test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I.R.W. prefix gone?

janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Hello, I can't use IRW prefix since todays patch. There is no data in release notes so I suppose it is not intantional?

In-game handle @Janetza
Post edited by janetza#4790 on

Comments

• royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    taut0u wrote: »
    Hello, I can't use IRW prefix since todays patch. There is no data in release notes so I suppose it is not intantional?
    Come to think of it, I didn't see that today either. I was looking for a 'none' selection - is it just my imagination or weren't' we at one point able to leave off the prefix?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    *celebrates the final defeat of the Empire with dancing and Romulan ale*

Vivat Res Publica Romulana Nova!!!

But seriously, that's unfortunate. Although I myself wouldn't use the IRW prefix in the "present" game era (although I most certainly would in the TOS era), for reasons I'm sure I've made quite plain in the Romulan Gameplay forum (to say nothing of my STO forum-wide signature), the choice should be available to those who would like to do so. I would hope that this is not intentional and will be rectified at the earliest possible opportunity. While it's not game-breaking, it is a significant concern of the players.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to go ahead and take a stab in the dark and say that OP decided to buy the Ar'Kif Tactical Warbird, which is a Republic-designed ship and thus would have no reason to be in the posession of the RSE remnant.

I'm also going to go ahead and guess that instead of cross-referencing and doing multiple tests with multiple warbirds in their ship slots to ensure that the I.R.W. prefix was, in fact, completely gone or unchoosable... they decided to just throw it out on the forums that it was gone after the patch since they just bought the Ar'Kif Tactical Warbird.

Just my speculation, since OP was extremely scarce on details and reproduction steps.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'll check that on the RRW Tovan Khev II later.
    Come to think of it, I didn't see that today either. I was looking for a 'none' selection - is it just my imagination or weren't' we at one point able to leave off the prefix?
    To the best of my knowledge, the only vessel we could leave that off on was the Risian corvette.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Did a check through all my ships on a few characters.
    Romulan Fed side. RRW or USS on all.
    Shared vessels like the t'varo RRW, IRW, USS
    Mirror vessel RRW, IRW, USS, ARW

Federation Side: the NX vessel you have the option of none.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2013
    IIRC... I had vaguely bumped into a couple situations where certain specific vessels did not have the IRW option.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and take a stab in the dark and say that OP decided to buy the Ar'Kif Tactical Warbird, which is a Republic-designed ship and thus would have no reason to be in the posession of the RSE remnant.

Ay, correct, I took tactical warbird on lvl30. Didn't know that prefix depends on a ship. Couldn't check as I deleted my lvl20 Mogai right after.
    Thanks for clarification as it is important for my immersion.
    Long live the empress!

In-game handle @Janetza
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ay, correct, I took tactical warbird on lvl30. Didn't know that prefix depends on a ship. Couldn't check as I deleted my lvl20 Mogai right after.
    Thanks for clarification as it is important for my immersion.
    Long live the empress!
    yeah there are several prefixes only available to specific ships.

VSS is only on the D'Kyr, the Mirror ships have their own special prefixes, etc...

IRW is only available on Romulan ships and it looks like it got left off the new one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • peregryperegry Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Daeinos (Veteran) Warbird and the new tactical warbird were designed, built and deployed by the Romulan Republic. So none of those ships were commissioned with the IRW prefix and none are in use by the Imperial remnants.

All the other Warbirds save for those two were built by the Star Empire (though I'm sure some have been built by the Republic too) and have generally be rechristened by the Republic. Hense why they can have the IRW or RRW prefix.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    peregry wrote: »
    The Daeinos (Veteran) Warbird and the new tactical warbird were designed, built and deployed by the Romulan Republic. So none of those ships were commissioned with the IRW prefix and none are in use by the Imperial remnants.

All the other Warbirds save for those two were built by the Star Empire (though I'm sure some have been built by the Republic too) and have generally be rechristened by the Republic. Hense why they can have the IRW or RRW prefix.

A shame really. I would very much like to see Dhelan, Ar'Kif, Ha'nom, Ha'pax, Ha'feh, and Daeinos Romulan NPC ships. Not just as Republic allies, but as Tal Shiar enemies whom I can fight.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Actually the Ha'feh, Ha'nom, Ha'apex, and Ha'akona were all built by the Romulan Republic, not the RSE. So technically those 4 ships and their fleet variants also shouldn't have the IRW prefix available... XD
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Actually the Ha'feh, Ha'nom, Ha'apex, and Ha'akona were all built by the Romulan Republic, not the RSE. So technically those 4 ships and their fleet variants also shouldn't have the IRW prefix available... XD

Also, I remember that before my break, when there was no romulan faction, npc's had IRV prefix, which I understood as Imp Rom Vessel. What "W" stands for in IRW I don't know.

In-game handle @Janetza
    edited September 2013
    Also, I remember that before my break, when there was no romulan faction, npc's had IRV prefix, which I understood as Imp Rom Vessel. What "W" stands for in IRW I don't know.
    "Warbird". The names of all the ship types use "Warbird" the way that the Federation uses "starship".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Warbird". The names of all the ship types use "Warbird" the way that the Federation uses "starship".

I thought it was United Star Ship?

Semi-related: how much aide was the Republic given that they can field so many brand new designs so fast?

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    I thought it was United Star Ship?

"This is Captain Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager"...in that sense.
    So it's the second "S" that's meant here, just like the "W" in "IRW" and "RRW" is only a part of the whole designation.
    edited September 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    "This is Captain Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager"...in that sense.
    So it's the second "S" that's meant here, just like the "W" in "IRW" and "RRW" is only a part of the whole designation.

Pardon if I am being thick. But I do not recall a TNG or later that broke down the U.S.S.
    Only one where Kirk explained it to Mitchell as United Star Ship, of the United Earth Space Probe Agency.

Based on Imperial Klingon Ship (or Starship), Imperial/Republic Romulan Warbird.

Shouldn't the Starfleet ships be United Federation Ship (Starship)?

• alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is hilarious! So they took out the I.R.W instead, and left the U.S.S and I.K.S prefixes for the Romulus to use. That just stupid, if you ask me. Why should they even have such a prefix in the first place. Vessels that uses such prefix don't belong to Federation or the Klingon and therefore, shouldn't be allow to use such prefix.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Pardon if I am being thick. But I do not recall a TNG or later that broke down the U.S.S.
    Only one where Kirk explained it to Mitchell as United Star Ship, of the United Earth Space Probe Agency.

Based on Imperial Klingon Ship (or Starship), Imperial/Republic Romulan Warbird.

Shouldn't the Starfleet ships be United Federation Ship (Starship)?

NP, let's try again.:)

USS stands for United Space Ship, that's right.
    BUT usually they only refer to it as a "starship" without any of the other stuff.
    For example, in "The Enterprise Incident", Scotty said: "If the Enterprise is taken by Romulans, they'll know everything there is to know about a starship".

Nothing more. So it's what they usually referred to it: starship, not the whole thing with united space.

In the same manner, the Romulans refer to their own ships as "warbird".

That's what jonsills mean when he/she explained what the "W" in "IRW" stands for, just like the second "S" in "USS" stands for starship.

A little bit clearer now?:)
    edited September 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    This is hilarious! So they took out the I.R.W instead, and left the U.S.S and I.K.S prefixes for the Romulus to use. That just stupid, if you ask me. Why should they even have such a prefix in the first place. Vessels that uses such prefix don't belong to Federation or the Klingon and therefore, shouldn't be allow to use such prefix.
    Ali, if you choose to liase with the Klingon Empire and fly a Klingon ship, you would of course have the option of retaining the original transponder, which would identify your ship with the IKS (Imperial Klingon Ship) prefix. If you ally with the Feds and fly one of their ships, the original transponder would include a USS prefix. I don't believe you have the option of applying those prefixes to a Romulan ship.

Now, a lot of the Romulan ships were stolen from the Imperial fleet; thus, they would come equipped with transponders using a IRW (Imperial Romulan Warbird) prefix. Understandably, the Republic would prefer that you use the RRW (Romulan Republic Warbird) prefix; thus, with those new ships built exclusively by the Republic, you can't even equip an Imperial transponder.

The IRW prefix hasn't been "taken away", judging by the experiments of others - it just can't be applied to the very latest generation of Romulan Republic craft.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Based on the fact that the Ha'ships can use it, as can Mirror ships, none of which were apparently Empire craft, I think that you're all simply guessing wildly for some kind of logic that simply isn't there.

The simple fact is that it probably SHOULD be there, but they forgot. Undoubtedly it got omitted on the Vet ship when it was copypasta'ed from the Klink version. Similarly, it was omitted when they copypasted this one from whatever they copypasted it from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Based on the fact that the Ha'ships can use it, as can Mirror ships, none of which were apparently Empire craft, I think that you're all simply guessing wildly for some kind of logic that simply isn't there.

The simple fact is that it probably SHOULD be there, but they forgot. Undoubtedly it got omitted on the Vet ship when it was copypasta'ed from the Klink version. Similarly, it was omitted when they copypasted this one from whatever they copypasted it from.

So the solution to wildly guessing at logic that simply isn't there is to wildly guess at logic that simply isn't there. Good to know.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The IRW prefix hasn't been "taken away", judging by the experiments of others - it just can't be applied to the very latest generation of Romulan Republic craft.

Actually my work did show romulan warbirds could get u.s.s. designations. . . .:confused:

misterde3 wrote: »
    That's what jonsills mean when he/she explained what the "W" in "IRW" stands for, just like the second "S" in "USS" stands for starship.

A little bit clearer now?:)

Much, thank you.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Actually my work did show romulan warbirds could get u.s.s. designations. . . .:confused:

Much, thank you.
    They can, if you're fed aligned. It's one of the allegiance rewards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ha, supposedly the Romulan Republic can design and build new warbirds, but can't build a grass hut on New Romulus on their own without help from the Klingon Empire and Federation.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    alikain wrote: »

Because the sad truth is that the Romulan republic isn't a stand alone faction it's a symbiotic mini faction it depends upon a host faction such as the Klingon empire or the Federation, much in the same way a goa'uld/Tok'ra symbiote in stargate needs a human to survive. :(

That's why you can use u.s.s. or k.d.f. prefixes

It'd be akin to the united states and british navies using each other prefixes on their own ships. Never gonna happen, both countries are allies but they wouldn't do that simply because they are separate and distinct nations, unlike above topic.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    astro2244 wrote: »
    It'd be akin to the united states and british navies using each other prefixes on their own ships. Never gonna happen, both countries are allies but they wouldn't do that simply because they are separate and distinct nations, unlike above topic.

Funny you mention that. As I recall, all of the British commonwealth countries (Canada, UK, Aulstralia, etc.) use a very similar prefex naming system. Something to the effect of HMS(military) or RMS(civilian) but with a letter changed reflecting that country (HMCS for Canada, HMAS for the Ausies). I can't easily find a side by side compairison online to confirm this without error of memory. I'm sure there is someone online who IS from a commonwealth nation who can correct my memory.
    edited September 2013
    So the solution to wildly guessing at logic that simply isn't there is to wildly guess at logic that simply isn't there. Good to know.
    You're assuming a complicated scheme that involves an internal logic that has not been consistently adhered to in any way and is not backed by any precedent. I'm going with "the programmers screwed something up somewhere". Which one of these is the simpler explanation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    You're assuming a complicated scheme that involves an internal logic that has not been consistently adhered to in any way and is not backed by any precedent. I'm going with "the programmers screwed something up somewhere". Which one of these is the simpler explanation?

The problem with Heinlin's Razor (or Occam's Razor), is the simplest explanation might be the preferred answer to go to, but it isn't necessarily the correct one.

Here is the original logic. The Daeinos Warbird Destroyer is documented as being developed solely by the Romulan Republic, the same with the Ar'Kif and Ar'Kala Tactical Warbird. These two designs are the actual first two completely new ships to roll out of the New Romulus Shipyards. While the Daeinos was released first, the dev blog for the Ar'Kif does state that it is supposed to be the actual first Romulan Republic design launched from the shipyards. The Ar'Kala was the next iteration of the design, which is stated why the Ar'kif has harsher lines -- so they would be subsequently corrected in the Ar'kala design by Republic engineers.

The Daeinos Warbird destroyer subsequently can be considered the 2nd or 3rd design launched from the Republic. But it too, was specifically stated to be designed solely by the Romulan Republic. We can easily attribute it being released first solely to it being a veteran reward which was released in a bundle rather than an intention to make it the chronological 'first' new Republic Warbird released.

Which brings me to the other arguement players make. That if the reason the Daeinos and Ar'Kif and Ar'Kala have the RRW Prefix because the Romulan Star Empire did not build them and thus would not have the ships, then logically the Ha'apax, Ha'feh, and Ha'nom would also only have the RRW prefix, correct?

Except those three ships are firmly established as not being Republic designed ships, but are -- in fact, Romulan Star Empire designs.

Although it is true I can't recall any of the three ships being seen as RSE NPCs, the fact it is established in the lore of STO itself means it is, in fact, true.

The Haakona Advanced Warbird (the upgraded version of the Ha'apax) states (on the C-store):

The Haakona Advanced Warbird was designed based on stolen plans for the U.S.S. Prometheus, a powerful Federation Escort. Utilizing these plans, the Romulan Star Empire was able to design their own version, merging the design of the D'deridex with advanced Federation technology.

That means that the Ha'apax is a Romulan Star Empire design (and thus eligible for the IRW prefix), as is the Haakona (since it is the upgraded version of it). This means that the Ha'feh and Ha'nom warbirds (which are likewise stated to be developed in tandem with the Ha'apax) are also Romulan Star Empire designs, and thus eligible for the IRW prefix.

Furthermore, if the ship was designed based on stolen plans of the U.S.S. Prometheus (from Message in a Bottle), you'll see that because the RSE was very much active back then, that the design for the ship is over 30 years old. Far before the formation of the Romulan Republic.

It's right there in the lore itself that these three ships were RSE designs, while the Daeinos, Ar'kif, and Ar'kala warbirds are Romulan Republic designs. And thus do not have the IRW prefix. They get the RRW prefix.

It may not be a simple explanation, but it is a factual one, based on citations in-game and not personal conjecture.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2013
    That means that the Ha'apax is a Romulan Star Empire design (and thus eligible for the IRW prefix), as is the Haakona (since it is the upgraded version of it). This means that the Ha'feh and Ha'nom warbirds (which are likewise stated to be developed in tandem with the Ha'apax) are also Romulan Star Empire designs, and thus eligible for the IRW prefix.
    Fair enough.

But how does this cover the Mirror versions, which are and never have been in Empire service? By this logic, they should be limited to ARW and RRW, and perhaps allied registry. But they are not, one can IRW them just fine.

The other reason why the IRW prefix should be available, period, is that at one point in the storyline, you actually work for the Tal Shiar. This means you would, at very least, have a forged Tal Shiar ship registry, otherwise they'd sort of notice this. Originally, I recall hearing that the IRW prefix would even be a reward for doing those missions, although this idea may have been dropped for various reasons and just left universally available.

The fact is, no matter what explanation you go for, there are holes, inconsistencies, and justifications you can throw for anything. However, I believe the true story is simply that someone dropped the ball somewhere. This explanation, unlike the others, is entirely consistent and entirely plausible.
    davidwford wrote: »
    Funny you mention that. As I recall, all of the British commonwealth countries (Canada, UK, Aulstralia, etc.) use a very similar prefex naming system. Something to the effect of HMS(military).
    Speaking of HMS, HMS should be an allowed prefix on alien ships used by Fed captains. This is canonically supported.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Fair enough.

But how does this cover the Mirror versions, which are and never have been in Empire service? By this logic, they should be limited to ARW and RRW, and perhaps allied registry. But they are not, one can IRW them just fine.

The other reason why the IRW prefix should be available, period, is that at one point in the storyline, you actually work for the Tal Shiar. This means you would, at very least, have a forged Tal Shiar ship registry, otherwise they'd sort of notice this. Originally, I recall hearing that the IRW prefix would even be a reward for doing those missions, although this idea may have been dropped for various reasons and just left universally available.

The fact is, no matter what explanation you go for, there are holes, inconsistencies, and justifications you can throw for anything. However, I believe the true story is simply that someone dropped the ball somewhere. This explanation, unlike the others, is entirely consistent and entirely plausible.

As far as the Mirror Warbirds go, because they are based on Empire designs, I don't see why you couldn't give them an IRW prefix. There's nothing in the lore that says the Mirror Universe ships didn't fall into the hands of the RSE, and given the Lobi Consortium are the ones taking them off the hands of the tholians -- it's perfectly plausible that they'd see the RSE as a potential buyer, not just the Romulan Republic. As far as the Ferengi go they'll just as readily accept the Romulan Star Empire as customers as they would the Romulan Republic.

The only real inconsistency I can think of is the Commander's Gig, which was an RSE design, but only has the RRW prefix (in addition to the USS or 'None' option). Which could be explained as Cryptic 'dropping the ball'.

I think looking at it in that way is intellectually dishonest. Yes, there are holes and inconsistencies. We can either say they are mistakes, or we can try to use what currently exists to form explanations.

I can take your approach and go one step further and say there are holes and inconsistencies in Star Trek in general, and instead of trying to justify it -- I can just say that it's a TV show and a fictional setting so trying to put logic to a fictional setting that is often contradictory and inconsistent is an exercise in futility in of itself. Then I'd have no reason to argue or debate Star Trek at all.

I mean if we took that approach, we'd never have the klingon augment storyline in Enterprise, for trying to explain why klingons in TOS didn't have lobsters on their heads. We could have just said "Makeup constraints in the 60's prevented that from happening."

This may seem like a straw man argument, but I see it in the same way for STO. We can either write things off as mistakes by Cryptic, or use what lore there is to justify and explain what otherwise couldn't be explained.

In my case, I think that the lore speaks for itself why the Warbird Destroyer and Tactical Warbirds are RRW ships only while others can have the IRW prefix, but I'm not going to say without a doubt that it's intentional. It could be a bug, but I just don't think it is.
    ExtxpTp.jpg