test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Law Doff lost

buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
I found a new mission to execute a Tal Shiar Spy. It was rare so I sent my best man on the mission, Law. I missed the part where it made him the spy and he was executed. I replayed the story mission to get him back but the Doff is not offered again. Is there a way to fix this? I can live without him, but it would be nice to have him back. I'll trade Tovan for Law.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Tough luck there.

The Colonization Renown DOFFs are like that, too.

Best way not to lose a DOFF you want to keep is to make sure they're bound (assign them to an active roster, at least temporarily). I don't think it would have prevented the 'execution' in this case, but it can help prevent other kinds of accidents.

You've also got to read the full description of any assignment with a risk labeled 'Extreme'. Those pretty much guarantee that a DOFF is going to be injured or lost.
    If the assignment wasn't rated as 'Extreme' risk, then I would submit a bug report and ask that it be labeled appropriately.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately, he is gone forever. I had a similar issue. Not sure how I lost him, but I must have sent him on some sort of exchange mission when I was still new to doffing and didn't understand. After much back and forth with support at cryptic, the final verdict was he cannot be replaced, reclaimed, or re-earned. We are SOL.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They need to put that red warning tag at the top of the description where you can see it easily. I lost my Exocomp doff - the one from the Junior Officer weekend that you can't reclaim - and one of my Dr. Sibaks because of it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Total BS. And for the Republic characters, he is a "loan" from the Federation or the KDF. He really should be a Romulan Republic DOFF for Republic characters.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    Total BS. And for the Republic characters, he is a "loan" from the Federation or the KDF. He really should be a Romulan Republic DOFF for Republic characters.

Rai from Khoal is the same way; she's a Virinati Romulan, she 'knows' the player from Virinat, all you have to do is talk to her as a Romulan while Fed and KDF have to have high levels in Diplomacy/Marauding.
    Yet she still shows up in your DOff lists with your ally's background.

I love the fact that LoR introduced 'storyline-based' DOffs like Law and Rai, but the fact that they didn't think to include any kind of protection for them (especially with the Tovan Contraversy going on...) is a little disappointing.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    +1 to feeling your pain... These Ultra rare, non replaced 1 time ever should be available to regain at least once a year (but not multiples) since they will not lock them out of scrificial fodder....
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    +1 to feeling your pain... These Ultra rare, non replaced 1 time ever should be available to regain at least once a year (but not multiples) since they will not lock them out of scrificial fodder....

I agree. When you loose the unique DOFF, it should somehow annotate or record that you earned him/her and when junior officer appreciation day comes around, there is a recruitment DOFF mission to recover the last DOFF that can only be completed on that day.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2013

This is kinda what I was hoping for. We get used to the idea that only commons can die in a mission and quit worrying about danger.
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hmm, Losing one of the rare doffs is a pain,

But lesson learned :), there will be more doffs out there :p

plus in some ways it actually adds a layer to the story :P *PLOT TWIST* in the end law was actually a tal shiar agent ^^
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Best way not to lose a DOFF you want to keep is to make sure they're bound (assign them to an active roster, at least temporarily). I don't think it would have prevented the 'execution' in this case, but it can help prevent other kinds of accidents.
    Unfortunately, binding only prevents you from selling the doff on the exchange, or mailing him, nothing else. And in assignment slot-in, it doesn't even show the "bound" icons on the doff list. The only way you'll even know if a doff is bound when selecting them for assignments is to right-click it to read its bio.

Personally, I've never had accidents like this yet, but making sure I don't send the Renown doffs on officer exchanges does require care every time. It would sure be nice to have a way to mark a doff as a "keeper" so it wouldn't list him in anything unsafe.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I agree with this, I lost my rare romulan explosives doff, because I didn't read the entire mission. I would a chance to reclaim her.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the idea of a system to mark doffs would be good. I think the rare one time ones should have it marked automatically and stay that away. Then make is so they can't even be used one missions they can be killed on. Only ones they can be injured if that cannot get them lost in the end. Then you can keep officers to never have the chance to die.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No. They SHOULD be used on missions. What does it matter if Law was unique? If he serves more purpose to you in a doff exchange mission, or you have to execute him as a spy, that is AS DESIGNED allowable in the game!

Look, it sucks that you had to learn to read more carefully the hard way, but you learned it. Doesn't matter if it was Law or any other purple doff. You got a reward out of it (the doff mission rewards) and that replaces him as your reward. You should be able to exchange him for some other reward (i.e. doff conversion).

To not allow that makes him all but useless. You CAN reach a point where you have too many of doff type X. When that happens, unique or not, they are often more valuable in trade. Since they are bound and you can't sell or trade them, you can at least grind them.

Working as intended. Nothing to see here. Move along.
  • vgacevgace Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just lost Law myself yesterday. I tried redoing the Gorn mission but he is gone forever. What I did was that I assigned him to a Paradan Officer Exchange mission. I know it was a dumb mistake but I should be able to get Law back by redoing the mission.

I think somebody else brought it up but you should be able to get back certain DOFFs during the Junior Officer Exchange event. It is not like it is creating an unfair advantage for certain players.
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I haven't lost any irreplacable doffs but I think it is definitely bad game design.

Games are played for fun. Sure there are other and even better doffs out there and losing them isn't the end of the world. But losing stuff that is impossible to replace isn't fun.

It's that simple.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I turned most of my renown doffs into starbase food, cuz they're just blues, and the purple one is the same dude with the same traits, only purple and therefore better. Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    or they could just make him unbound. You can only get him once per character, but replace him through the exchange, in case you accidentally get rid of him.

Rulian Mazan is another unique Doff that can only be claimed once per character, but she's unbound and can be sold and traded. There is no reason this couldn't happen with Law, the 4028 or renown doffs.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Those Vorta and Jemhadar doffs from facility 4028 are like that also. My main lost all of them by now from careless deaths, and can't get them back again. They should say something when you get rewards if you can only get them once.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    They need to put that red warning tag at the top of the description where you can see it easily. I lost my Exocomp doff - the one from the Junior Officer weekend that you can't reclaim - and one of my Dr. Sibaks because of it.

There's actually bold red text at the bottom of the description. This is why there is descriptions for these missions. It's like anything really, read the instructions carefully. Tho the word execute should have been the clue as to what was going to happen...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Those Vorta and Jemhadar doffs from facility 4028 are like that also. My main lost all of them by now from careless deaths, and can't get them back again.

Those I'd hate to lose. Well the blue jems I wouldn't cry over because there's so many jems you can buy on the exchange. But I would not enjoy losing Dathan. Luckily I have him on ground duty so I don't have to worry about that.
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    There's actually bold red text at the bottom of the description. This is why there is descriptions for these missions.

The bottom of the mission description is actually often not visible. If the description is long enough it gets truncated so you only see it if you scroll down to it. I think that's why someone else in this thread suggested making the warning more visible.

The way doffs and death work is also a bit esoteric IMO. I avoided any medium or higher risk doff assignments for quite a while after I started playing because I couldn't quickly find a straight answer to how it worked. Eventually I learned that only commons can be killed - except on rare extreme danger missions which explicitly kill or trade the doff - and started doffing properly.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Pretty sure I had some DOFFs "exchanged" somewhere in the general area around Deep Space 9, before doing research and figuring out the system. A genuine popup warning would be optimal, in a perfect world. No pun intended. Too easy to routinely send them into the vacuum of space, because it is forever convenient to rush a little bit.

I found another Romulan officer doing the same thing as Law, named "Hubak", on the exchange. He got that same icon as the DOFFs generated on the New Romulan Command Center. Suffice to say, I would not hold the breath trying to find more. And to generate one personally would cost more Dilithium than there will ever be in the universe, because that blasted terminal think it is the gorndarn Starfleet Academy recruit generator, only slightly misplaced...

---
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voporak wrote: »

+1

This is the easiest, most effective way to prevent a loss if you don't want to lose particular unique items, but still allow those who don't feel particularly attached to unique doffs to do whatever they wish with them. I suggested it years ago, others have suggested it - still, not holding my breath.

And to OP - my deepest sympathies on your loss. I have been lucky enough to not have this happen to me, but I did have a close call with one of my renown doffs. Thankfully saw it and cancelled the mission before it was done.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I found a new mission to execute a Tal Shiar Spy. It was rare so I sent my best man on the mission, Law. I missed the part where it made him the spy and he was executed. I replayed the story mission to get him back but the Doff is not offered again. Is there a way to fix this? I can live without him, but it would be nice to have him back. I'll trade Tovan for Law.

I did that with one of my unique purples, im much more cautious now.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.