf the ability. Gravity Well 1 is now terrible and Gravity Well 3 isn't worth the valuable Science commander bridge officer station, it's worth a Lt. Commander bridge officer station. I brought this up on the Gravity Well feedback thread while the ability was on Tribble, and again when the change hit Redshirt, the feedback was ignored. I'll say this though, after you factor in resistances to the gravitational pull, you are better off running Transphasic Torpedo Spread II than you would Gravity Well I. You will get more damage instantly than you will after twenty seconds of Gravity Well I, that's how poor the damage is right now.

What type of captain, ship and abilities did you use? What buffs did you use and how many particle gens before and after?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    What type of captain, ship and abilities did you use? What buffs did you use and how many particle gens before and after?

I used a Science captain, a Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit, and I compared Gravity Well 1 compared to Gravity Well 3. I typically stack Gravity Well with Attack Pattern Omega for damage bonus. 246 points in Particle Generators at 130 auxiliary. Currently on holodeck, Gravity Well I is dealing 673.3 damage/second. Prior to today's patch, that number was 971.5. That is a 30% damage reduction over former effectiveness compared to the current effectiveness. Now for Gravity well III, it's currently dealing 1,121.9 damage/second (old nonfunctional tooltip read 1619.2). That is 150.4 more damage/second or 14.5% more effective than the old Gravity Well I, which essentially makes it the old Gravity Well I for all intents and purposes.

When I brought up the fact that Gravity Well III was doing less damage than Gravity Well I, Cryptic's solution to the problem was to nerf Gravity Well I by 30% and then also reduce the Gravity Well III tooltip by 30%. That's not really fixing the problem, Gravity Well I's damage was fine before the patch, it was Gravity Well III that was underperforming.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I used a Science captain, a Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit, and I compared Gravity Well 1 compared to Gravity Well 3. I typically stack Gravity Well with Attack Pattern Omega for damage bonus. 246 points in Particle Generators at 130 auxiliary. Currently on holodeck, Gravity Well I is dealing 673.3 damage/second. Prior to today's patch, that number was 971.5. That is a 30% damage reduction over former effectiveness compared to the current effectiveness. Now for Gravity well III, it's currently dealing 1,121.9 damage/second (old nonfunctional tooltip read 1619.2). That is 150.4 more damage/second or 14.5% more effective than the old Gravity Well I, which essentially makes it the old Gravity Well I for all intents and purposes.

When I brought up the fact that Gravity Well III was doing less damage than Gravity Well I, Cryptic's solution to the problem was to nerf Gravity Well I by 30% and then also reduce the Gravity Well III tooltip by 30%. That's not really fixing the problem, Gravity Well I's damage was fine before the patch, it was Gravity Well III that was underperforming.

so sad the whole thing

dont know why they keep nerfing sci as if guys doing 40k dps with a scim isnt worth a nerf but gw1(3) is?
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Can we please have both in the future. Some players just wanna know generally how to play and other people want to know all the nitty gritty details so they can understand the rules of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]