test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet long range science vessel

keirstekeirste Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Federation Discussion
just read this on the STO wiki page for this ship

With its high science layout, the Fleet Intrepid can be one of the most effective tanking vessels in the game, especially if equipped with the Borg Three Piece Weapon, Console set which allows for it to deploy the Ablative Armour look and animation without having the ablative armour console. However this vessel is completely made redundant by the Vesta and is now rarely seen at top tier level.

cant seem to get it to work? any body else have this or tried this?
direct link to the page below

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Long_Range_Science_Vessel_Retrofit
Post edited by keirste on

Comments

• zilla75zilla75 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Few questions for you then, what experience do you have? are u a sci? im a sci, we have a specific role, hard to kill stuff or tank exclusively, transfer shield strength, 2 copies unless u run feedback pulse with 2 directed energy consoles and fbp 3. or 3 consoles and fbp2. the most important thing is power in aux, for TSS and power in shields which helps with their "robustness" . tss and fbp share cooldown so its very redundant to run the 2. do you want to tank? in pvp or pve? lots of things going on,,,, later! always willing to help!
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've heard that it wasn't too popular even before the Vesta. I don't know the precise reasoning, but I can say that this sentiment isn't all that new.
  • starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I don't own one of these ships myself, I would say that the advice listed on that wiki page is completely nonsensical. Fleet-tier Cruisers are the best ships for true tanking. Sci vessels are able to heal-tank; the sci heals are regenerative whereas eng heals are instant. Sci ships, built well, can easily made to be very survivable, usually due to a low threat generation. Personally, I own a Fleet Adv Research Sci Vessel, which can have more Eng BOff.abilities than most Sci ships, making it an excellent healer - and any ship that is a good healer can usually use the same abilities on itself to effectively tank.

The Borg set is fairly versatile and a good choice for Sci ships; but that has nothing to do with the Ablative Armor console. Getting the Borg set before the Omega rep was introduced was very easy, so most pre-rep system players already have the Mk XI set stashed away. A well-known combination is to put the MACO shield with the rest of the Borg set.

You will not be able to use Ablative Armor without the console from the non-fleet version of the ship. From what I've heard, though, the console isn't the best.
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited July 2013
    I liked mine, but it wasn't the greatest for ESTF if I needed to do something other than DPS & throw heals. (Two Photon tubes + 2 PWO)

It sucked on Probes because it was really built as a 1:1 style ship. Pretty decent in PVP if I had some back up.

But the Vesta does the same job it did, only better and easier. It's more and the hanger just adds so much more to the ship. 2000 for Voyager + 500 for the Module for the Fleet version + a starbase with a high enough shipyard. 2500 for Vesta which is Fleet from the get go.

It was good, but is now surpassed in every way but Nostalgia.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I liked mine, but it wasn't the greatest for ESTF if I needed to do something other than DPS & throw heals. (Two Photon tubes + 2 PWO)

It sucked on Probes because it was really built as a 1:1 style ship. Pretty decent in PVP if I had some back up.

But the Vesta does the same job it did, only better and easier. It's more and the hanger just adds so much more to the ship. 2000 for Voyager + 500 for the Module for the Fleet version + a starbase with a high enough shipyard. 2500 for Vesta which is Fleet from the get go.

It was good, but is now surpassed in every way but Nostalgia.
    And looks :)
    starblade7 wrote: »
    You will not be able to use Ablative Armor without the console from the non-fleet version of the ship. From what I've heard, though, the console isn't the best.
    Yeah it's not. Short timer, long cooldown. It's good for an 'oh shi-' moment, but little else. If they had actually made it so that it lasts indefinitely then it would be a lot more viable. Make it so that it gives a ton of extra hitpoints, large DR, and as you take more and more fire the armour ablates away until you end up with your original ship.

Of course, transphasics are also supposed to one-shot cubes and they didn't have that, sooo...
    edited July 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    And looks :)

Yeah it's not. Short timer, long cooldown. It's good for an 'oh shi-' moment, but little else. If they had actually made it so that it lasts indefinitely then it would be a lot more viable. Make it so that it gives a ton of extra hitpoints, large DR, and as you take more and more fire the armour ablates away until you end up with your original ship.

Of course, transphasics are also supposed to one-shot cubes and they didn't have that, sooo...

I'd like to have seen the Ablative armour work more like the version the Romulans get. Quantum Absorption basically puts a shell over your ship that absorbs damage rather than taking it on the Hull. It also has 2 built in shield heals.

The Ablative Armour should work like that breaking off completely when you use deactivate or when it's gone. Obviously no shield heals but it's funny that every Romulan ship after T2 has that ability with a shorter cooldown and in a much better format.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have Fleet Intrepid Retrofit and yes, it can tank everything (except getting focus fired on by a complete team in PVP - but then, no ship can tank that alone) and works decently for both STFs and PVP. It's not the best choice for either of those, but it does the job very well.

The Armor console might have a short duration, but for those 15 seconds, I can (with defensive buffs and skills) get 96.6 percent hull resist vs. all incoming damage. It also has a very high shield modifier, you can have 16k per facing just by equipping the Adapted MACO Covariant shield and nothing else.

I know the Vesta can do everything better, but personal preference is something you can't challenge. I want to use the Intrepid because I like it.
    edited July 2013
    I have Fleet Intrepid Retrofit and yes, it can tank everything (except getting focus fired on by a complete team in PVP - but then, no ship can tank that alone) and works decently for both STFs and PVP. It's not the best choice for either of those, but it does the job very well.

The Armor console might have a short duration, but for those 15 seconds, I can (with defensive buffs and skills) get 96.6 percent hull resist vs. all incoming damage. It also has a very high shield modifier, you can have 16k per facing just by equipping the Adapted MACO Covariant shield and nothing else.

I know the Vesta can do everything better, but personal preference is something you can't challenge. I want to use the Intrepid because I like it.

Flying a ship that makes you happy is the most important criteria of any ship.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've never tried the fleet intrepid before but I've heard in the right hands and with a good build it can be pretty good.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It looks like a good CC ship for PVP, lots of hull, great shield modifier, good BOFF seating for a variety of attacks and defenses, and decent turn rate. I want one. I dont need a carrier bay or DHCs.