Install Arc
Options

V.O.T.H. *SPOILER alert*

Comments

• Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stararmy wrote: »
    I was in a thread discussing the Voth a week or two ago, here it is if you want to check out what we came up with.

Indeed. Post #21 has already reminded us :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2013
    Agreed. It never felt right. Partly because it kinda goes against the non-canon depictions (from novels) of the Iconians.
    the non-canon depictions (from novels)
    non-canon

Well there's your problem.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    http://www.ditl.org/pagsizes-display.php?Both=0&Sort=Title1,Title2&Script=JS&ListID=SizeCharts

Considering that our NPC B'ger isn't near as large as V'ger (as depicted in my link), I suspect the Voth City Ship to not be much larger than B'ger.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But.... will it be an enemy that you shoot at from the outside?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting ideas.

I do wish you could shoot the outside, but it may be a tad impractical. It is only 15 Sovereigns long ... :D:cool::)
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Confirmed via the STLV Dev Panel, Voth are the new Enemy. We will be fighting them in a DYSON SPHERE, complete with TERRITORY CONTROL based combat.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Confirmed via the STLV Dev Panel, Voth are the new Enemy. We will be fighting them in a DYSON SPHERE, complete with TERRITORY CONTROL based combat.

Not necessarily. There will be Voth and there will be a Dyson Sphere featuring Territory Control based combat, but there is nothing to support at the moment that we will be fighting Voth in a Dyson Sphere. It just doesn't make sense to link the two together without further information. After all, the Dyson sphere was introduced in TNG and Voth introduced in Voyager and while Voth ships can be huge, they haven't shown any interest in Dyson Spheres.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There will be Voth and there will be a Dyson Sphere featuring Territory Control based combat, but there is nothing to support at the moment that we will be fighting Voth in a Dyson Sphere. It just doesn't make sense to link the two together without further information. After all, the Dyson sphere was introduced in TNG and Voth introduced in Voyager and while Voth ships can be huge, they haven't shown any interest in Dyson Spheres.
    Yet.... that totally sound slike the sort of thing Voth would do though, they LOVED big stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013

As I said on another thread, Cryptic really has a bad habit of leaking spoilers before the official announcement. :rolleyes:

But personally, I'm not happy with the Voth being a new enemy. It's becoming a boring plot that everyone in the Galaxy is pissed off at the Federation. So the Voth are returning because they finally accepted Earth was their home and going to evict the human race?

Personally the Vaaduar would've been better villians since they have a legitimate reason to hate the Federation.

And I'm weary of Territory Control, given how Cryptic has ignored PvP and the actual war with the Klingons. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but I got a bad feeling............
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There will be Voth and there will be a Dyson Sphere featuring Territory Control based combat, but there is nothing to support at the moment that we will be fighting Voth in a Dyson Sphere.

They mentioned that if you don't manage to hold the area, the Voth retake it.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So the Voth are returning because they finally accepted Earth was their home and going to evict the human race?

Evict, as in "eradicate all traces of Humanity" more likely. In order to protect themselves from the "Distant Origin" theory.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    Evict, as in "eradicate all traces of Humanity" more likely. In order to protect themselves from the "Distant Origin" theory.

As others suggested, this is looking to be the case. :P

Starting to feel like one of those political cartoons where the Iconians are a carny, selling tickets to fight a battered UFP, with every race in the galaxy lining up for a chance.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As others suggested, this is looking to be the case. :P

Starting to feel like one of those political cartoons where the Iconians are a carny, selling tickets to fight a battered UFP, with every race in the galaxy lining up for a chance.
    The way I look at it at least they're doing it with a canon race. The foe could be Starlian or some-such. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While I think it's awesome that we'll be fighting in a Dyson sphere (my favorite type of super structure), I am disappointed that the Voth will be enemies with Humans. They originate from Earth too... I had hoped that fact would have made them friends.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    While I think it's awesome that we'll be fighting in a Dyson sphere (my favorite type of super structure), I am disappointed that the Voth will be enemies with Humans. They originate from Earth too... I had hoped that fact would have made them friends.
    Are Romulans and Vulcans friends? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Are Romulans and Vulcans friends? :)
    Apparently now.

Better example for your point would've been the Klingons and Fek'Ihri.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe the Voth will be both friend and enemy; player-supported rebellious heretics vs Doctrine puritans?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    Why does Cryptic go and pick the Voth? Dinosaurs in Star Trek and one of the dumber Voyager episodes ... Which is saying a lot.

There are so many better villains. What about the Krenim ... or do more with what we have. STF with Undine or fleet actions with Hirogens.

It seems like Cryptic is suffering from serious ADD. They start **** but can never finish before moving on.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The way I look at it at least they're doing it with a canon race. The foe could be Starlian or some-such. :)

Not sure where you get the idea I wanted a Cryptic-made enemy. :confused:

My point is there were more appropriate enemies from canon that they could've used. But instead, Cryptic is making like everyone in the Galaxy is out to get us. What's next, angry Ocampans?

orangeitis wrote: »
    Apparently now.

Better example for your point would've been the Klingons and Fek'Ihri.

Na, the Romulan and Vulcan connection is more appropriate, since we have no idea who or what the original Fek'lhri were. (It's been hinted in STO that they were more like the alien caretakers of the slave Klingons during the age of the Hur'Q).

In Sci Fi, the best similarity would be the Ancients and Humans of the Stargate series. Same homeworld origin, two different species.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I found that texture almost a year ago, must have been planning them for a while.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Why does Cryptic go and pick the Voth? Dinosaurs in Star Trek and one of the dumber Voyager episodes ... Which is saying a lot.

There are so many better villains. What about the Krenim ... or do more with what we have. STF with Undine or fleet actions with Hirogens.

It seems like Cryptic is suffering from serious ADD. They start **** but can never finish before moving on.

Problem with the Krenim is that they have no motive for attacking the Federation since the Weapon Ship was erased from history and the only ones that know about it or that Voyager destroyed it are us and maybe certain Omniscient beings. The problem with the Hirogen and Undine is that they are not new enemies. There are 3 things that a Voyager enemy needs to be in STO, motive, technology to get to the Alpha Quadrant, and technology to be a threat. The Borg, Undine, Hirogen, and Voth are all enemies from the Delta Quadrant that meet those criteria and we already have three of them. There are not many enemies that can meet all 3 of the criteria.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And who's to say they're definitely coming after Earth? For all we know, their city ship is just passing through the quadrant and stopped in Kerrat to refuel, then they read the zone chat and decided to do the universe a favor.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    macronius wrote: »

"Distant Origins" was an interesting Voyager episode, which asks the audience to consider some strong philosophical questions. When it comes down to exploring those questions intellectually, I do not think "Star Trek: Online" is built for such a philosophical conversation. Everything will end with *pew pew pew*.

After the events that took place at the end of "Deep Space Nine" and "Nemesis", the Romulans, Breen, Jem'Hadar, Tholians, Founders, and Vortas would have all belonged to the Federation. If we followed 'Star Trek' history closely, the events in "Star Trek: Online" would not have happened.

Approximately twenty minutes ago, I rewatched "Distant Origin" on CBS's website. While the episode does challenge our perceptions, the idea of Earth based dinosaurs becoming space bound is ridiculous. Space dinos from Earth is just as bad as the Omega particle. "Star Trek: Voyager" 'jumped the shark' with those concepts.

I would not have chosen the Voth.

Krenim Imperium and the Caretaker would have been a better direction.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe the Voth on their way to rid the Earth of the infidels, learn about their saurian cousins twice removed the Gorn, and go and try to liberate them from the Klingons.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Approximately twenty minutes ago, I rewatched "Distant Origin" on CBS's website. While the episode does challenge our perceptions, the idea of Earth based dinosaurs becoming space bound is ridiculous. Space dinos from Earth is just as bad as the Omega particle. "Star Trek: Voyager" 'jumped the shark' with those concepts.

I would not have chosen the Voth.

Krenim Imperium and the Caretaker would have been a better direction.

The Female Caretaker's grudge never got resolved and she's still out there.

But the Krenim, I don't see them expanding so far from the Delta Quadrant. They are better left there for when they expand to that area of the Galaxy. I could easily see them with their own Featured Event, where you experience the changes in time (like in Yesterday's Enterprise) and attempt to set things straight.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And who's to say they're definitely coming after Earth? For all we know, their city ship is just passing through the quadrant and stopped in Kerrat to refuel, then they read the zone chat and decided to do the universe a favor.
    Okay I laughed 'til it hurt... that was good. :D
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Maybe the Voth on their way to rid the Earth of the infidels, learn about their saurian cousins twice removed the Gorn, and go and try to liberate them from the Klingons.
    Maybe... sounds plausible-ish.
    linyive wrote: »
    After the events that took place at the end of "Deep Space Nine" and "Nemesis", the Romulans, Breen, Jem'Hadar, Tholians, Founders, and Vortas would have all belonged to the Federation. If we followed 'Star Trek' history closely, the events in "Star Trek: Online" would not have happened.
    Well, no. The treaty that ended the Dominion War didn't include the Tholians in any way. The Tholians decided to stay out of the war entirely and supported neither side. It DID include the Dominion and Breen, but... the Dominion part was mostly "go back to the Gamma Quadrant and stay there." The Breen part was likely similar. The Federation wasn't in a possition to demand an unconditional surrender from the Dominion.

As for Nemesis.... There wasn't a state of War between the two powers. It was an isolated conflict and never went past that.

Let's face it.... the Federation doesn't do subjugation.... Klingons are happy to, but not the Federation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Vorn City Ship = p2w online
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    The point I was trying to make is that there are tons of villian from Voyager ... and other series that are far better suited than Voth. You can disagree with Kremin or not ... but they make as much sense or even more so than Voth ... who clearly wanted nothing to do with Earth. I mean they are freaking "from the moon" kind of reference to an obscure episode that was clearly filler leading to Borg arc.

My point also stands about them finishing what they start. Let's review our little sojourn:

1) First, they start with Undine ... which leads to a chase
    2) which leads to war with Klinks
    3) which leads to doomsday weapon ... ugh
    4) which leads to ... don't know ... truce ... whatever
    5) which leads to Dravidian arc ... wtf ...
    6) which leads to Romulans
    7) which leads to Iconians (ah the master minds)
    8) which leads to Cardassian ???? ugh ... I thought we were dealing with Iconians ...
    9) which leads to New Dominion ... Iconians? ...
    10) which leads to Borg ... so Iconians ****ing with them too?
    11) which leads to Undine
    12) which leads to Breen ... again ugh?

Lot's of stuff pulled in from the series just because it is cool and might lead to some c-store sales. No cohesion ... no logic ... where are the "Dictates of Poetic" oh Tuvac?

How about they go back and fill in all the gaps and tie all the content they already have? How about they add some ESTFs with Undine ... you know the super bad enemies that nearly destroyed the borg. If Undine are not worthy of STFs ... I don't know who is.

So many possibilities to follow up ... and they pick Voth. Really???

Tripple facepalm moment is not enough.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Vorn City Ship = p2w online

Your premise is wrong!

We may be seeing the VOTH not the Vorn (Duh!) as an enemy, and we would not play them.

Anyway, what is wrong with a little bit of P2W anyway?

BESIDES, I got an Odyssey set because I thought, and still do think, it would be fun, and not because I wanted to win.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    so the Voth are coming home :)

We haz cake and phazorz !!:P