test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aux2Batt Bortasqu, Fleet Kamarag, or Tor'Kaht

atmawpnatmawpn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Greetings. I am considering a proper fleetship upgrade in the near future, and am in a bit of a dilemma as to which ship I should go for, alongside a whole lot of other plasma-related issues.

Some context: The Fleet Tor'kaht was regarded as one of the top tier KDF battlecruisers in these parts, especially as a cannon build. This, in combination with the relative lack of Fleet Kamarag builds, led me to wonder just which ship I should pick, especially since I was tempted by the Kamarag's very flexible LtComm Sci.

As a result, I have come up with these two possibilities: a Kamarag build, or a Tor'Kaht build (I didn't do one for the Bortasqu as that seemed much more standard in terms of Aux2Batt options):

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=fleetkamaragv1_0

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=fleettorkahtv2_0

Some additional information: I am currently running an Aux2Batt build using the KDF veteran ship. In terms of Doff ideas I have currently settled for the following:

2x Purple Technicians
1x Warp Core Engineer (+ power on EPtX)
2x Empty Slots of Choice

I also have an extra unused engineering console slot in the above builds that frankly I'm not sure what to fill with. A fleet RCS came to mind, but I'm not sure either ship really needed that. A Tachyokinetic Converter seems a little pricey for my tastes - I could afford one given time, but just not sure it's worth the effort since I did have one on my Fed toon and was underwhelmed. Or perhaps the Nukara console?

In terms of cannons vs beams preference: I do have a leaning towards beams, as I like how they are pretty much let you fire and manoeuvre, as opposed to having to either stop and fire, or manoeuvre and not have the target in a good arc all the time.

Of course: would it be possible that I'd be better off with a standard Aux2Batt Bortasqu build, which I can probably find aplenty in these parts?

Finally as an aside to the whole thing, I am likely going with an all-plasma build regardless of ship choice. However searches of previous threads have been inconclusive as to whether I should go Standard Plasma (Acc CrtD CrtH), Romulan Plasma (Acc x2), Advanced Fleet Plasma (Acc x2 Dmgx2), or a mix. In short:

1) Does the disruptor proc on the Romulan Plasma outperform the 3rd modifier on a standard plasma?

2) Does the disruptor proc on the Romulan Plasma outperform the [DMG]x2 on an Advanced Fleet Plasma?

3) Would I be better off using only a couple of rom plasma weapons for the chance at the proc, and fill the rest with the proper pure plasma weapons? (either standard very rare plasma, or advanced fleet plasma)

Any inputs would be appreciated!
Post edited by atmawpn on

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Three Techs are really needed for a AtB build to perform well. Preferably purple though a mix of blue/purple will work.
    You may want a plasma DBB on fore on the Torkie, possibly switch from Borg Deflector/engine to Omega for the tet glider passive on your kamarang.
    As well they PvP forums has a build thread with several KDF AtB designs that may help.

Keep in mind though that in the aftermath of the Beam Overload stacking nerf (commimg soo to Tribble) AtB usage has come under attack and many are asking for its nerf as well.

So enjoy your AtB choice while you can before a few decide its unfair and have it removed.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Fleet battlecruisers i have played a lot : k'tinga, tor'kaht, kamarag and negh.
    Ships i recommend for aux2batt pvp beam builds (cannons don't really work against skilled opponents) : k'tinga and negh.

Explanation : the tor'kaht has too much tact slots and the lt. comm sci on the kamarag isn't worth the cost of EPtS 3 (you need RSP 2 and DEM 3) plus it has low inertia for its size.
    I only have the free version of the bortas but its boff layout is nothing special and it has lower shield than other cruisers and very low turn / inertia.

On the other hand the k'tinga has very few hull points (actually 200 more than what you see on stowiki) but it has 35 inertia, 11 turn rate and a tanky layout with 3 tact abilities (tact team, faw and APB).
    The negh is bigger and tankier but less agile. It also offers more options thanks to universal ensign.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Torkaht can actually run with just a single A2B1 fairly well, enough to cut the cooldowns to 'close enough' territory on eng skills and 21 seconds on tac, and still have aux power half the time for TSS and HE. Plus with a tac captain you still have Tactical Initiative for those times when the extra 6 seconds of wait is life or death.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you're going to aux2batt a Tor'kaht, consider not using a science boff in the universal slot. Put in an engineer, have ET1 and Aux2batt1, and see how that goes. This will free up the Lt.Commdr and Commdr eng slots (for example, by putting RSP into the Lt.Commdr slot and thus opening up the Commdr for something good - like Extend Shields 3. Who says Aux2batt ships can't heal?). I do this with my Federation engineer in the Regent, and I can speak to its efficacy. Of course, your captain's a tactical, so that might change things a little (not by a lot though).
  • atmawpnatmawpn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the feedback so far. The reason I thought 2 techs were enough was because I was running on two copies of AtB. On EPtX two rounds would put that at global, whereas for other abilities it'd come close enough. Of course if missing the 3rd tech poses a significant deficiency then yes I'll start looking at topping up with a
    3rd blue at least.

I admit to considering Ktinga and Neghvar as well, but they seemed to be just standard engineering heavy ships with reduced dps ability. Of course I could also be overrating the importance of the 4th tac console slot (rationale with Kamarag being its LTC Sci).

I am a bit hesitant to run a Torkaht without a sci boff for fear of burning alive without hazards though.

So far though it seems consensus is leaning towards Torkaht as the ship of choice?
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Torkaht can actually run with just a single A2B1 fairly well, enough to cut the cooldowns to 'close enough' territory on eng skills and 21 seconds on tac, and still have aux power half the time for TSS and HE. Plus with a tac captain you still have Tactical Initiative for those times when the extra 6 seconds of wait is life or death.

I was about to say the same thing for the Bortas'qu. I'm running a single aux2bat, and it's great at keeping my cooldowns fairly reduced while still being able to use Science powers and Aux2SIF.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    atmawpn wrote: »
    I am a bit hesitant to run a Torkaht without a sci boff for fear of burning alive without hazards though.
    Yeah, with a tac captain this is more of a concern.