test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When: Component Complete

attilio87attilio87 Member Posts: 264 Media Corps
I have always been under the impression that When: Component Complete is used with multiple components, they all need to complete in order for the object's state to be visible/hidden; however I'm working on something like that now and it seems like either component needs to be complete, not both.

Is that the way it is supposed to work or is this one of those things where I need to publish it to have it work correctly?
attilio.png
Post edited by attilio87 on

Comments

• Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It should be that way. Are you trying to use it with dialogues by any chance? It used to be that when you used CC with dialogues it would trigger after just one of them completed, not all.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah it's with dialogues. I wanted it so that when 2 dialogues are complete, a third will pop up. That third one just kept popping up when one dialog was complete, really annoying lol. If I use objects instead of dialogues would it work the same way?
    attilio.png
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You could also try using dialog prompt reached.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    attilio87 wrote: »
    Yeah it's with dialogues. I wanted it so that when 2 dialogues are complete, a third will pop up. That third one just kept popping up when one dialog was complete, really annoying lol. If I use objects instead of dialogues would it work the same way?

I didn't even know you could use Component Complete on a pop-up dialog. I agree with thegreendragoon1: Dialog Prompt Reached would probably work better.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    I didn't even know you could use Component Complete on a pop-up dialog. I agree with thegreendragoon1: Dialog Prompt Reached would probably work better.

You can if it's a map dialog or if the NPC has a dialog attached. (contact objective or default dialog)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    :/ I really didn't want to use "reached" because of the way I have the dialog worked out. I guess if it works then who am I to complain! thanks :D
    attilio.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    attilio87 wrote: »
    :/ I really didn't want to use "reached" because of the way I have the dialog worked out. I guess if it works then who am I to complain! thanks :D

One thing you could try is the following:

Set both dialogues up, and select the final "exit" button at the end point in each dialogue (if it's branching with multiple ends then you need to do this for all of them). Set those exit buttons to hidden with a component complete based off of the other dialogue as the trigger, and also set another button that leads to your "third" dialogue to visible based off of component complete of the other dialogue. Then put your "third" dialogue in after the appropriate button in both dialogues.

What this would do is make it so that if you haven't completed the other dialogue yet, then the dialogue would exit. However, if you've completed the other dialogue, it will then proceed to your "third" dialogue (actually now a part of both dialogues).

This sidesteps the bug with component complete, since only one trigger is used (the opposite dialogue completing). The only downside is needing to duplicate your work to both dialogues, which may not be an issue if the third dialogue is small, like a few boxes, but could be undesirable if it was a huge branching dialogue with several dozen boxes.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The only problem with dialogue prompt reached is it can be problematic if there are multiple end points, since you can only trigger off of one.

Also if the person does not complete the dialogue but minimizes it instead then both the old dialogue and the new dialogue will both be displayed on the screen (minimized). That's because the trigger has been reached, but the dialogue never actually completed.

The latter possibility is probably not a serious issue since people generally should not minimize out of the dialogue.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll play around with it. I'm not opposed to doing things a little different to get the results I want.
    attilio.png