test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you play a LEGO Star Trek game?

2»

Comments

• dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The other Lego games he has such as Batman and Star Wars were very good at the time, but now with operating system changes they no longer work and Lego do not release patches to fix them.

And that's one of the perks of not upgrading your OS the instant there's an upgrade...

Got Windows 7, LSW 1-3 work just fine, Indiana Jones 1-2 also work, Harry Potter 1 works fine, Pirates of the Caribbean works fine, and LotR works fine. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off:

dalolorn wrote: »
    And that's one of the perks of not upgrading your OS the instant there's an upgrade...

Got Windows 7, LSW 1-3 work just fine, Indiana Jones 1-2 also work, Harry Potter 1 works fine, Pirates of the Caribbean works fine, and LotR works fine. :P

Don't be so Rude. Not everyone has even an extra penny to spare for upgrading their OS system. Sheesh.

Second:
    My son was an avid fan of Lego Universe, their only MMO, as an 8 year old he was utterly engrossed and did really well, we bought him a subscription and he enjoyed it so much - until they pulled the plug. He was heart broken, along with many hundreds of thousands of other little kids, huge campaigns were started to try and keep the game alive but all to no avail. Lego didn't give a toss that they upset many devoted children, they only saw pound signs, as if the huge profits they make from their kits weren't enough to help subsidise their MMO whilst it became fully established.

We must have spent several thousand UK pounds over the years on Lego for my son as he grew up, the kits are extremely expensive considering they manufacture thousands of bricks a second. After LU went under he began to lose interest in Lego completely and now at the age of 9 he hardly plays with his tens of thousands of bricks and we don't have to splash out the stupid amount of money that this company charges.

STO by comparison is a very cheap game to play for him and provides a lot more entertainment as he grows up.

The other Lego games he has such as Batman and Star Wars were very good at the time, but now with operating system changes they no longer work and Lego do not release patches to fix them.

Lego are interested in one thing only, short term product profitability, they care nothing for the kids whose lives they disrupt and I for one would never buy another thing from them again.

This makes me sad. :( I'm sorry to hear that. It is such a shame when their is no care for others . It seems to be a common denominator of this planets present era's people. (Not all but many).

I'm glad though that your son , (if I understand you correctly), has got into STO. It is quite a good game indeed, for all ages. And also it should be a game that won't close-down anytime soon.

God Bless you.
    edited July 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    Don't be so Rude. Not everyone has even an extra penny to spare for upgrading their OS system. Sheesh.

But I said "NOT upgrading"...? :confused:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lego are interested in one thing only, short term product profitability, they care nothing for the kids whose lives they disrupt and I for one would never buy another thing from them again.

I don't think that's true at all. From all that I could see, LEGO cancelled Universe because they realized that it wasn't going to make a profit (it's hard to justify throwing good money after bad to a for-profit company, and honestly a kid-centered MMO is a hard sell), or at least not one comparable to actual bricks (which means that it's a better use of their money to focus on the latter), and that they decided it would be better to pull the servers than let the game and its community go stale as it languished in maintenance mode.

If they truly cared only for short-term profitability, they wouldn't have tried to make an MMO in the first place, and if they cared nothing for the disruption the cancellation caused, they probably wouldn't have offered full refunds for already-purchased game time.
    edited July 2013
    Hmm don't follow you here, I always wait months if not years to upgrade OS.

One of the issues I have is LSW will install on XP but won't run any more. I don't remember the specifics but it had something to do with DRM and the company running it no longer provides a code or something, sorry to be vague, all I know is it wouldn't run, neither will batman, and LU has been cancelled, so buying into any Lego software seems to be a risky venture to say the least.

What you're saying about LSW is a bit strange, and I don't know about Batman, as I don't have it. Pretty sad, though.

• yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It depends at what scale you're trying to build at. At micro, hand sized scale, it would work really well. At medium scale, hand holding scale, it wouldn't work well at all. At large scale (2 feet+ models), you can build a superstructure out of technic bricks and bars to give things strength where they need it.

Problem is to make curves look good with LEGO, since everything is very angular by nature.

Especially when building my Favourite ships like the Galaxy Class or Andrew Probert's CONCEPT Ambassador Class for example (i just love flowing shapes), you need to make it very big in order to make it look good. (of course i could never afford the necessary brick to do that)

So i would first create a interior superstructure, something like a super strong Spaceframe and build then the outer layer.
    Similar to how the ship was build in "real", according to the TNG tech. manual (grin).
    This construction would still be very fragile, especially at the very small neck of the Galaxy class.
    (I heard about people building thing with LEGO and using glue to make structures more sturdy. I haven had LEGO bricks in hands for years now but still the very thought of gluing LEGO bricks gives me the creeps. lol.)

I think it's time someone invents some real structural integrity fields, lol.

A ship like the Constitution on the other hand wouldn't require such a massive amount of parts, just a (very) sturdy Spaceframe to get some strong pylons and neck. Saucer, Engineering hull and Nacelles could be build with ordinary bricks.
    Another thing is to get the angle of the Pylons right, for example. Depending on the final size of the ship it could become some problem.
    (If the ship is only 40-80 cm long for example, i wouldn't recommend to make it even smaller if it is supposed to be sturdy and look good.)
    I imagine connecting Saucer with the Neck and Nacelles with the Pylons as a nightmare, lol.

Btw. sorry for being off topic.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Forget a game, I just want actual Lego Star Trek kits!

The Taco has his priorities strait.
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah IDK! I personally think that Disney is gunna ruin the look and feel of Star Wars.

Just cause Disney is all about mainly the kids and younger ages, and SW dosent seem like that at all.
    Thats the only reason i think Disney will ruin SW, cause there gunna make it for the viewers of kids.

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"