test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion for new PvP content

kirschtkirscht Member Posts: 95 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Thought I'd throw this out.

Imagine you're on your way to a distant galaxy when you get jumped by a Klingon bird-of-prey. That would probably be a risk in the actual star trek universe. Why not make it a risk in STO, as well.

As I fly through sector space I pass players flying ships from each faction. What if, for example, as I pass by a player flying a KDF or Romulan empire, ship, I could engage them in a match. Here some details I think would make this interesting:

1) It could work similar to the "engage enemy contact" option we have with NPC's through out sector space.

2) Unlike normal PvP matches, your ship should be able to incur damage.

3) Maybe a best of 3 style play.

4) Perhaps, even in the middle of combat, either party could enlist up to 2 teammates as re-enforcements, resulting in the option to the outnumbered player to disengage and warp out, or keep fighting.

5) for those who are members of fleets, the victor could be awarded points that count towards a point system for the fleet. Perhaps the loser cold even lose a few points for their fleet.

6) in order to keep it somewhat equitable, maybe it is only for VA's (and/or maybe only for fleet members).

7) It may be annoying to get attacked when your on your way somewhere, especially to meet up with someone, but I would argue that that would be consistent with the risk of interstellar travel in the star trek universe. If you were meeting up with someone, perhaps they could try and rush to your aid.
Post edited by kirscht on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kirscht wrote: »
    What if, for example, as I pass by a player flying a KDF or Romulan empire, ship, I could engage them in a match.

Right-click the player.
    Left-click Challenge Player.
  • kirschtkirscht Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Right-click the player.
    Left-click Challenge Player.

I'm already aware that we can do that. But I think based on the rest of my suggestion I'm talking about something a little more involved and, perhaps, interesting. (unless I am unaware that the current challenge system already does everything I suggested.) Besides, the current challenge system is an invitation is it not? I'm speaking more of an attack whether they like it or not.
  • kirschtkirscht Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Perhaps it could be something restricted to fleets, and be part of a broader diplomatic/conflict type play between fleets.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm speaking more of an attack whether they like it or not.
    Involuntary PVP is a ground-up thing, the game has to be designed to use it from the start and in every fashion, and the publisher has to be willing to cater to the players who find it attractive since no other kind of player will stay around for it. It would never work in this game. Never.

The closest you can come is PVP zones where entering the zone is consenting to PVP (like Ker'rat). Or a toggle, where Players agree to be attacked wherever they are. Barring that, the challenge option is as close as you can get to dynamic PVP.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm speaking more of an attack whether they like it or not.

Which will never happen in this game. I should have typed more than I did in that initial reply, but I thought that aspect should be obvious.

If it was a system where folks could optionally flag themselves to partake in such actions, the most likely result would be other players camping high traffic areas and just ganking individuals as they flew through...which in turn would result in players no longer flagging themselves and the system failing.

While there may be PvP in this game, this is not a PvP game...have to keep that in mind. No doubt there are ways to improve PvP in the game, but one has to keep in mind the nature of the game and filter any suggestions through that - further keeping in mind how players would attempt to abuse any such systems, etc, etc, etc.