test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with space map please

casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
Hi, I have a really simple question regarding space maps.

Since there doesn't seem to be any way to enforce an invisible ceiling or floor (I can't find a way to rotate the invisible walls through X or Z dimensions) what is the usual maximum height coordinate of a space map?

Is it standard to all space maps?

If anyone knows the value (i.e. the Y number that is the absolute map ceiling, and/or the point at which you get the "you're going off course" message) then please let me know.

As a secondary question, if anyone knows an alternate way to enforce an invisible ceiling without using the map borders themselves, lemme know!

Post edited by casbyness on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Don't know about the numbers but enforcing a hard ceiling on a space map is most likely LOTS AND LOTS OF DRUDGERY. It would require using invisible walls like tiles across the entire area of the map (or at least the area your players are most likely to be in).

Why do you ask?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can tell you from personal experience that it's impossible to place an invisible wall low or high enough to reach the top and bottom of the map. (The placable area is smaller than the actual map.) The best you can do is place it as high and low as you can go and hope the player doesn't feel like trying that hard to get out.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think I should explain a bit more. I am already pretty sure that creating artificial invisible ceilings/floors is unworkable, so I am thinking I will use the map's volume limits themselves to enforce the height restrictions. Is that possible?

If so, what's the upper Y coordinate that no ship can pass beyond without hitting a ceiling and/or getting the "end of the universe" warning?
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    casbyness wrote: »
    I think I should explain a bit more. I am already pretty sure that creating artificial invisible ceilings/floors is unworkable, so I am thinking I will use the map's volume limits themselves to enforce the height restrictions. Is that possible?

If so, what's the upper Y coordinate that no ship can pass beyond without hitting a ceiling and/or getting the "end of the universe" warning?

Unfortunately, you can do that as the editor won't let you place wall that high or that low. Essentially, the player can fly higher (or lower) than you can place walls.

In essence, the answer to your question is, we don't know, because we have no way of measuring beyond the limits of place-able area in the map editor.
  • Options
    donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    To amplify slightly on what greendragoon1 has said, you can see this effect much more easily on an outdoor ground map. If you place an item at the absolute X or Z boundary of the map you will find that you can traverse quite a way beyond the placed item, going off of the editable area of the map.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the replies, useful to know.

Can I request an invisible ceiling/floor for space maps? Wall are all well and good but since you can't rotate them to create vertical barriers, ceilings/floors are also required :)
  • Options
    tantalusmaximustantalusmaximus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am having my own little space map problem.

On one of my maps, the enemy ships will randomly vanish and appear in another location of the map. They do not always do this, but usually do. They also appear at a specific location near the upper right of the asteroids I have placed.

This makes the combat in that area almost overwhelmingly hard as you will end up tryio fight 8-12 ships at once.

This is the only map in my mission that does this.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yeah, I call this the 0/0/0 point bug.

The location that the ships are warping to is probably is probably the 0/0/0 coordinates on the map. It seems to be limited to preview mode, and doesn't affect all maps now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the help. The mission, named "Trek Wars", is now complete and can be looked up on the Foundry under regular browsing.

I think you'll see why I was interested in having a ceiling. The mission does fine without one though.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    @tantalusmaximus: Is that a custom space map or a template map? Because it seems to happen more often with the former than the latter.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Trek Wars II is now also completed and up for playing :)