test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite STF-friendly Wells Build

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Federation Discussion
About a year before the launch of LoR, I was in the mood for a Romulan character, so I built one using the Alien creator and this guide. A female science officer by the name of T'pe (pronounced tuh-PAY).

As a Romulan, T'pe is manipulative, and she found Starfleet... pliable to the idea of granting her access to an advanced technology ship. I wanted her build to reflect that. I don't PvP, but enjoy playing Elite STFs, and this ship does a fine job. The ship's fairly high crit rate, crowd control, healing, and near-constant ATB make her a asset to any team. This ship isn't a tank and doesn't have cloak, but it's very low threat keeps it under the radar and out of focused fire, most of the time. That said, it deals a respectable amount of damage and can solo cubes and guard Kang (though it's most useful when in a group acting as a force multiplyer).

Ship:
Wells Temporal Science Vessel

Weapons:
1x Experimental Romulan Plasma Beam Array
1x Dual Plasma Beam Bank Mk XII [Acc]x2 [Dmg]
1x Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher
1x Kinetic Cutting Beam Mk XII [Dmg]x3
2x Romulan Plasma Turret Mk XII [Acc]x2

Equipment:
1x Elite Fleet Axion Deflector Array Mk XII [PartG] [CoSys] [SsD] [SciCdr]
1x Adapted MACO Combat Impulse Engines Mk XII
1x Overcharged Warp Core Mk X [Coi] [W->A]
1x Adapted MACO Covariant Shield Array Mk XII

Devices:
1x Red Matter Capacitor
1x Subspace Field Modulator
5x Battery - Auxiliary and Shields

BOff Layout:
TT1, APB1, APB2
EPtS1, AtS1
EPtS1

HE1, TB2, TachB3, GW3
HE1, TBR1

BOff Note:
The Tac BOff is an Uncommon Romulan Operative (+1.5% Crt), and the two Eng BOffs are Efficient.

DOffs:
1x Shield Distribution Officer (Chance for Shield Heal when using BFI)
1x Projectile Weapons Officer (Chance to reduce Torp cooldown)
1x Deflector Officer (Chance to reduce Def Sci cooldowns)
1x Gravimetric Scientist (Chance to add GW aftershock)
1x Sensors Officer (Debuffs target's offensive dmg when Sensor Scanned)

Consoles:
1x Tachyokinetic Converter
1x Assimilated Module
1x Zero-Point Energy Conduit
1x Plasmonic Leech
1x Graviton Generator Mk XII [-Th] [Pla]
2x Particle Generators Mk XII [-Th] [Pla]
1x Plasma Infuser Mk XII
2x Plasma Infuser Mk XI

Power Settings:
117/100
74/50
44/25
92/25

Captain's Space Traits:
Accurate
Astrophysicist
Efficient
Elusive
Warp Theorist

Skills and Rep Passives listed via STO Academy:
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=tpe_176

This a fun build to play. Very busy. Mostly I really enjoy sliding between my teammates and constantly "poking" at the enemy ... Debuffing their defenses (ATB, Sensor Analysis, Sensor Scan), crippling their subsystems, stripping their shields, leeching their power, Subnucing their EPtE, locking them in TB or GW, lighting them on fire, etc. So much fun stuff to do. And between my DOffs and Deflector Array, my sci abilities come available more often than normal, so I'm kept very busy.

There are certainly some things to upgrade on it (like the Warp Core), and yes, having a REAL Romulan would be better now that the faction exists (but I don't feel like rerolling this toon and spending the resources on another Wells, at this time). Feel free to add your comments/thoughts, though I'm mostly posting by request.

Also note again that I don't PvP with this. Nor do I intend it to be a min/max build. It's just something fun to play, that's good enough to be a contributing asset in Elite STFs.

Enjoy!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    madmanmoonmadmanmoon Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Many thanks! This gives me lots of great ideas. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    madmanmoon wrote: »
    Many thanks! This gives me lots of great ideas. Much appreciated!
    No problem. Happy to oblige. I'd be curious to see what build you end up with. Please post it when you get "finished" (or close to it)... Either in this thread or in your own, however you like.

** Note **
    I corrected an error in the OP's power levels. The current listing is now right.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    For a much higher dps I'd use this build

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=grumbles_0

Doffs would be 3 beam cooldown ones and 2 damage control

Bfaw will help spread your ap: B everywhere. And gravity well is always a welcome sight in every stfs
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Your not going to try and duplicate that build with a Romulan Temporal ship? You loss, I guess.
  • Options
    iskandusiskandus Member Posts: 1,062 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dahminus wrote: »

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dahmwells2_0

Bfaw will help spread your ap: B everywhere. And gravity well is always a welcome sight in every stfs

Each ship can only have a maximum of one kinetic cutting beam, not two. Therefore, the build you posted is not even a valid build because it actually has 2 kinetic cutting beams.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Omega_Adapted_Borg_Technology_Set#Kinetic_Cutting_Beam
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I actually prefer iskandus' drain build for the wells but your build is interesting.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    Your not going to try and duplicate that build with a Romulan Temporal ship? You loss, I guess.
    Unlikely. Certainly not anytime soon. I'm really quite happy with how this character/build plays. It's fun! And I've already got it. At this time I don't feel like making another toon, just to level it, do the Reps, buy the gear, buy the ship, etc. etc. Just to duplicate something I've already got. Sure... having all Superior Operative Rom BOffs would improve the crit, and I could be a Real Romulan raced character... But... meh >shrug< I don't really care.

:D
    westx211 wrote: »
    I actually prefer iskandus' drain build for the wells but your build is interesting.
    Thanks (for thinking my build is interesting).

I don't intend it to be min/max. It's just something fun to play, that's good enough to be a contributing asset in Elite STFs.

:cool:

• Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2013
    I can vouch for it contributing, definitely helped in CSE and was not a burden like a lot of science builds, gets a pass from me =)

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've been thinking about focusing more one Science ships, since cruisers (especially Starfleet Cruisers are just TRIBBLE in STO).
    Just like you i don't do PvP very much and i think your build looks interesting IMO.

I'm not a sci expert (yet) but i think i would change Tachyon Beam 3 into FBP to suit my playstyle better.(but that's just me)
    I like your combination of cannons (turrets) and beam weapons which seem to work fine when just using APB 1+2.

This a fun build to play. Very busy. Mostly I really enjoy sliding between my teammates and constantly "poking" at the enemy ... Debuffing their defenses (ATB, Sensor Analysis, Sensor Scan), crippling their subsystems, stripping their shields, leeching their power, Subnucing their EPtE, locking them in TB or GW, lighting them on fire, etc. So much fun stuff to do. And between my DOffs and Deflector Array, my sci abilities come available more often than normal, so I'm kept very busy.
    Sounds fun indeed. :)
    (especially for someone only used to fly boring starfleet Crusiers, lol)

I don't intend it to be min/max. It's just something fun to play, that's good enough to be a contributing asset in Elite STFs.
    I wish more ppl would think like that!

Anyway, i will definitely try out something similar.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I've been thinking about focusing more one Science ships, since cruisers (especially Starfleet Cruisers are just TRIBBLE in STO). !

First word...regent

Second word...setup

Third word...gear

Fourth word...deadly
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    First word...regent

Second word...setup

Third word...gear

Fourth word...deadly

Fifth word...(still) boring.

Firepower is not everything.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Fifth word...(still) boring.

Firepower is not everything.

The only ship i disagree with that about is the Dradnought, She is my only Ship that Focuses almost solely around my E-PEEN. In 1v1 and PvE it is stupid Dangerous in my hands.

But i will admit i prefer unconventional builds for the most part. I have a risian corvette, thats is running a breen set with transphasics, clearly im insane.

But i am a HUGE fan of Science builds. I really love the control and repel aspects of it. (working on rep mind you) I built a sciene toon just to get the full feel of science. And once i get my Pompous Character up to the areas and weapons i need i feel like he shall be a worthy opponent.

I love the Wells build and if i get this Character to a good place (while saving a TRIBBLE ton of EC) i might just pick up one for him.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    I can vouch for it contributing, definitely helped in CSE and was not a burden like a lot of science builds, gets a pass from me =)
    Thanks for the kind words and asking for my build info after the STF the other day. Even kinder of you to post here. That was a fun run, wasn't it!?! :D
    ...Just like you i don't do PvP very much and i think your build looks interesting IMO.
    Thanks! I've enjoyed Sci ships in PvE/STFs. I like the crowd control aspect. And sometimes, especially not with a premade group, having someone who can slow down the pace of battle can be a real benefit. Say for instance, if you happen to find yourself with a group that's somewhat lacking in DPS...

And I've got plenty of characters/builds that concentrate on the pewpew factor. Riding the MOAR DAKKA-Express is a hoot! But as you mention it gets boring, and Sci can be a fun/effective alternative.
    I'm not a sci expert (yet) but i think i would change Tachyon Beam 3 into FBP to suit my playstyle better.(but that's just me) I like your combination of cannons (turrets) and beam weapons which seem to work fine when just using APB 1+2.
    I'm not sure if it's because NPCs generally have a low rate of fire, or I had low aux/skill, but the last time I used FBP I found it lackluster at best. I love the idea of it, but not the results. Especially with this build and all of its -Th (negative Threat). The baddies leave me alone most of the time.

TachB3 isn't as useful as I'd like (especially since many STF foes have no shields), but it can be an effective "expose" vs. Cubes (especially Tac Cubes). Plus it's hella-good vs. the Crystalline Entity (necessary when running Elite CE).

I have completed my Nukara Rep, so don't CE much... Maybe I'll give FBP another go. I have high Aux and a pretty good Starship Particle Generators skill. Hmm...

This build has a pretty gnarly Grav Well, but the Devs have (internally) fixed a GW bug, making it better. Tyken's Rift, too. Maybe when that fix hits Holodeck I'll give TR a try in place of TB3, since I'm well spec'd for it.

Ah... Science. So many choices. :cool:

Sounds fun indeed. ...I wish more ppl would think like that! Anyway, i will definitely try out something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Meh. It's competitive nature. >shrug< People take things too seriously, forgetting this is a game. :rolleyes:

You are so welcome (and thank you for the compliments!). When/if you make a build, please share it, would you?

• Options
    edited September 2013

You are so welcome (and thank you for the compliments!). When/if you make a build, please share it, would you?

I may take a while for testing, so don't be disappointed if it takes some more days for a useable result.

Why is the Well Class suddenly so expensive?
    Anyways, i think i'm going to use a Vesta variant (science maybe) for my build, not sure yet.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2013

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=dahmwells2_0

Hmm, since you can only ever fit max 1 Kinetic Cutting Beam, your loudout is impossible.

Also, 3 doffs for beam cooldown?! You only need 1, really, to get it as good as near global most of the time. Especially whe you take BFAW out of your auto-cycling, and just use it when you need it.

Personally I would replace the Lieutenant Universal station with an Engineer, carrying EPtS1 + RSP1; and then replace APB2 with BFAW3. Then I'd use 2x Hamlets, 1x Zemok, and doff to lengthen the duration of RSP (or an extra Zemok), and 1 doff with chance to shorten CD on beam special attacks. YMMV, of course. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I may take a while for testing, so don't be disappointed if it takes some more days for a useable result.

Why is the Well Class suddenly so expensive?
    Anyways, i think i'm going to use a Vesta variant (science maybe) for my build, not sure yet.
    No rush. Whenever you get your build done (even if it's in a Vesta), I'd love to see it.

Why is the Wells so expensive? I'd say it's because the Temporal ships are all generally popular, the Temporal Lock Box is retired again (for now), and they recently released a (some might say superior) Romulan version of the Temporal ship (and it comes in the same box as the Wells).

On another note, now that I'm done with my Nukara Rep on this toon, I don't run the CE missions as much anymore, so I don't need Tachyon Beam 3 so much. I've considered replacing this with something else. After reading Mimey's post about Photonic Officer, I might give that a try. If I make any changes, I'll let you know and/or will at least post my testing results.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    The build I posted was every bit valid...really, people is it so hard to understand that it was a mistake and that it was meant to be another rom plasma? Really now...

I expected better then this :P

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ...really, people is it so hard to understand that it was a mistake and that it was meant to be another rom plasma? Really now...

I expected better then this
    My expectations of the "better" would be that the person who made their mistake could, I dunno, maybe go back and fix it (or perhaps remove the link) so that they don't keep getting poked about it.

:rolleyes:

:D

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Done...

/grumble grumble...

• Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    interesting design however if going ALL the way temporal I reccomend AP weapons to match the Chroniton beam (AP) from the temporal set..
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    No rush. Whenever you get your build done (even if it's in a Vesta), I'd love to see it.
    I'm not so sure about the Vesta.
    It's got some good weapons and a hangar, but to be honest i hate DHCs and carriers. Lol.
    So i'll maybe try something crazy, we'll see...

Why is the Wells so expensive? I'd say it's because the Temporal ships are all generally popular, the Temporal Lock Box is retired again (for now), and they recently released a (some might say superior) Romulan version of the Temporal ship (and it comes in the same box as the Wells).
    Strange, i can remember when it was on the exchange for less than 70mill, but now 130 mill ? anyway i wouldn't have the money for it, lol.

On another note, now that I'm done with my Nukara Rep on this toon, I don't run the CE missions as much anymore, so I don't need Tachyon Beam 3 so much. I've considered replacing this with something else. After reading Mimey's post about Photonic Officer, I might give that a try. If I make any changes, I'll let you know and/or will at least post my testing results.
    That sounds very interesting, i'm experimenting with PO a bit myself and i'm curious what you think about it.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Sorry for being late. :)

It's not a wells class (still to expensive for me), not even a full Science ship, but here's my try on a Sci heavy Cruiser/Science hybrid.
    LINK

A tale of two Picards