test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Caitian Beachcomber

rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Hello, I just purchased the Risian explorer outfit, and it seems to have unlocked for my character the beachcomber pants, and I noticed some issues while playing with it that I wanted to bring up.

First off, the texture of the barefoot option, Feline Basic, doesn't blend well with the caitian fur leg texture, there is a noticeable difference between the two textures, and in game the feet are noticeably brighter than the legs, especially at night.

Geometry wise, I noticed that there is some deformation in the foot at the bottom of the shin, there is a slight indent and it looks rather unnatural. As well, there is a visible seam where the foot model meets the end of the leg, at least in the costume creator when one leg is in a shadow.

Overall I do like the look of the costume, though it seems to be made of a shiny material, when I think a matte one would be more appropriate, even the pants look like they are made of leather instead of khaki or denim.

Feet_in_game.png
Feet_In_editor.png
I found a plot hole! NURSE!
Post edited by rayeth on

Comments

• rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ahhh yes, I posted about this, didn't notice an indent though. It does seem strange that the feet don't match even though they only go with one costume piece, the legs!
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, it's rather disconcerting, like I'm wearing boots with a shiny cat skin texture on them...
    I found a plot hole! NURSE!
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Feet naked Feet Feet Feet Feet Feet
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
    edited July 2013
    ^wut?

BTW if you want to cover up the ankle texture join and clipping on the shorts, the daisy chains can be placed on the ankles and waist. I'm farming some up now.
  • biidibiidi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I came here looking to see if anyone was having the same odd texture problem I was, but I find something not quite similar. (sent bug report in-game anyway)

Just got the Beachcomber outfit for my Caitian and went to set it up. Seems the Risian natives don't like hairy legs and shaved her.

CaitianBareLegsSmall_zps352b71da.jpg

Same type of thing happened with the short winter jackets.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    manzalot spams every thread that mentions feet, ignore him.

As I explained in the thread about trill feet, and various threads about the trill collar, this is probably because the foot texture is a different resolution from the thigh texture. I've worked with High res 3d models of people in other programs, and even at that res it is extremely difficult to match a pattern between two textures. The game models are a much lower res, making things infinitely more difficult. Obviously, with the Trills, they could mask it by fading out the pattern before the feet, but clearly that's not possible with caitians.

I don't know what's causing Biidi's issue, I've used skirts and things on caitians before without problems.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    biidi wrote: »
    I came here looking to see if anyone was having the same odd texture problem I was, but I find something not quite similar. (sent bug report in-game anyway)

Just got the Beachcomber outfit for my Caitian and went to set it up. Seems the Risian natives don't like hairy legs and shaved her.

Simple reason really. The outfit defaults to the shaven legs. Look for a costume setting called legs or somesuch; you'll want to select "bare legs feline" from the list.
  • biidibiidi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh for cryin' out loud I'm an idiot, did not even notice that option AT ALL.

Onto the topic of the thread, I'll definitely be taking rikev's advice and turning Keitti into a hippie. :P Had to do kinda the same with my ferasan and the winter jacket making a highly visible neck seam.
    edited July 2013
    The leg texture option got me at first too. That moment you think "AAAARGHH! All that currency grinding and it gives me something that won't match!" before noticing the texture dropdown. :lol:
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It kills me that for how great some of the art assets in this game look, there are some that are done just terribly bad, the Body skins are one of them. They need to find a way to add a few more options to the tailor from the CO creator that would allow us to better shape the body, definition, and add custom skin effects to my characters body as well. Its ridiculous that only 3 of the skins in game are full body and everything else just ends awkwardly at the neck. This is something that should have been fixed a long time ago, especially given that we're paying for some of the open uniforms as well as grinding to earn others.
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    biidi wrote: »

Those Risans are braver than I thought. I tried shaving my cat's legs once and have the scars to prove it. :D
    His methods have become unsound.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I did notice that it seems the species specific bare legs/chest don't seem to be set as default on the risian outfits. Even on my trill, the default was regular bare skin. Usually the outfits that show skin select your species type by default.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm trying to build a comprehensive thread on costume/tailor issues (see my signature). Does this problem still exist?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.