test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Predictions for the Coming Year

So recently for our next episode of Foundry Files we made our predictions for what we see happening for the STO foundry update wise at least. I'm curious as to what other authors and players predict will happen and what the state of the foundry will be a year from now.
Post edited by admiralmurphy1 on

Comments

• lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Broken. It keeps getting broken with every season and update... I'm afraid to ask for new foundry features like 3d editing and the like. If it ain't broke don't break it.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I expect small incremental improvements, what those improvements are who knows as anything we get seem quite arbitrary.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hahaha - Thank you Lincoln, I didn't wanted to start off sarcastically so thank you for that.

My predictions are simple; after S8 the foundry will probably be offline for a month, new objects will need another 4 months. It will probably still work next year :D.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Hahaha - Thank you Lincoln, I didn't wanted to start off sarcastically so thank you for that.

My predictions are simple; after S8 the foundry will probably be offline for a month, new objects will need another 4 months. It will probably still work next year :D.

Yup prolly right. The big question: Will costume import return next year?
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Want: Costume import/export, especially import/export that works with my toons. When I wanted to give my Fed toon a cameo in "Bait and Switch" (I used her as the contact for the "Thanks for playing! Try these recommendations" message at the end), I had to take screenshots of the sliders and keep alt-tabbing back and forth.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the improvement to the 'dialogue prompt reached' was a nice thing we got lately,
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a few small things like that, not massive additions

(would love to have mobs that don't beam in/you not beaming out when on the bridge interiors to be avalible, like some kind of fade to black instead of beam out/warp in , but not holding out much hope for that as its probably a lot of work for the devs)

Maybe a few more assets for costumes or props will get added, simple stuff like the romulan civilian clothing

oh and of course it will probably go offline for a few months at some point
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2013
    I'm of the opinion that the only things I can reasonably predict are those that I have some control over. Foundry isn't one of them. Sure, I have a long list of improvements I'd like to see made, and I've posted about them many times over the years, but I have no reason to expect them to be made. So, my thing is not to predict, but rather to enjoy the experience whatever changes we do get when we get them.

But if you wanted me to prioritize what I'd like to see, here it is. I'd like more than anything to see them find a way to minimize the effects of big updates and the downtime that follows.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree that it's basically impossible to predict what will happen. I am not very optimistic, but they do seem to be adding a few small things over time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nagorak wrote: »
    I agree that it's basically impossible to predict what will happen. I am not very optimistic, but they do seem to be adding a few small things over time.
    Yeah, this(and what Zorbane said). We don't have any way of knowing. But... as someone who's been around since season 3.... I know it's simply a matter of time. :D They'll add stuff eventually, and every now and then a major improvement. Sure things get broken occasionally, but that's just part of playing games that get updated.

One of the instances of "broken code" that I remember most wasn't even from STO. It was from Space Empires 5. One patch made it so that whenever the bridge of a ship was destroyed, instead of causing the ships weapons to stop firing, it caused the weapons to fire incessantly until there were either no targets in range or the ship ran out of ammo.

Exploitable? absolutely. The player who designed a ship could exploit this by placing the bridge component where it would get destroyed before the weapons and ammo.... needless to say it got fixed in the next patch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My Prediction:
    • 2 Major Foundry Shutdowns for a month+ duration due to Season 8 and 9. :rolleyes:
    • A few major glitches being fixed after complaining after a few months.
    • Some new assets trickling in with Season 8 and 9. (Most being new ships).
    • Some importing from Neverwinter in terms of map generation.
    • Maybe the return of the costume import feature.
    • And maybe the inclusion of empty maps for customized map creation.
    • Ground Costumes that aren't in the Library being added. (The 3 Romulan Costume sets, and the Klingon Academy outfit).
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What I really, really need for my Romulan trilogy ASAP are the New Romulus maps. OK, I really just need the space map and the command-center interior, but I presume other authors could use the sprawling ground map as well.

So, this may be wishful thinking on my part, but I will go out on a limb and predict, with fingers crossed, that those three maps will be added soon. Actually I'm surprised they weren't added post-LoR.
  • gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My (impossibly optimistic and completely unrealistic) prediction:

Dev's decide to end Open Beta. and release their own internal mission-creation tools as "Foundry 1.0 Full Release". :eek:
    newstosiggy.png
  • unsctrekman1unsctrekman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, what I'd like is the ability to make variations in the missions, so that picking one option continues the mission, and another FAILS the mission...

Or to have the ability to specify Career Specific abilities, as in some of the standard STO missions.

(Engineers can repair things, Tactical kills or blows things up, and Science heals or investigates), Each leading to a possible different outcome to the created missions.

All new maps would be nice, but we should at least have a Jem'Hadar ship internal, and some others....

At least they did add the Transporter as it's own module you can place on any map, that was nice. Now I don't have to create a new map of a ship or station, block off all of it, just to use the transporter.