test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crazy Build #3 - Rainbow Skittle Boat.

topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Federation Discussion
Hi, I'm TopSet, you might remember me from such threads as "DPS on a very tight budget" and "Remind me again how beams suck? 20k BFAW build".

Now, bare with me here. I'm a little bored of STO these days so I find myself randomly thinking up builds and challenges and concepts to try and keep me engaged. Last nights random thought was this.

"Can I get a beautiful looking skittle boat over 10k DPS and always top the leaderboard in pugs and ESTF premades?". I was emphatically clear to myself that I would use Dual Cannons (not heavies) and the Jem Hadar shield, because it makes everything look beautifully purple.

The answer, I knew, was yes. So I went about building this hideous lovechild - and I must say, I'm very pleased with the results. I knew I would be using an Andorian ship of some sort, nearly used the Kumari but bottled it and picked... the science one.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=myskittlekumari_0

Here's the build including modifiers. Annoyingly I had to use a fleet antiproton DHC because it was in my bank and I wasn't wasting dil on this project. There's also the lack of plasma, because I found a pretty purple polaron [acc]x3 turret in my bank from some other hideous brainchild of my diseased mind.

The rest of the ships is built to the best standard I could to get as much damage out of it as I could - bar one thing. I wanted scatter volley, not rapid fire, because it looks so much prettier. I wanted moar skittles all over the map, not a beam of skittles. So my two main cannon abilities are that. I'm sure it would be higher with CRF, but meh, whatever, it was fun.

So, I took it into an STF with a premade group of decent players (fleetmates and ESTF-pug)

Results:

[P]TopSet: 10528 DPS, [P]Sathid: 8574 DPS, [P]Fencer8: 7923 DPS, [P]Voh-Tiirey: 6002 DPS, [P]T'sira: 3442 DPS

Screenshots of parse analysis:

Overall:
http://i.imgur.com/JIG4smt.png

My DPS Analysis:
http://i.imgur.com/DH0Yeyx.png

Pie Chart of DPS:
http://i.imgur.com/t5l1A2T.png

So, there you have it. No, not the most efficient, refined or min/maxed build - but do you know what? IT'S COMPLETELY VIABLE IF YOU WANT IT.

EDIT: Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYkkit3PUk - ISE run (11k)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2b-pgMeCks - CSE run (flew badly) - did 8k
Moar coming soon.

EDIT: CBLP v ACT:

Someone was moaning that I was using ACT which is inaccurate and terrible (something which I would contest, having used all of the parsers extensively)

http://i.imgur.com/hShfxA4.png

So there you go, used CBLP for the picky people.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kirk's Protege.
Post edited by topset on

Comments

• johnny1051johnny1051 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Please tell me you've named this ship after a My Little Pony character?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • katanic123katanic123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope you called it the U.S.S. Taste the Rainbow
    Captain Cavillian
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Please tell me you've named this ship after a My Little Pony character?
    katanic123 wrote: »
    I hope you called it the U.S.S. Taste the Rainbow

You're both reasonably close.

She is called *clears throat* the...

I.G.S. Lucky Charms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • rainbowarcanarainbowarcana Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I want screenies of the lovely flying skittles!
    edited August 2013
    I want screenies of the lovely flying skittles!

I will make a video for my next run. In fact, I'll get a CSE together right now! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited August 2013
    I just did a run but it was shockingly bad. I flew terribly and died once. Here was the parse, I'll upload the video but don't judge my piloting on it.

[P]Dennis: 18761 DPS, [P]TopSet: 8863 DPS, [P]Felisean: 6042 DPS, [P]Sawbones: 4732 DPS, [P]Qu'Taris: 3502 DPS

*Felisean did more like 14 but he was guarding kang.

Sawbones is in a PvP torp boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2b-pgMeCks

^^ Run will be there when it finishes uploading.

I'll do another one because this doesn't show it off so well, when ISE cooldown is up I'll do that for the skittle goodness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bahahahhahahahahaha good one lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not surprised by this, You know what you're doing, you know how to fly and you have access to MK XII level gear. You're smartly using energy neutral tac consoles. Skittle boats get a bad rep because they are often seen being used by inexperienced players just using low level mission rewards and slapping them all on their ships at the same time. You have enough Fleet / MKXII gear that math wise it's almost impossible to post low numbers. By the same token I could take a AUX2BAT cruiser, fly poorly, time my casts wrong and end up posting 4K DPS. Interesting experiment though, I salute you for taking the time to put this together. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rainbowarcanarainbowarcana Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the video. It was glorious -- like shooting borg with fireworks!

But dude - don't goose the cube. Kumari go *pop.* ;)
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a few questions. Firstly, how much did the other players complain about you being in a skittle boat? Secondly, how did they react when you topped the DPS chart after? :D
    edited August 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I have a few questions. Firstly, how much did the other players complain about you being in a skittle boat? Secondly, how did they react when you topped the DPS chart after? :D

Nobody mentioned anything in the pug, and everyone warped out after the parse without saying anything.

My premade knew I was doing it, so I didn't get any comments about it :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited August 2013
    Wow. That was pretty :) Will I be seeing your disco ball of death in the pugs or is this build for Fleet roflstomp action only?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    johnny1051 wrote: »
    Wow. That was pretty :) Will I be seeing your disco ball of death in the pugs or is this build for Fleet roflstomp action only?

Highly unlikely, I don't ever pug (Except for tests like this). I will get bored of this build in no time and try something else, but you might see me in there experimenting with other bizarre creations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oooh... Pretty (Deadly) Fire...

I imagine that's what most people really wish flying a skittle boat looked like :D
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited August 2013
    I have done all I wanted to do with this build, which was crack 11k in ISE. The entry requirements of one of the STF channels I'm in.

Complete, and filmed. I tried to be cinematic with my piloting, but it didn't always work. The last few shots are nice though, with those glorious skittles!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYkkit3PUk

Will add it to the OP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Very pretty, dissapointed at the lack of plasma though! you missed one! also curious why you used flowcap consoles without any energy drain abilities.

Finally a rainbow i wouldnt mind seeing
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ROFL! Topset, .... I don't think that YOU can make a bad build... and you just proved it! XD

I can't wait to see the videos!

Take care.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
    edited August 2013
    sirokk wrote: »
    ROFL! Topset, .... I don't think that YOU can make a bad build... and you just proved it! XD

I can't wait to see the videos!

Take care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYkkit3PUk

Just finished uploading. Will stick it on the OP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    topset wrote: »

Can we PvP..? I want to be showered with skittles! Weee....
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • danemarkiandanemarkian Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dude, that is sick. I hate you and want to learn from you at the same time. :)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Honest answer. :) And I feel the same way: it's annoying he gets away with it... and admirable at the same time, too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Very pretty, dissapointed at the lack of plasma though! you missed one! also curious why you used flowcap consoles without any energy drain abilities.

Finally a rainbow i wouldnt mind seeing

Plasmonic Leech. I assume I used it on this build, because I use it on every build ;) If I didn't, well, I only have two embassy consoles and wasn't going to buy another for this piece of junk.

If anyone wants to discuss builds, tactics, piloting, or whatever - I'd be more than happy to squeeze as much deeps out of your ship as I can. Message me on the forums, in game @mikehadfield or give me a link to your teamspeak server :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited August 2013
    Yeah you did, when i checked the scaling on the leech wasn't that great IMO for most of my captains to use those in place of a field gen(even the XI green that you can farm with romulans now) but at least it wasn't a waste XD
    edited August 2013
    Yeah you did, when i checked the scaling on the leech wasn't that great IMO for most of my captains to use those in place of a field gen(even the XI green that you can farm with romulans now) but at least it wasn't a waste XD

I originally bought the flow caps console to test the effect of leech. I seem to remember it's approx +3 power per subsystem per embassy console - but I've only tested with one so I don't know if it stacks linearly or with diminishing returns.

I tend not to use it all that often :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Always cool to see someone doing something different.

I must be doing something wrong cause you buzzsawed through those cubes faster then I can do a probe with my charal.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    topset wrote: »

you just made me want to buy the candy ><... man I cant wait going to buy me some colorful ones to XD
  • kakerookakeroo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so the prefire chambers stack having four of them like that?

what other ships have 5 forward weapons?
    edited August 2013
    kakeroo wrote: »

The kumari and the Scimitar currently
    edited August 2013
    kakeroo wrote: »

Uh-oh.

I didn't mean to actively encourage other people to fly skittle boats, that wasn't the purpose of my thread.

Yeah prefire chambers stack like any other specific energy type console. They aren't as good, but they work.

Switch this build out from the rainbows and stick in some energy consoles and it's 15k+ no prob.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • jarheardjarheard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i said it before..and ill say it again .

ACT is a TRIBBLE parser ..plz use one that doesnt show 10k dps for a basic beam cruiser ..ie not a bogus one .

combatlogparser 0.1 / stoic ...preffer the first one .

as for the rainbow build ...as one who like to put universal consoles and not tac consoles i have no problem with a fun rainbow build but ur bridge boff layout is not what i would use ..

i would like to see that log parsed with combatlogparser though