test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Add transparency option to sunglasses

otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Since day 3, I have asked for glasses. I have begged, pleaded, and even on occasion asked.
I even though since it's the same engine you could import some stuff from Champions Online.

Now we have them, somewhat.

I picked up 2 pairs to see if I can make them usable for me. I was wrong.

Here is my idea, add an transparency option for the lenses on the glasses.

Here is crude mock up of some at about 50% opacity

9236717730_ec73c9c89e_o.jpg

As you can tell my my signature I really want glasses.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by otakuboyt on

Comments

• robertusorobertuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I have also wanted this since the beginning.

Also would like rectangle shaped glasses as well
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Where are the side bows on these glasses. It looks kinda silly to have floating sunglasses.

Sorry to say, these things could use some work.
  • otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sides would be nice, frankly I just figured these glasses were pince-nez style
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aetherscapistaetherscapist Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is a reason there are no glasses options so far in STO; have you really every seen anyone wearing glasses in the Star Trek universe? I'll eager the answer is no, and they even cover an explanation for that in a few episodes. People simply aren't born with weak eyes anymore, and thus no need for glasses. A little but of tampering while in the womb, and people will never develop weak eyes. On the rate occasions people are born with our develop weak eyes, there are treatments such as a more modern type of Retinax,

Before anyone brings it up, yes I am aware that in the Original Series movies, Kirk was established as wearing reading glasses, but that was around 125 years in the past for STO, and even in the relatively near future of Next Generation we never see anyone wearing glasses for any reason.
  • otakuboytotakuboyt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've never seen anyone wear sunglasses either and we have those.

However, lore wise it's part of my character and personally, I prefer the "me" character to have glasses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robertusorobertuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Constitution, nx, tos uniforms, enterprise uniforms, twok uniforms, etc. no one had those in next generation, but they are still in STO. Glasses should not be an exception.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is a reason there are no glasses options so far in STO; have you really every seen anyone wearing glasses in the Star Trek universe? I'll eager the answer is no, and they even cover an explanation for that in a few episodes. People simply aren't born with weak eyes anymore, and thus no need for glasses. A little but of tampering while in the womb, and people will never develop weak eyes. On the rate occasions people are born with our develop weak eyes, there are treatments such as a more modern type of Retinax,

Before anyone brings it up, yes I am aware that in the Original Series movies, Kirk was established as wearing reading glasses, but that was around 125 years in the past for STO, and even in the relatively near future of Next Generation we never see anyone wearing glasses for any reason.

1) In a deleted scene of Insurrection there was an officer with glasses:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Glasses

2) If TNG had no cure for blindness or baldness yet, why would they have a cure for nearsightedness?

3) Glasses are cool. people now-a-days have non-prescription glasses just to be cooler. Why would we prohibit our future selves from those possibilities?
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Kirk uses a pair of antique reading glasses in one of the movies.
  • aetherscapistaetherscapist Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all, congenital blindness is a far cry different than just weak eyesight. Baldness is merely a cosmetic problem, the type of thing they seem to just look past by the 24th century. As a result, neither are really suitable comparisons. A deleted scene didn't make it into the movie, and thus never happened.
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Kirk uses a pair of antique reading glasses in one of the movies.

Geez, didn't I just say in my post that I acknowledge that? That was also like I said, roughly a century before TNG, and a quarter of a century more by STO time.

All this being said, let me point out that I'm not exactly opposed to getting glasses in STO, it didn't bother me at all; just playing canon devils advocate, and pointing out the reasons it'll probably never happen.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Geez, didn't I just say in my post that I acknowledge that? That was also like I said, roughly a century before TNG, and a quarter of a century more by STO time.

Yeah, on second reading you did. I must not have read the last paragraph of your post - which completely negates everything prior.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In WoK, Kirk uses glasses because he is allergic to 'Retinax'.

It isn't clear that everyone in 2409 would have perfect vision:
    - Some people never get genetic fixes? Say, on a remote colony?
    - Some people are allergic to other treatments?
    - Some people just want to wear glasses as an affectation?
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Kirk's glasses are from an antique store who acquired them from Kirk when he went back to 1986, and thus are not only rare antiques but temporal paradoxes.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Actually, Kirk says he's allergic to Retinax.
    76561198032353876.png
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited July 2013
    Sunglasses are not made to correct vision but to make bright light less bright. Are you saying in the 24th century our eyes can adjust to sunglare off a shiny object like welding goggles? Are you saying that people have advanced past having a sense of fashion? :cool:

Also consider when the TNG era shows were made contacts were what people with bad eyes and worried about looks wore, having glasses was not desireable. Anyone in TV or movies then that wore glasses was either an old person or the nerd in the show. while today wearing glasses is less of an issue because people wear them to make themselves look more inteligent and sophisticated. So there is nothing wrong with people wanting a character to have glasses for the same fashion reason people wear them today. If you have a problem with that then just imagine those glasses are a future version of google glass.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek: