test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pros/cons Of Removing Penalty Timer

2»

Comments

• matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let me ask one question to all those who advocate private queue: which one is faster: public or private?

Also, I'm confused why are you guys are worry about penalty timer removal if you're using private queue?

I like pugs because it's fast and I don't need to worry about socialize with others. Also, when I'm flying around doing some mission or stuff, pugs are the way to go.

Private queues are normally for group of friends to have fun together or help others getting drops or show other how to play.

I'm sorry but I'm very choosy about my friends. I cant be friend with anyone. Hence, I don't have a couple hundred of friends on the list.
    edited July 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    On that point we all agree. Removing the penalty timer doesn't solve this though.

How so? If we quit and leave the afkers there, they don't have any reward and also wasting their time. What is more poetic than that?
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    How so? If we quit and leave the afkers there, they don't have any reward and also wasting their time. What is more poetic than that?

So, you join up for an ESTF Pug,

match found, you accept,

you warp into a match where 2 guys are afk, the other 3 have left allready, and before you can do anything about it, you read:

Mission failed.

You now have a Wait time, because you finished a match.

But! But the System could only start fresh games!

In that case, we would see an exponential increase in running matches, why?
    Because everytime someone feels butthurt for whatever reason, he will instantly leave
    any STF in progress, and why not? He can rejoin instantly.

Leavin us not only with an hughe increase in server load, but with an increase in lost ESTFs aswell.

All in all, the penalty timer is a *good* thing, because it helps to prevent a lot of even worse issues.

the best solution to get "rid of" AFKers is the Solution World of ******** has for its PvP matches, you can "report" anybody as AFK, if you do so, the player in question will get a note onscreen, that he has been flagged AFK, and, that if he does not join the fight, he will be booted in xx seconds.

Same could be applied here, Mark someone AFK, he gets a onscreen message, that he has been flagged AFK, if he, from the point of beeing flagged on, does not start doing damage within a certain timeframe, he gets booted from the match + he recieves the full penalty timer.

You could even go as far as, if someone gets booted to often for beeing afk, he gets a lock down of all ESTFs for a 12/24/48 hour duration.
    edited July 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    So, you join up for an ESTF Pug,

match found, you accept,

you warp into a match where 2 guys are afk, the other 3 have left allready, and before you can do anything about it, you read:

Mission failed.

You now have a Wait time, because you finished a match.

But! But the System could only start fresh games!

In that case, we would see an exponential increase in running matches, why?
    Because everytime someone feels butthurt for whatever reason, he will instantly leave
    any STF in progress, and why not? He can rejoin instantly.

Leavin us not only with an hughe increase in server load, but with an increase in lost ESTFs aswell.

All in all, the penalty timer is a *good* thing, because it helps to prevent a lot of even worse issues.

the best solution to get "rid of" AFKers is the Solution World of ******** has for its PvP matches, you can "report" anybody as AFK, if you do so, the player in question will get a note onscreen, that he has been flagged AFK, and, that if he does not join the fight, he will be booted in xx seconds.

Same could be applied here, Mark someone AFK, he gets a onscreen message, that he has been flagged AFK, if he, from the point of beeing flagged on, does not start doing damage within a certain timeframe, he gets booted from the match + he recieves the full penalty timer.

You could even go as far as, if someone gets booted to often for beeing afk, he gets a lock down of all ESTFs for a 12/24/48 hour duration.

You logic is faulty.

For all the years I've eSTFed, I've never experienced the scenario you described above. So stop bsing. The suggestion of removing the penalty timer is stemmed from the new Nukara pugs. There is no afkers in those pugs. The model works, so it should also work for STF.

Report afkers? LMAO. You welcome to try and see how far it gets u. Also, penalty timer has created another problem: moron arses who have never bothered to learn how to play as a team or listen to others.

As I said, you are welcome to use private queue if you don't want to experience quitters.

It all end up with a choice: quitters or Afkers/arses. No penalty timer, no afkers/arses but quitters. With timer, no quitters but afkers/arses. If you prefer afkers/arses, it's ur choice, but it make me ponder if you aren't one of them.

As for server load, it's all your imagination. I've been working IT/admin from highschool to university, and such things cant affect the server load. Also, for your information, it might be true back in the old days where cpu/memory cost was high. Now, hardware bottle neck isn't a problem anymore unless cryptic is using servers from 2000, which have single core and slow memory bandwidth.

Off course, no1 says that penalty timer removal should be a permanent solution. It's a temp solution until cryptic implement the no-team-with-ppl-in-ignore-list which is the best solution to all the problems: afkers/quitters/arses/morons.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited July 2013
    How about remove the cooldown timer and penalty from private events and leave the pug's with them. Also add a kick option from the team leader in private events. Doing that all the good players will form teams leaving pugs to the less experianced and lazy. So far i have only seen one person afk and that was only for a couple minutes as his connection wasnt working, once the connection straightened out he did his part in the estf. How you people get so many afk players is beyond me and i do pug estf's all the time.

Whatever happens in a pug is not worth worrying about, so someone sits at spawn and does nothing, or the team is full of inexperianced players(being called idiots in this thread by elitist arsewipes), or a good team. it is a pug and you get what you get for doing them. You want a good team then DO NOT pug, otherwise put up and shut up.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek: