test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Provisional Fleet Leader - Better Proposal

khrisstian1986khrisstian1986 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
I wanted to push forward a proposal for a new (hopefully more effective) Fleet Leader Hierarchy.

I am currently leader of a pretty small Fleet (30) and it was decided that it works better with one leader in which I have appointed two officers (in name only) First and Second Officer.

However with the new Provisional Fleet Leader scheme that has now been put into place; it means that even although they are the next highest rank, it may not be them that get the position, should I fail to appear in a six months period. Or unless one is promoted to Leader also.

What my members and I suggest is a hierarchy scheme, where Fleet Leaders are shown in the members area - call it what you will, Pyramid, Rank Structure etc...

Fleet Leaders are shown at the top with additional slots to promote more, or have a set provisional leader (VICE - with full leader privileges after two weeks) that cannot kick the founder.

I have have certainly spent a fair whack of real money on this game and a couple of other members to end up loosing all that I have worked for to a member that had only just joined the fleet or does not contribute enough. I can guarantee that I will be online in my current state, but should I be offline for any factor not of my choice, I would rather have some choice in what happens with my Fleet, as I am sure others will also.

See image below - of Leader Structure proposed - ranking leaders and vice leaders - to chief of station staff.

[img]http://files.enjin.com/239905/STARTREKONLINE/Fleet Proposal.png[/img]

COMMENT IF YOU AGREE
Post edited by khrisstian1986 on

Comments

• stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is always wise to place people in leadership that you can trust. I know in my fleet I have two others that are co-leaders aside from myself, and I am the Fleet Founder.

It is called a Leadership head, since my philosophy is, once you have members in the fleet, and many contribute to it, it ceases to be owned by me.

I no longer have the mentality that its "MY" Fleet, but I am merely part of it - and I never place personal items of mine in the fleet - I merely donate it items with an understanding that once it touches the fleet bank, it ceases to belong to me.

If I add EC to it, that EC is no longer mine, but of the body, the fleet.

If I decide to leave - I will NOT kick everyone - I will leave out of my own accord.

Where am I going with this?

I never fear to be usurped, because if I want something to be solely mine to control, I will make a solo fleet.

Adding more structure to what is already in place will merely cause more confusion and even more unwanted strife.

The 30 day policy is a good one, because if I am not around for that long, I probably am playing another MMO etc... or have moved on to a bigger and better game.

However; that being said, I know some folks have issues that revolve around family, health, school, vacation, business, and even to go far as they cannot afford the internet for awhile. I have sympathy too.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't see the concern.

"The next highest-rank player to log in is given an option to become the Fleet Leader."

So assuming you are the Fleet Leader and your First and Second Officers are in the next rank, then the Officer to log in first will get the Fleet Leader position. Can even decide which one to promote by making the First Officer the second rank and the Second Officer the third rank. The only problem is if you have a bunch of people in the second rank.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    I don't see the concern.

"The next highest-rank player to log in is given an option to become the Fleet Leader."

So assuming you are the Fleet Leader and your First and Second Officers are in the next rank, then the Officer to log in first will get the Fleet Leader position. Can even decide which one to promote by making the First Officer the second rank and the Second Officer the third rank. The only problem is if you have a bunch of people in the second rank.

I think the OP is misinterpreting the bolded sentence to mean "the next player to log in is given the option to claim leadership". I think the sentence is poorly worded. The problem is that the word "next" is being used to serve two functions at the same time: "next highest rank" and "next player to log in". I would have written, "The first player of the next highest rank to log in is given the option to become fleet leader." My question is what happens if both the leaders and all players at the next highest rank are absent for a long time. Does the option to claim leadership go down the ranks?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • khrisstian1986khrisstian1986 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    My question is what happens if both the leaders and all players at the next highest rank are absent for a long time. Does the option to claim leadership go down the ranks?

Such as with my Naval Career, a Captain is not replaced by the next highest rank to walk onto the Bridge should the Captain be injured or killed (forbid). The Next would be the next in line, a chosen member of the Fleet/Crew.

Indeed, my point, I would rather choose whom will supersede me should I fail to show for six months. And as frtoaster says, does this end up going down the ranks if all fail to show?

But in terms of the Fleet, it has been going strong for over a year now, and I don't think of it solely as my Fleet, rather a feat for all to take credit for. New and founding members. I would just rather see that the hard work go to the most deserving of my choosing.

That's why I suggested the tiered structure. Plus it does allow for ranked members to have a certain role in the Fleet in which this could be expanded to include daily missions/accolades etc, that help complete fleet projects....
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If no one of the second rank is active then it is indeed the third (or whatever is active) rank that gets leadership. I was in third rank when I claimed leadership of my fleet.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    ....." My question is what happens if both the leaders and all players at the next highest rank are absent for a long time. Does the option to claim leadership go down the ranks?

The next rank down assumes command, if there are more than one active fleet member in that lower rank, the first player that logs in automatically assume total control of the fleet.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg