test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deep Space Nine interior

jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
I'm very aware of the time restrictions associated with environmental art, but I continue to believe the Deep Space Nine interior needs some love to include more of the iconic canon locations, and generally be spiffier. It's a very important location in terms of Star Trek lore, and is also a major in-game social hub.

I know this ship has probably sailed (the best time to do an overhaul would have been prior to the 2800 featured episodes), but here's my wish list nonetheless.

Ops
Ops actually looks pretty good at this point. I think Kurland could safely be relocated to the Commander's office, and the office could perhaps use some additional decor. The texture on the Ops "pool table" MSD has always been a poor fit for the table.

Promenade
This is where most of the polishing comes in to play. My wishlist:
  • Build the Infirmary: An important location on the show, and the residence for the Medical Officer contact, currently found in the Multipurpose Room (MPR). Also a potentially useful Foundry hookup.
  • Build the Security Office: Another important location from the show, home to the Federation security officer doff contact. Another useful Foundry hookup, especially with the holding cells attached to the office.
  • Scrap the MPR and build the Assay Office: A smaller space for the Mail, Bank, and Exchange (would obviously need to be bigger than the one seen in the show, but could be much smaller than the current MPR).
  • Shipyard/Docking Ring: This could be pretty much kept as-is, but I think this should be the spawn point for those beaming on to Deep Space Nine - I'd rather appear next to the airlock doors than beam into the middle of the Promenade.
  • More walk-in "shops:" Give the Deferi, KDF, and Romulan Republic (heck, maybe even the Cardassians) diplomatic Consulates on the Promenade. Home to the mission and doff contacts for the non-Federation factions. Also a potentially very useful Foundry hookup.
  • Clickable chairs at the replimat.

Quark's
There are a couple of ways I think Quark's could be improved as well.
  • Replace the giant ramp with the screen-accurate spiral staircases. They don't have to be functional - just hook them up to interact like a turbolift to go up or down one level.
  • Clickable chairs and barstools throughout.
  • Holosuite doors and control panels on the 3rd floor: At the very least, useful for the Foundry.

Anyways, that's my wish list. I know it's unlikely to happen, but DS9 is my favourite series, and seeing a more fully realized version of it in game will always be a dream of mine.
You're right. The work here is very important.
tacofangs wrote: »
...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
Post edited by jeffel82 on

Comments

• Options
    emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I personally think most of the early era maps could do with a bit of refurbishing. Earth Spacedock has the same problem.

I think it comes from the fact that the game designers have really improved over time, and are now capable of making quite gorgeous looking sets.

Oh, and most bridges could use a revamp too.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Personally, I'm okay with ESD as it is now. Certainly its current incarnation is an improvement over its state at launch, and it has the benefit of not having to be compared to hours of TV footage, so there's a bit more freedom to make it look like whatever they want it to look like.

A lot of starship bridges could use some sprucing up as well, but it would be so time-intensive, I don't think it'll happen - more likely that we'll get newer bridges and interiors which are better, a la the TOS Constitution and Belfast interiors.

Another thing I forgot to mention about DS9 is the interior textures. Everything seems kind of...I dunno, grimy? I personally wish the textures looked a little bit cleaner, if that makes sense.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.