test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[GUIDE] How to (re)install STO without Arc, or So you want STO without PWE.

matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Academy
WARNING: Massive (3.5GB) download is required. Download accelerators/managers and/or premium accounts recommended but not required.

2nd WARNING: DO NOT uninstall Arc/STO yet.

Okay, here is my guide to creating an install of STO that does not have Arc in it.

First thing's first, DO NOT REMOVE your current install of STO/Arc. We still need the data files, or you will have to re-download an entire year-and-a-half's worth of patches & seasons. Don't worry, it will be taken out soon, though.

Secondly, you will need around 14GB of free hard drive space. We will be performing a little transfer of files, and the data files consume the most space.

Next, you will need one of the older installers. You need the Full Install, which is around 3.5GB. I'm afraid there's no getting around this requirement. Here are a few links:
We're almost there.

Unpack the installer files into a temporary directory, but do not run it yet. Delete the files in the installer's PIGGS directory, and replace them with files from your current install.

The files from your current install are located here:
Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs
Doing this will update the installer's data files to the current latest version.

NOW you may uninstall Arc.

One final step: Install STO from the installer we just updated. It will take a while, and fortunately for us the installer will not mind that the hogg files are different and much larger than the originals. When completed, run the game as normal. The launcher will update itself to the latest version, and download the game's latest binaries.

Star Trek Online is now installed without Arc.

Optional: Save a copy of the installer onto a thumbdrive so you don't have to re-download every time you need to reinstall. Update the hogg files to keep the installer up-to-date. You will need to re-format the drive to NTFS, as one of the datafiles (bins.hogg) will possibly exceed the 4GB size limit.
Post edited by matridunadan1 on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    *Reserved for future use*

Sorry if it's a little vague, this is my first time writing a guide.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    *Reserved for future use*
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting. I have a retail install disc, could I grab the contents of that disc as a "Full install"? Then of course update the install data as you suggested and stash it somewhere. Just having an up to date STO installer would be a big time saver if I need to rebuild the PC or set up another machine.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Theoretically that should work as well, although I am unable to personally confirm it.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the post copying this before Cryptic deletes the post.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    phemkenphemken Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for this. I've got STO on Steam but I saved it just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Of course, as long as you have the old launcher file tucked away somewhere, you can always redownload the entire game through it. Yeah, it's starting to get slightly unwieldy to do that, but it should work, no?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yeah I just realized I own STO collectors edition so theoretically I could use that to install the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Of course, as long as you have the old launcher file tucked away somewhere, you can always redownload the entire game through it. Yeah, it's starting to get slightly unwieldy to do that, but it should work, no?

That is true. But still, few people keep a backup of the installer ( it IS huge, after all ), and fewer still are aware that the installer's data files can be updated.

I myself discovered it on a hunch, when I looked at the files in the installer.
  • Options
    snopelsnopel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    what actually is arc?

I have never seen it when playing, would it be due to me downloading the game back in closed beta?

I had downloaded the game through the massive installer way back when.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    snopel wrote: »
    what actually is arc?

I have never seen it when playing, would it be due to me downloading the game back in closed beta?

I had downloaded the game through the massive installer way back when.

Arc is like Steam, but only for Perfect World products.
  • Options
    snopelsnopel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Arc is like Steam, but only for Perfect World products.

odd, seems slightly pointless due to their lack of games, at least with steam they have a very large store of games.

Now that I think of it, it's not worse then EA's origin... I curse the day I bought battlefield 3 and had the use "origin" to download updates =(
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Regardless of what the title of your thread states, you will never be rid of PWE.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    timalcosertimalcoser Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I did a clean wipe of windows 8 just to "freshen up" the system and was greeted with the joy of Arc being rammed down my throat.

Has anyone simply tried install Arc, Installing STO, uninstalling Arc and then going into the STO folder inside program files and making a shortcut for the desktop?

Seems to be working for me atm. Patching now.

If there ever comes a time where I cannot play STO without ARC, i'll move over to Steam.

Long story short, I'm not installing a bunch of gaming browsers from all kinds of different companies on my system just to play 1 game. The end.
    To Infinity be with you and beyond!
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I knew it wasn't going to be long before this "optional" tool was going to be rammed down everyone's throats. Fortunately I have the latest build of the game installer before Arc came on the scene and keep a big zip file of my current install.
    I don't need some tool running on my computer, ripping off my bandwidth torrenting games I don't play and the minute that I can't run the game without running Arc will be the end of my STO gaming.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I recently got a new computer, and i installed STO and nothing about arc came up for me. Searching arc comes up empty too.

So that's one way around i suppose
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Guys, it's easy to get around arc. Look at the usual free software download sites and look for STO there... Most of the time these files are 1 or 2 yrs old.

After you started it, it'll patch itself but without arc.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting. I have a retail install disc, could I grab the contents of that disc as a "Full install"? Then of course update the install data as you suggested and stash it somewhere. Just having an up to date STO installer would be a big time saver if I need to rebuild the PC or set up another machine.

My brother is here visiting and wanted to install STO on his laptop so we could do a couple of missions in co-op mode but he was having some kind of problems with ARC installer. We installed the game with collectors edition DVD then copied my Live folder over to his installation, worked right away no problems, and he is using the old launcher.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What exactly is this Arc? As far as I know I don't have it, I just click my blue Star Trek Online icon, input password and click engage. There's no mention of Arc anywhere.
  • Options
    molaighmolaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can we get this stickied??? I know that we'll never be able to convince PWE is a horrible waste of time and resources, but at least we can advertise that it's unnecessary.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I won't ever use arc unless I'm made to and then it will be staying or leave choice I've had too many bad experiences with forced game launchers

E A springs to mind
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    pezjrpezjr Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I knew it wasn't going to be long before this "optional" tool was going to be rammed down everyone's throats. Fortunately I have the latest build of the game installer before Arc came on the scene and keep a big zip file of my current install.
    I don't need some tool running on my computer, ripping off my bandwidth torrenting games I don't play and the minute that I can't run the game without running Arc will be the end of my STO gaming.

It does work apparently. You can install the game with this stupid Arc non-since and after its updated you can search for the program folder with STO's launcher, copy a shortcut to it and then uninstall Arc. This working fine for me now without those extra steps of moving files around. Good luck all!

-Pez
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think them Chinese CEOs in black helicopters may be on to us.

Since last patch, my Arc-less install crashes on load, whereas a friend who uses Arc runs STO just fine...

Attempting to reinstall the client again.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would just like to point out that star trek online is independent from the windows registry. You can move and copy the game files and run them from any location as long as you have write access. Even stored on a network drive. You do not have to run any other program even if it was installed by steam or arc. You only need the star trek launcher.
  • Options
    hotleadsingerguyhotleadsingerguy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that star trek online is independent from the windows registry. You can move and copy the game files and run them from any location as long as you have write access. Even stored on a network drive. You do not have to run any other program even if it was installed by steam or arc. You only need the star trek launcher.

This. I have 3 computers in the house and I just copied the directory over to the other two computers (it was installed pre-Arc). Works great everywhere I run it.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Great post. It's enough that I have to deal with Steam and Origin. I don't need more junk in my laptop.
  • Options
    summerof67summerof67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not sure what to do. Logged into STO tonite and got this Arc crammed down my throat. I didn't want Arc, but got it - it doesn't start up STO, nor is the FAQ at all useful. I do have Steam...
    Should I install STO through Steam? Will that be compatible?
    Should I use Fileplanet or whatever?
    I read the lead-in OP but seems pretty complicated. Is that the best plan though?
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Steam and STO work perfectly so no ARC for me!
  • Options
    summerof67summerof67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Is it ok to just uninstall Arc, then download STO into/through Steam?

I had STO, but all links broke when the Arc TRIBBLE came on.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sorry to short-circuit your guide, but the installer linked in my signature works fine. If the link ever disappears, I will reupload it to cloud storage.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.