test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea for new directed energy distribution manifold

tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
The current directed energy distribution manifold is useless. Rainbow builds could use them, but that is a joke from many I have talked to. It is weak compared to the damage boost of the energy type specific tactical consoles. I would like to see a different mechanic for this console.

My idea is to make it increase burst damage by combining beam shots into one higher burst beam.

common - combine the next two beam shots from a beam array or bank, 4 second cool down

uncommon - combine the next two beam shots from a beam array or bank, 2 second cool down

rare - combine the next three beam shots from a beam array or bank, 3 second cool down

very rare - combine the next four beam shots from a beam array or bank, 4 second cool down

For example, an uncommon console activates on an array, it would charge for two seconds, then release the energy of two shots. (think TNG Enterprise-D phaser firing, where the two beam charges crawl along the arc of the saucer, and when they meet the beam fires at the target)

I was thinking each console after cool-down should pick the next array that is fired.
Combining multiple arrays might be interesting too, but not what I was suggesting.

I am not thinking of increased dps, but rather allowing increased burst damage instead.
Help get that shield facing down right before torpedoes hit.

It might be over powered to make this work with overload, but might be interesting.

What do you think?
Post edited by tinkerbelch on

Comments

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What happens when you equip more than one?

Also, if they just change the firing frequency, you still won't get more than overall base DPS, right?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If more than one is equipped, i was thinking it would act on the next array or bank that is fired.

Could keep it the base damage or keep the current bonus the console have now. Either way the trade off is less dps than specific energy type consoles; in trade for more burst.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What I haven't seen is a tricyclic console, Voyager was supposed to have one that was the reason they could transfer power so quickly across their systems or improve power to shields as often as they did.

I'd like to see something like that which didn't just improve power to one system but also improved the damage output of weapons and the shield defense at the same time for a short period by a certain percentage just to be fair about it. People could use the console on the intrepid or the cruiser fed ships and have an enhanced defense console.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It has some similarities to beam overload. Beam overload has problems though. Beam overload stops all other beams on the ship from firing. This console should not have that problem.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The idea is that if you specialize in something you'll be better at it, but weaker in other aspects.

that's how rock paper scissors game mechanics work.

rainbow builds for lack of a better term, are jack of all trades master of nothing. Your additional versatility comes from proc stacking, not overall damage output.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well the procs of rainbow builds do not stack their chance of activating. So, I don't agree that rainbow builds have any saving grace. sorry :) But perhaps keep this console and create a new one for what I'm suggesting.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Granted the chance to stack doesn't increase, but the procs themselves serve multiple effects on a single opponent, which is ~ in theory ~ preferable to a single proc striking over and over again.

So I very much like the idea of a console that increases the proc chance. Then you'd have to choose between an exotic tac console, or the straight dmg buff console or some mix of both.

I don't think i understand your other suggestion, that 2 beam arrays act as 1 when this console is equipped? or are you talking about another skill to the effect of a jury rigged beam overload? How does that make it preferable to using multiple weapon types over one?

I always thought of Fire at Will as the beam equivalent of burst damage, the problem is that it targets everything in range which draws aggro you might not want. I'd like to see a fire at will variant that allows you to be selective about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I like your idea. Increase proc chance, so that using multiple energy types gives you a chance to put multiple proc effects. Because right now the chance of putting more than one proc in a round of firing is very slim. I'll look up my statistics and try to figure that out.

As far as my suggestion, I was a big fan of how phasers fired in TNG or the game "bridge commander". I like seeing a massive beam firing rather than many beams firing separately. Like the quantum phaser on the vesta. I really would like to see a console that plays off that idea.
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Interesting idea, although I never have liked the idea of a rainbow boat. I was looking at one of these I got as loot to an STF yesterday and was thinking it should have a DEM effect but that could become OP real fast if not careful.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    In a round of 8 beams firing different energy types (32 shots), I'm getting around 11% chance that two different procs will happen in a 5 second round of firing. But, I will double check this
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting idea.

I for one would simply like then to make it a ship device/battery. That would help my power levels out tremendously.