test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

United Federation Legion Tips of the Day

yiweitechyiweitech Member Posts: 122 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Academy
These are some general tips about the game which I post (hopefully) every day (well I'm posting 2-4 per day for now until I fill in most of the tips I had before), and range from anything to anything. This is on the forums so it wouldn't spam my fleet message of the day. Fleeties, welcome, others, GTFO... JK go ahead... Some of these may seem simple or obvious to you, but keep it to yourself as other people may actually find it helpful, hence this is in the Academy section...
Our fleet information is here if you are interested as we can help you along the way:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=830301
Thanks for reading, and hopefully I've helped you... Leave some feedback, etc, etc... And if there's any advice, neat tips or something you'd like to share/help/get help with, go ahead and send me a message or post it right here.

P.S. Seeing how a bunch of you are posting tips here, I'd like to thank you for doing it and just don't take it the wrong way if I don't reply to your tip or only reply to some, as this thread would just be spammed with thank you posts instead of being helpful to others.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
Post edited by yiweitech on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Don't quite know where to begin as I need to fill in a lot of previous tips... But here is the first...
    You can change your key binds by pressing ESC (until the menu pops up), options, Key Binds. There you can also see what your current keys are set to by clicking show keyboard, and change it however you want.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    To transfer your key binds, windows arrangement, and everything else in the UI, to another character (on the same account), go to ESC >options >HUD (which may be cut off but press the arrow next to your rightmost tab). In the bottom right corner, there's a "Save UI" button and a "Load UI" button. Go to the character you have already set up and press save UI, then to your new character, and press load UI.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The value displayed when you roll over an item is only the default value set by the game and means nothing on the exchange. The only useful function is that it dictates the value of the item when you sell it to your replicator or a merchant.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Do not sell to your replicator or merchants, as they give terrible deals compared to the price of most items on the exchange.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yiweitech wrote: »
    The value displayed when you roll over an item is only the default value set by the game and means nothing on the exchange. The only useful function is that it dictates the value of the item when you sell it to your replicator or a merchant.

good advice more good loot on the exchange is always welcome
    Do not sell to your replicator or merchants, as they give terrible deals compared to the price of most items on the exchange.

a bit overzealous, common/uncommon consoles such as plasma manifolds are often on the exchange for 1/2 value exactly or less they aren't worth the slot but should be sold at a vendor to get .5 ec vaule instead of the .4 from the replicator
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    a bit overzealous, common/uncommon consoles such as plasma manifolds are often on the exchange for 1/2 value exactly or less they aren't worth the slot but should be sold at a vendor to get .5 ec vaule instead of the .4 from the replicator

Yeah, I know it's a generalization, but it's true for most things, there's crazy things on the exchange such as frequency remodulators for millions of EC... In fact that should probably be a tip XD, don't buy remodulators from the exchange... but thanks for the feedback.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The Dilithium mining event gives you 33% more Dilithium than when you mine during regular times, and if you double queue, you can get up to 3000 Dilithium per event.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lalalalala
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To double queue for your Dilithium mining (run through the event 2 times), while at the ESD, open your missions window>available >under the Ferengi dude who gives the mining mission (forgot his name and not at a computer), click asteroid mining, then get the mission (as long as it's not on cool down). When the next event shows up, mine (you already have the mission), after you finish, beam up, get the mission again from the Ferengi, mine, repeat after 20 hours, and there, 3000 dil per character per Event...

two words: Fight Club
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    two words: Fight Club

? Do you mean this thread is too spammy? Or something else?
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ? Do you mean this thread is too spammy? Or something else?

the forum doesn't let you talk about exploits, things which may not be quite exploity and allowed but are still bad practice should be included with that(remember the single click foundry missions or the stacked missions afterwards?)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    the forum doesn't let you talk about exploits, things which may not be quite exploity and allowed but are still bad practice should be included with that(remember the single click foundry missions or the stacked missions afterwards?)

okay, thanks, wasn't very active on the forums before...
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    One of the best end game content(s?) in the game (that's a really awkward half sentence) is the reputation system, you can get Dilithium, really REALLY awesome gear, bonuses, and other neat stuff. Open your status window (U by default), click reputation, and get started! To get the various marks, play PvE queues that reward Omega Marks (Borg), Romulan Marks (Romulan), or Nakura Marks (Tholian).
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The commodities in your replicator are expensive, hit the trade routes (the lines in sector space) to find merchants and freighters willing to sell you commodities for a good deal.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Melee weapons have various combinations which attack differently and do different damage, lists of combinations for every melee weapon can be found on the STO wiki.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Every ground weapon's secondary attacks are sorted into two types, expose and exploit. Expose attacks leave your enemies vulnerable to exploit attacks, which will do additional damage. It's usually the secondary fire mode (such as the sniper shot from a sniper rifle or the sweep from a minigun) of your weapon which carries the expose/exploit effect.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Despite their simple geometrical designs, Borg ships do have sides and firing arcs just like regular starships. Flank them so you won't take the full onslaught of a cube or sphere.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    albers78albers78 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The commodities in your replicator are expensive, hit the trade routes (the lines in sector space) to find merchants and freighters willing to sell you commodities for a good deal.

I never knew what those lines were and now it all makes sense, thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 922 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    albers78 wrote: »
    I never knew what those lines were and now it all makes sense, thanks for the tip

I never knew this either.

Speaking of commodities, each type is available cheaper in some locations than others. See the list here:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Commodities
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thanks for the tip!
    No problem!
    Yeah, thanks, I was going to post that but forgot about it...
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013

If your fleet's embassy is high enough you can get the very expensive commodities even cheaper than the trade routes or other locations, even cheaper than a ferengi on a freighter at the center console in the shuttle bay.

As far as I know, this is the single best location for commodities currently.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You can quickly switch between your last used ship or shuttle, as well as switching between your starship and small craft, by visiting your shuttle bridge (for switching starships) and your starship's engineering section (for switching between small craft).
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    To visit your starship interior, there's an arrow icon in the bottom left corner of your minimap and under it, there are the options to visit your starship or shuttle bridge, then you can take the turbolift to other parts of your ship. There are also many other useful shortcuts under that arrow, such as the Dilithium exchange and PvP queues.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can quickly switch between your last used ship or shuttle, as well as switching between your starship and small craft, by visiting your shuttle bridge (for switching starships) and your starship's engineering section (for switching between small craft).

Oh really?!?

/thumbs up to this post!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You can find all sorts of helpful services aboard Suliban Cell Ships and Tuffli Freighters. Some include, exclusive duty officer assignments, bank, exchange, trade assignments, full ship selector, cheaper commodities, crafting, and tons, tons more. You can get access to one of these by joining the Public Service Channel: http://stopublicservice.net/
    There, you can also ask for fleet holding invites, diplomatic immunity, or just simple help from members. There's always active people willing to help.
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    There are also a few other neat channels you can check out for all sorts of different purposes, a good directory is located here:
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Global_Channel_Directory
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    vadavianthulevadavianthule Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Great post. I monitor the public service channels. If anyone ever needs any help with anything drop me a mail or pm me in game. Ive played since beta and didnt know what them lines were for in sector space I honestly thought they were for decoration lol.
    Fleet Admiral Davian Thule.
    Kobayashi Crew.
    Dave@dangerousdave1701
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Great post. I monitor the public service channels. If anyone ever needs any help with anything drop me a mail or pm me in game. Ive played since beta and didnt know what them lines were for in sector space I honestly thought they were for decoration lol.

Haha, took me a few months to figure it out, and thanks, glad to have encouragement from a PS moderator, great channel
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh really?!?

/thumbs up to this post!

Thank you!
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If your fleet's embassy is high enough you can get the very expensive commodities even cheaper than the trade routes or other locations, even cheaper than a ferengi on a freighter at the center console in the shuttle bay.

As far as I know, this is the single best location for commodities currently.

Wow, didn't know that, thanks!
    Exia@yiweitech
    U.S.S. Omega
    Assimilation is Futile

Nimoy's Task Force