test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fed frigates or fighter breach immunity, please

qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Member Posts: 153 Arc User
I've got a Fed toon. And a KDF one.

My KDF has a Fleet Vo'Quv with Birds of Prey, and it's great with the recent carrier changes.

My Fed has a Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier. However, with the recent carrier changes, it's simply tedious to play. I've actually retired it for an Odyssey.

Why? The rate at which fighters die. I never have them all alive all at once, and none have made it past rank 2 or 3. I mean, in an eSTF, if a frickin' probe explodes, I lose at least one fighter. If a cube explodes, I can count on almost all of my fighters being gone.

I have to recall them at 30-50% (sometimes more) to get them away from explosions, because they take an eternity to process the command and follow it.

The only way for me to keep fighters alive is to keep them recalled 2/3 of the time... Which defeats the purpose of having them.

Really, fighters (all carrier pets, ideally) should be immune to warp core breach explosion damage. Otherwise, more frigates really need to be offered.
Post edited by qqafgqegqe4ag on

Comments

• Options
    denliner1701denliner1701 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Fighters don't need to be immune to warp core breach damage, as that will be very unrealistic, to survive an explosion point blank. Also, the carrier update allows all carrier pets to attempt to escape the explosion (Although, it kinda fails). However, the fragility of the fighters is mitigated by their reload time (20-30 secs for Fighters/Shuttles).

Take advantage of the fighters' reload time by balancing Aux Power and equipping Reload Flight Deck Officers to turn your carrier into a Fighter Conveyor Belt. However, if that doesn't really satisfy you or ruins your build, try getting Delta Flyers / Danube Runabouts in at least 1 hangar to help support your fighters, since they are much more resilient than the Fighters.
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you use fighter, there r 2 things you need to do to keep ur fighters alive and rank+.

1. Increase your threat lvl and do not order them to attack until your carrier hit the target 1st. Otherwise, they would just be killed. I launch my fighters but use recall command to keep them in the hangar. I only order them to attack when the target attack me or other targets.

2. Before the target explodes, recall your fighters.

Fighters are for max dps - 12x fighters = 12 torpedos,. That is a hell of dmg.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    If you use fighter, there r 2 things you need to do to keep ur fighters alive and rank+.

1. Increase your threat lvl and do not order them to attack until your carrier hit the target 1st. Otherwise, they would just be killed. I launch my fighters but use recall command to keep them in the hangar. I only order them to attack when the target attack me or other targets.

2. Before the target explodes, recall your fighters.

Fighters are for max dps - 12x fighters = 12 torpedos,. That is a hell of dmg.

... Way to not read the original post.
    I have to recall them at 30-50% (sometimes more) to get them away from explosions, because they take an eternity to process the command and follow it.

The only way for me to keep fighters alive is to keep them recalled 2/3 of the time... Which defeats the purpose of having them.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    Seems balanced to me. 6 elite scorpions do a lot of damage. If they are immortal then that is OP.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My fighters seem to do fine, unless I'm using S'kul fighters. They use ramming speed and kill themselves before they level. Are you using the Jem'Hadar fighters or the attack ships?

The only thing I would change is to have fighters level a little faster than frigates and shuttles.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Fighters need a new command...like they had in SFC...Harass...or at least modify attack do they don't get into their targets face so much.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think the OP's issue is a flaw in the way AIs work in general. Needless to say there's only one logical way to fix it and that would make all AIs smarter... O_O'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Fighters need a new command...like they had in SFC...Harass...or at least modify attack do they don't get into their targets face so much.

That would be great too. Having them stay 7km-10km away would be great. They could even balance it by having them do a little less damage because they would be out of most of the danger.
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ... Way to not read the original post.

Wasn't really trying to reply to the OP. Just wanna say why fighters are easy to be killed. Hell, even frigates got busted in warpcore breach if they were near. The only reason you don't see the frigates often die due to the breach because of their long strafe run and wide turn. Fighters got tighter turn and shorter strafe run, so they tend to stay close to the targets. Hence, got killed in the explosion.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Seems balanced to me. 6 elite scorpions do a lot of damage. If they are immortal then that is OP.

There's a huge space between immortal and dead because they weren't recalled 2 minutes ago.

Really, it is an AI issue. But since the devs clearly can't overcome whatever the hurdle is, it seems like a fair compromise to simply make them NOT die with whatever they're attacking.
  • Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What the OP is saying is, Can I have pets that are as strong as players and do everything for me as I command them too, so I can just sit at the spawn point and do nothing !

Pets are far to strong as it is at the moment and if an entire team is carriers with pets, well need I say more. CHEESE !

Now where did I leave that crutch ?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All we need is a better AI. Then, the fighters can avoid warp core breaches on their own.

Also, I think that before this issue is addressed, the habit of pets to fly across the map randomly needs to be fixed.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    inkrunner wrote: »
    All we need is a better AI. Then, the fighters can avoid warp core breaches on their own.

Also, I think that before this issue is addressed, the habit of pets to fly across the map randomly needs to be fixed.

Yeah that one drives me crazy. Also when my pets don't full impulse when I do and then get left way behind on the map. They often don't catch up to me, so I have to yank my hangar, re-equip it, and then re-launch them. Nasty, nasty.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    inkrunner wrote: »

You do know what the downside to this idea is right? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ryaadryaad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What fighters are you using? I stole the Scorpions from my Scimitar pack (I believe they are the same as the blue Rom Rep ones) and they do fine on my Jem'hadar Dreadnought. I mean sure they die relatively often but I generally get several of them to 4 or 5 stars before they get killed, I had one little badass flying around at 5 stars for most of Crystalline Entity, no idea how he survived the blast so many times but hey I guess it can happen. But anyways yeah with recent updates having easier access to frigates would be nice for the Jem'hadar Dreadnought but I'm not sure how exactly would be best to handle that. Look into farming 300M EC for now I guess XD