test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why I uninstalled STO

draknar88draknar88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hi all,

I tried coming back to STO 2 days ago, and while I enjoyed some of the improvements there were a couple things that made me decide it wasn't worth investing my time into this game.

While normally I'd just move on to something else (which I am going to do), I thought I should at least try and be a good person and help any future development as to what hurdles may be dissuading other potential players.

1) No PvP rewards? When I left originally it was a month after release, and at the time I primarily left due to personal reasons, not so much game mechanics. I was quite enjoying spending all of my time in PvP earning Medals which I would turn in for gear, which helped me PvP even more. However I tried searching for the current PvP sets and such, and after inquiring to my fleet as to what the deal is, they basically said there isn't any PvP rewards anymore.

This broke my heart. It's even worse considering I knew it WAS in the game at one point, why would content be removed?

2) I've had a mission in my log that I figured was bugged at release, one of the Episode missions "The Need of the Many". After flying around the Delta Volanis sector for 2 hours doing missions, I never found a planet in need that would complete the mission.

Now, perhaps I was in the wrong location, to which I would blame poor mission writing or map layout. Perhaps I was in the right place but the correct event never spawned, to which I'd blame poor quest design or bug fixes.

Considering that mission has been in there for YEARS, and yet never fixed (or is it a case of "all bugs are working as intended"?) just tells me that I shouldn't waste my time in this game.

Granted, I wouldn't expect many changes now since Cryptic now has new visions in NeverWinter (which is fine and good, that's a part of our great capitalistic system, support that which earns money and ignore the rest). But for any skeleton crew still working on this game, you may want to work on some polish so that new or returning players (such as myself) don't just give up after a couple days.

Oh and perhaps I should also point out that it took quite a bit of effort for me to even try to get back into the game...between reading wikis and forums and figuring out where I am, what I should be doing, what goals I should have, etc. etc. that's not the type of involvement a more casual player would be willing to put up with.

To the great community though, who I've found to be so helpful and supportive, to you I say "Live Long and Prosper".
Post edited by draknar88 on

Comments

• Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    draknar88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I tried coming back to STO 2 days ago, and while I enjoyed some of the improvements there were a couple things that made me decide it wasn't worth investing my time into this game.

While normally I'd just move on to something else (which I am going to do), I thought I should at least try and be a good person and help and future development as to what hurdles may be dissuading other potential players.

1) No PvP rewards? When I left originally it was a month after release, and at the time I primarily left due to personal reasons, not so much game mechanics. I was quite enjoying spending all of my time in PvP earning Medals which I would turn in for gear, which helped me PvP. However I tried searching for the current PvP sets and such, and after inquiring to my fleet as to what the deal is, they basically said there isn't any PvP rewards anymore.

This broke my heart. It's even worse considering I knew it WAS in the game at one point, why would content be removed?

2) I've had a mission in my log that I figured was bugged at release, one of the Episode missions "The Need of the Many". After flying around the Delta Volanis sector for 2 hours doing missions, I never found a planet in need that would complete the mission.

Now, perhaps I was in the wrong location, to which I would blame poor mission writing or map layout. Perhaps I was in the right place but the correct event never spawned, to which I'd blame poor quest design or bug fixes.

Considering that mission has been in there for YEARS, and yet never fixed (or is it a case of "all bugs are working as intended"?) just tells me that I shouldn't waste my time in this game.

Granted, I wouldn't expect many changes now since Cryptic now has new visions in NeverWinter (which is fine and good, that's a part of our great capitalistic system, support that which earns money and ignore the rest). But for any skeleton crew still working on this game, you may want to work on some polish so that new or returning players (such as myself) don't just give up after a couple days.

Oh and perhaps I should also point out that it took quite a bit of effort for me to even try to get back into the game...between reading wikis and forums and figuring out where I am, what I should be doing, what goals I should have, etc. etc. that's not the type of involvement a more casual player would be willing to put up with.

To the great community though, who I've found to be so helpful and supportive, to you I say "Live Long and Prosper".

Yeah, the Feds are behind the times now. Sucks that you uninstalled, but the Romulan and Klingon (some of it anyway) aren't bad at all.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You do get rewards for pvp - you can earn dilithium while fighting you just have to start the mission in your journal before you go in.

Missions in your log that won't complete big deal. What are you doing playing the most worthless there is anyway.

Want to trade with me I waited 8 months for the ground costume to be fixed and I am currently crashing in sector space after the release of LoR.

So get some real problems then you can complain.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just another whiner don't let a photon torpedo hit you on your way out. Must suck that everyone has a shot at the good gear and you can't stand your "elitism" being taken away. Go back to ******** whiner.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi all,

While normally I'd just move on to something else (which I am going to do), I thought I should at least try and be a good person and help and future development as to what hurdles may be dissuading other potential players.

1) No PvP rewards? When I left originally it was a month after release, and at the time I primarily left due to personal reasons, not so much game mechanics. I was quite enjoying spending all of my time in PvP earning Medals which I would turn in for gear, which helped me PvP. However I tried searching for the current PvP sets and such, and after inquiring to my fleet as to what the deal is, they basically said there isn't any PvP rewards anymore.

1. they are several PVP missions that give rewards and there is also the PVPVE zones for both ground and space.

2. it is random if you get a planet in need, you just had really bad luck, i have gotten them three times in a row, and then another time got none for a week.

3. This game actually does have decently frequent updates, we just got LOR. I am Pretty sure they have not completely abandoned STO. For whta its worth, Neverwinter's cash shop is incredibly overpriced and it is in much worse condition then STO is. There have been exploits for weeks in neverwinter that have not been fixed yet, at least with STO most exploits are fixed within the week.

4. it does not take hours of reading to do PVE or PVE, at the most maybe an hour, you can even just ask in-game and you can get a lot of help on what you should do. For any MMO, any endgame generally consists of getting gear from missions, Raids (STFs in this game), and PVP. if you do not find that rewarding enough then you will not fin many MMO's fun.

J
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's an issue with the Feds currently certainly. The Fed content, which is the oldest, isn't really "fixed", and isn't up to par with the newer Klingon and Romulan content. I also returned recently but have only played Romulan (which I would have played if they were available at release) and not my old Fed character very much, but I think Fed has issues still lingering from the launch phase from what I have seen.
  • Options
    ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1. The old medals and similar things (Marks of Honour, Starfleet merits, Exploration Badges) have all been combined and replaced with the Dilithium system long ago. Dilithium is now used to get all the things formerly bought with the old currencies and is rewarded for PvP, STFs, exploration and similar things, instead of the old medals. The gear you can get with the reward remains the same, however, and has even been expanded.

2. This isn't a bug, and nether poor quest design.
    The Mission you mention is part of the exploration cluster missions. Every planet is randomly generated the moment you visit it and deleted afterwards, so you will never visit the same exact planet twice (you will however do the same mission twice and a lot more often)
    If your version of the Planet seeking aid is still saved somewhere, you should have a small icon on the bottom right screen allowing you to port directly to it to finish your mission once you enter the right cluster.

Also, there is hardly only a skeleton crew working, Cryptic has been dishing out tons of new content (fleet starbases, Romulan playable faction, new Reputation system, new missions, fully playable klingon faction etc.) and neverwinter is handled by a completely different Team.

And things don't get any more casual then STO, tbh, the basic missions should take you by the hand and lead you to Lv 50 and every NPC worth knowing regarding STFs, PvP and the rep system with tutorials popping up along the way.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you uninstalled because of the Outreach mission ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Edit : Oh, and I quit threads are expressly forbidden in the forum rules.
    I wouldn't expect this thread to last long.

Cue someone with a Gif of Geordi diving beneath a door soon.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Well.....bye." ~ Curly Bill, Tombstone
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    As i am sure Brandon will say before this is closed - the game is free so you can come back any time you like but "i quit" threads are not allowed.

You might not get too much sympathy here from just 2 days of giving it a try. If you feel inclined you can always re-install and roll a Romulan toon - you might just like the new story and ships.

Good Luck
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can I haz your goldz...........I mean EC? IBFL
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Beat me to it *shakes fist*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    painkillerjaynepainkillerjayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Congratulations!

You have posted the one-millionth "I Quit" thread!

You win teh interwebz! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Command Officers of the USS Wyvern (from left to right):
    Aurellia Eshkah (Tactical); Indigo Shae (Engineering); Nysiay Chysiayki (VA, Ship Captain)
    Jeclia Sek (Science); Vally Mantivour (Security)
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited July 2013
    I would argue the the dilithium reward options for PvP are insufficient. . .but it's true, there ARE some rewards attached to PvP. Just not enough, imo.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited July 2013
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Just another whiner don't let a photon torpedo hit you on your way out. Must suck that everyone has a shot at the good gear and you can't stand your "elitism" being taken away. Go back to ******** whiner.

Are you making a comment about 'elitist' PvP players?
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Grabs a bowl of gorn flakes and sits backs comfortably to watch.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *eyerolls* This community, sometimes... he praises your helpfulness and in turn some of you just troll him? Pathetic.

The Devs have said repeatedly how the initial experience could make or break a free-to-play MMO. What the opening poster reveals is of value because it gives insight the Devs can take into account when they plan to give the starter Fed-content an overhaul.

He didn't need to share it. He could've gone the lazy way and just said nothing. But, he did.

So, draknar88, I thank you for sharing the whys of your uninstallation. I would have provided you belated hints that might have allowed you to get past your issues, but other helpful posters have already covered that part. Hopefully we'll see you around sometime later. Have fun. :)
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In before close. :^p
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can I have your stuff?:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi all,

While normally I'd just move on to something else (which I am going to do), I thought I should at least try and be a good person and help any future development as to what hurdles may be dissuading other potential players.

1) No PvP rewards? When I left originally it was a month after release, and at the time I primarily left due to personal reasons, not so much game mechanics. I was quite enjoying spending all of my time in PvP earning Medals which I would turn in for gear, which helped me PvP even more. However I tried searching for the current PvP sets and such, and after inquiring to my fleet as to what the deal is, they basically said there isn't any PvP rewards anymore.

obviously your not a star trek fan..... if you weren't interested in the game from the start, then why'd you be into it now?

so you don't like it.........what's your point? There's many here whom do like the game, and it's those of us whom Do, that the STO team and Cryptic consider, obviously....

I still don't understand the point to this post.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "I quit" threads generally have the lifespan of a little butterfly...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    otakuboyt wrote: »
    Beat me to it *shakes fist*
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Can I have your stuff?:D
    I am dismayed I wasn't fast enuff to get some of this free stuff. If he had any Tetryon Beam Arrays Mk I, can I haz those, plz? I have a Miranda class all decked out in white they would be perfect for.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "I quit" threads generally have the lifespan of a little butterfly...

3 pages and going :D. They didn't closed this topic because he uninstalled instead of quit ;) .
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    obviously your not a star trek fan..... if you weren't interested in the game from the start, then why'd you be into it now?

so you don't like it.........what's your point? There's many here whom do like the game, and it's those of us whom Do, that the STO team and Cryptic consider, obviously....

I still don't understand the point to this post.

I'm kinda confused too. Left after a month of playing and then came back for two days?

Having that outreach mission still open after however long is also a sign that in that month, it seems that not much actual playing happened either. So if I have this right, this is an I quit thread about quitting a game you didn't really get into in the first place? :confused:

Everyone has their own personal tastes and a right to them, but yea, I don't get the point of this post either.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    3 pages and going :D. They didn't closed this topic because he uninstalled instead of quit ;) .
    It hasn't been closed yet because BranFlakes is flying from Amsterdam back to the US. He's dealing with a long flight and a 9 hour time difference. I have no idea where all the Moderators are. Probably on summer vacation. I'm sure one of them will get to it eventually, though. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In before lock, whee!
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It hasn't been closed yet because BranFlakes is flying from Amsterdam back to the US. He's dealing with a long flight and a 9 hour time difference. I have no idea where all the Moderators are. Probably on summer vacation. I'm sure one of them will get to it eventually, though. :)

Amsterdam?? Probably only because he needed to go to Schiphol, A'dam is just like the Hague; one of the gutters of Holland (yup, i am dutch and lucky that i live in a moderately little village).

Next time go through Eindhoven, more fun, less red light districts :P .
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find it funny when some people don't like I quit threads, yet when they see one they have to enter it and reply to it even if its something stupid like "IBL"... if you just ignored it... it would fall off the first page pretty fast.

I don't mind I quit threads myself, I like to see if they have any good feedback.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Amsterdam?? Probably only because he needed to go to Schiphol, A'dam is just like the Hague; one of the gutters of Holland (yup, i am dutch and lucky that i live in a moderately little village).

Next time go through Eindhoven, more fun, less red light districts :P .
    PW's European office is in Amsterdam. BranFlakes has been working from there for the last 5 weeks. He's now on his way home. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
This discussion has been closed.