test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Level 50, now what?

asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Academy
as the title. I've hit level 50 on my Federation allied Romulan, and now i'm wondering what comes next.

for instance, is it worth finishing the episodes i havent done yet? (currently in the middle of Cardassian Struggle) i kinda want the Jem'hadar set (i use Polaron weapons) but other than that, i dont really see anything worth getting. is there some point to doing them other than gear (and the storyline, which does interest me)

i'm currently using Mk XI polaron weapons (all blue/purple) how do i go about getting MK XII?

Is it worth swapping over to Antiproton (ALOT of work)?

Is there anything to do other than PVE Ques and PVP?

and the reputation system seems like alot of work for not much gain. unless i'm misssing something?
Tenebris lux mea est
Post edited by asmodeus451 on

Comments

• Options
    ehgatoehgato Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1st Sry for mi english

when u hit lvl 50 the next to do is farm resources like a slave, simple as this the reputations system have some skills and maybe some of then fit yuor game style check http://sto.gamepedia.com/Reputation_System for more info and yes is a lot of work (im not fan of reputation system :P )
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    as the title. I've hit level 50 on my Federation allied Romulan, and now i'm wondering what comes next.

for instance, is it worth finishing the episodes i havent done yet? (currently in the middle of Cardassian Struggle) i kinda want the Jem'hadar set (i use Polaron weapons) but other than that, i dont really see anything worth getting. is there some point to doing them other than gear (and the storyline, which does interest me)
    The gear rewards for most missions are not so good, but the story is.

The missions known as "featured episodes" are very very good and have great rewards including set bonuses. In addition to the Jem set there's also the Breen one. Don't forget to play Mine Enemy twice in the romulan story to get a combat version of the horta pet.

A couple times a year they run a 'featured episode rerun' where you can play these missions to get special items and lobi crystals. This is very cool, but not limited to level 50. =)
    i'm currently using Mk XI polaron weapons (all blue/purple) how do i go about getting MK XII?

Is it worth swapping over to Antiproton (ALOT of work)?
    You can get mark 12 as very rare random drops from defeated enemies, as rewards for coming in first on any of the queues that reward gear/dilithium, or from reputation projects and fleet stores.

I prefer to use the auction house. It's easier.

Antiproton are good, but not so good that you want them on every build of every character. They give bonus crit damage. By comparison disruptors give a team damage bonus for every hit. Phasers and polarons are great for power drain builds.

Avoid tetryon.

Antiproton are pretty much only available via the fleet stores.
    Is there anything to do other than PVE Ques and PVP?
    Deferi Invasion zone
    Nukara ground missions
    New Romulus Missions

There's a lot to do in the foundry too that is awesome. Especially if you like story.

I think the Undine story arc is level 50, might be high-40s though, I've never been able to make it past the Vault mission in the romulan story arc before hitting 50 so the actual level requirements don't mean anything to me.
    and the reputation system seems like alot of work for not much gain. unless i'm misssing something?
    There are two points of view on this. The old system was totally completely random. Some people got lucky and they loved it. Other people did hundreds of runs and got nothing out of it. The reputation system takes a bit longer on average than the totally random one, but there is no way you'll get screwed out of the gear.

I look at it this way: Every day I spend some EC buying vendor trash and dumping it into projects. In return I earn Dil and passive powers. At some point I'll get a huge reward. Finishing the Rep gives 32,000 dil and 750 omega marks for the borg rep, 20,000 dil and 500 romulan marks for the romulan rep, and I think nothing for nukara but that might have changed. Along the way you'll earn another 24,000 dil from the daily turn in.

Please note, this is EARN not spent. The rep system can be a source of dil.

Some of the borg gear comes with new costume unlocks and it is among the best in the game. There are borg duty officers you get from the rep system which are pretty fun.

The romulan gear is particularly good for certain builds as well and the hyperplasma torpedo is very popular. One new mission opens up on new romulus with each tier of romulan rep except for t5 that just repeats the t4 mission.

People are so far not impressed with the Nukara gear.

Also, those passive bonuses add up. The t5 activatable powers are fun but the cooldown is too long.

Overall, I vastly prefer this system. But I am biased as I ran 200-300 ESTFs in the old system and walked away with a mark 10 engine, an anti borg photon torpedo, and one other item I think. Been a while and I'm too lazy to track down my old notes where I tallied it all up. Suffice it to say, it worked out to a ton of work for nothing. 200 ESTFs is enough to get you to tier 5 and even if you had no drops and no gear the passives alone are better than what I got before reputation existed.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The multiplayer part of the game starts at lvl 50. PVP, join a fleet, work the reputation systems, as you wish.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thanks man, exactly the info i was looking for. coming in first on PVEs is gonna be tough
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Get... Adapted Omega Set XII or Jem Har Dar XII lobi Store but its not the best set to have ... event Elite Fleet Set might be better

get XII blue or better Consoles

play STF, Fountry or other Missions

find a fleet and get a fleet ship

for a Romulan the New Romulus Rep System and the Romulan Plasma Weapons and Space Sets whould be nice too i think

and for PVP XII Consoles and XII ACC x3 Weapons should be good if you like the PVP in STO i dont because is not enough content for PVP i think
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    first of all I would like to say some of these responses are misguided, yes it is alot of work to get thru rep but in the long run it is way worth the effort, but the following is wrong or just type out wrong
    Antiproton are pretty much only available via the fleet stores.

these can be crafted, Mk XI is the highest you can go with these at the moment but they are not only available at the fleet store if your not in a fleet then this is prolly the way to go although it is a long drawn out process to get to the level to craft Mk XI.
    Finishing the Rep gives 32,000 dil and 750 omega marks for the borg rep, 20,000 dil and 500 romulan marks for the romulan rep

Borg Rep give 9k in Dilithium 10 BNP & 500 marks
    Romulan rep give 32k dilithium 750 marks and something like 4k ec
    One new mission opens up on new romulus with each tier of romulan rep except for t5 that just repeats the t4 mission.

true but in order for you to receive the bonus marks/dilithium stated above you must do that last T5 mission and contact D'Tan
    The multiplayer part of the game starts at lvl 50.

Mp starts at roughly Lvl 10, the dailies start at lvl 50

if people are gonna give out info make sure you give out the right info so that people that are asking the questions don't get chased away from you giving false info.

My advice is finish all the story mission if you plan on doing rep you will need all the expertise from those as rep uses it up quickly.
  • Options
    breaon123breaon123 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The multiplayer part of the game starts at lvl 50. PVP, join a fleet, work the reputation systems, as you wish.

This answers my question as well. Specifically regarding fleets - is there really a benefit to joining one pre-50 (or at least pre-40/45?) Aside from the RP aspect.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    breaon123 wrote: »
    This answers my question as well. Specifically regarding fleets - is there really a benefit to joining one pre-50 (or at least pre-40/45?) Aside from the RP aspect.

If you want anything from fleet stores in the future I would say yes there is a benefit you will need to donate towards the projects to earn fleet credits to get any or all the equipment you may want or need to outfit the ship you plan to use.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    the one thing that REALLY turns me off from the rep system is all the ancillary stuff you have to get for it. gathering 10 warp coils and 20 seismic stabalizers just plain doesnt appeal to me. why cant i just do missions for them and gain rep that way? the way its set up now reminds me WAY too much of a bad Facebook game, with all the time gating and random resource gathering
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    breaon123breaon123 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you want anything from fleet stores in the future I would say yes there is a benefit you will need to donate towards the projects to earn fleet credits to get any or all the equipment you may want or need to outfit the ship you plan to use.

Which I have no idea if I want to or not - I literally just started playing a few days ago, and haven't done the seemingly-needed months of wiki and web research on this game.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    XII or even XI Fleet Sci Consoles of the Ambassy and XII or XI Eng Consoles from Fleet Dili Mine are reason enough to get into a fleet and contribute enought to get these

because they are the best you can get and you might save 30 mio EC for some of the normally XII very Consoles out of Excange that are even worser the the Fleet Consoles
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    recon2130 wrote: »
    If you have the EC (which most people do) you could just replicate the materials. Obviously STF's are required for marks etc.

Its pricey, no doubt about it so you may need todo EC farming every now and again especially if your like me and don't have alot of EC (even at lvl50 - im bad with money OK!) but its easier than going scavenging for them.

You can obviously, also use the vendor at ESD to purchase the consumable items to do the assignments.

I do the above, and its working well for me. I do EC farming once every few days which gives me about 700k EC which in turns allows me to purchase everything i need to do OMEGA rep (i'm concentrating on OMEGA and then will do the others once its done)

ya, finally realized that i could do this. makes the rep system not SO huge of a grind. expensive, but all you really need to grind out are the marks
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    vadavianthulevadavianthule Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well the other thing you could do is join a fleet. Playing with others is great and the fleet items are among some off the best in game. The items you mention above are replicated easily and tbh the high end stuff you get is great. I found working with others in a fleet to get the mkxii kits great fun and not so boring as doing it alone. Well I just would not of bothered on my own.
    Finish the episode missions there great fun and the stories are ok and then worm on the foundry missions. I cant stress enough now much effort some people put into those missions. Try a few from the feature episodes list in the foundry tab. There great and the main 1 awards nearly 3k Dilithium which is good to. I hunt for accolades. Thats my thing. The passives you get from them are good too. Ive onoy mentioned a fraction of things you can do in sto. If yoh want to explore any of these drop me a mail or pm me ingame. I also have a fleet if you want to go down that route, theres plenty going on there to keep you busy.
    Failing all of the above Ideas max out characters in the other factions. The klingons are ok.
    Hope ive helped even just a little.
    Fleet Admiral Davian Thule.
    Kobayashi Crew.
    Dave@dangerousdave1701
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    breaon123 wrote: »
    Which I have no idea if I want to or not - I literally just started playing a few days ago, and haven't done the seemingly-needed months of wiki and web research on this game.

The stuff you can get from the fleet stores are useful especially since the only way you can get the best warp cores and consoles is from the fleet mining resource and this goes for a lot of fleet equipment but I suppose most fleets can also charge you to drop in buy what you want and then leave if thats what you choose. I joined a fleet pre season 6 and even though the fleet seems to have become very quiet as people have left for bigger fleets. becoming part of a smaller fleet can also become good friends help you in game and also help you in getting the most out of your character and build
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You can get mark 12 as very rare random drops from defeated enemies, as rewards for coming in first on any of the queues that reward gear/dilithium, or from reputation projects and fleet stores.

Nope. AFAIK MK XII purple weapons only drop very rarely at the end of elite STFs. As for the queues that reward gear/ dilith, those only drop MK XI purples. Some MK XII weapons can be cheap on the exchange though.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the one thing that REALLY turns me off from the rep system is all the ancillary stuff you have to get for it. gathering 10 warp coils and 20 seismic stabalizers just plain doesnt appeal to me. why cant i just do missions for them and gain rep that way? the way its set up now reminds me WAY too much of a bad Facebook game, with all the time gating and random resource gathering

Yeah, our illustrious EP, Mr. DStahl, spent some time over at Zynga, aka land of the evil facebook game...

And while running around for your inputs is annoying, at least I don't have to spam chat/friends list with "I'm trying to build a blankety-blank-doohicky, can you send me a part" requests that truly made facebook games evil...

On that note, while multiplayer "officially" begins at L10, and if I'm not mistaken you can team for missions as low as L1-2, once you hit 50 the "majority" of the content is designed to be played multiplayer (STFs, queues, adventure zones, etc.) and basically grind for whatever "long term project" you desire (set of gear, reputation, fleet primarily)...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]