test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Merge the Risa maps!

lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
According to this post, the old Risa map is going to be replace entirely? Why must this happen? Why must the old Risa be wasted?

If anything, BOTH maps should be merged into one really large map! It could be a miniature island chain! Doing this is the best way to create traffic into a map that is never used, while keeping a map that already has a large traffic base.

Please, Cryptic? Merge the maps?
I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Post edited by lindaleff on

Comments

• Options
    blazingangel426blazingangel426 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »
    According to this post, the old Risa map is going to be replace entirely? Why must this happen? Why must the old Risa be wasted?

If anything, BOTH maps should be merged into one really large map! It could be a miniature island chain! Doing this is the best way to create traffic into a map that is never used, while keeping a map that already has a large traffic base.

i agree they should merge the maps, that would be awesome!!!!!:D
  • Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I totally agree as well, they would do well to merge them, think of it like an island chain, like Hawaii :) for example.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if they can update the old map to include the new day and night cycle?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I personally have used both maps, and I love both. I myself have been to Hawaii a few times, and I loved how each island was very similar, but also had unique differences that created a new experience. If you make the miniature Risa island chain, you can create a similar environment.

And for those of us who have jetpacks, please keep them functional. I don't care if they only work on Risa, but they should at least stay operational. Here on Risa, they can be a great tool for exploring the islands. Come to think of it, that could very well be the method required to cross the water and get from one island to the other.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    They cannot just "merge" maps, the current one is likely the maximum size for ground maps and if it wasn't they still CANNOT MERGE MAPS.
    You obviously have never alpha or beta tested a game.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they could make a low priority "beam to" so we can beam back and fourth, that'd be cool. Link them that way
    -Makbure
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hawaii does have airlines and boats that shuttle between islands. The Big Island has the volcano, Oahu has surfing on the North Shore.

But in STO, the devs would need to provide a good reason to beam between the islands, and that will likely not happen unless it stays a event map.

I don't mean staying the summer event. I mean like Defera, where you go to Temple for this mission, go to Power Plant for that mission. So for Risa, you could buzz the volcano here, do fishing at this location, jetpack obstacle courses at that island. Something like that.
  • Options
    rainmotorsportsrainmotorsports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Second, they already said the old map and the new map are going to stay (they cannot just remove the old map as it would affect Foundry missions, if they do that later they will give ample warning before that)

....They can remove any map from the game as a normal map without affecting the Foundry. Have you ever been in the foundry? Just because a map is removed from being the beam in map in a system doesn't mean it has to be removed from the game. Old earth space dock for example still there.
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There just needs to be ONE Risa, not two. I hope they eventually pick one and go with it. Preferably the new one they are using for the event, the old one was so lacking. There is no resort on the old one, how could it even be Risa by definition.
  • Options
    loukocloukoc Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree with merging the maps. The old Risa may be lacking but it's still a damn good map with lots of places to explore with the floater. It may need a graphics update to fit with the new one but I like it.

Either merge maps or keep one of them only and enable the floaters all year round (they're a great feature, don't waste it, after all we can still use Frosty Boots).
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The old Risa has those observation huts atop the cliffs, and it even has a small water cave. That island of itself is a beauty, and we would be devastated to lose it.

The two islands really do need to become a miniature chain.
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really? I've always thought old Risa looked sorta dry empty & undetailed. Added, also no bank or trade area making it pretty useless

-V
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How big is the new Risa resort map compared to New Romulus, the current biggest ground map, I believe?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The old map looked terrible. (Seriously, what was up with the giant pineapples everywhere?) :confused:
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think both maps should stay, as they both have differnet uses. And yes, there should be some kind of direct travel between the two.

This is what I posted under "Risa to Risa taxi speedboat/beam option" in the Events section:

"One thing I'd really like to see added to the map is some sort direct link from the resort island (where the event is held) to the relaxation island (original Risa map). It could be a 'taxi' speedboat at the beach/pier, or an additional button added to the transporter pad on the boardwalk. Actually both would be cool. :) It would be nice also if the relaxation island also had the same options to get to the resort island as well."

Seems like a simple, elegant solution to 'merge' both Risa maps while keeping them two distinctly different islands.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    My own personal opinion is that the old map is atrocious. It is ugly, and doesn't feel like what Risa was supposed to be.

Yes, we can 'merge' maps, but it's no small feat. F2pDrakron is correct that copying either map into the other would require moving everything on the map (objects, terrain, volumes, npcs, etc.) around to accommodate both. This is not something we have really ever done, but it is possible. I don't expect that will happen with the Risas. There is no real need to, and the maps have such differing art styles they don't look like they belong together.

Foundry maps are saved off from the regular versions of the maps. They are independent. If (note hypothetical) we were to remove the old Risa map, the UGC version would be unaffected, including npcs.

Risa is roughly 2/3 the size of New Romulus (if memory serves).
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You know... there is a much much simpler answer here than map merging and arguing over programming difficulty..

1. Fill in whatever gaps need to be filled in the old map to make it Jetpack worthy, Give it day and night and a little more color.
    2. Move the Risan Corvette into the map on both Risa versions and give it a door to a transporter room.
    3. Call one island the Island of Dax and the other the Island of.. something
    4. Connect the maps through beam across.
    5. Profit!
  • Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Speaking of the Foundry, will the new Risa map ever get opened up for Foundry use?
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dunno, I'd just as soon see the old map go away. It never really served any purpose, there's nothing to do there except visit the ERP Cave or jump off the cliff.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just scrap the old one and make the new event one the default one for Risa... The new is awesome and should have been what Risa was supposed to be to start with...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    rainmotorsportsrainmotorsports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yes you can but you affect foundry missions that use said map and use said map NPCs as contacts if you do, the reason why old Risa is not going away is because it had contacts and door used in several Foundry missions that would cease to function as they should.

I can go back and say again it wont be the first time for that either. The mission start points in the old esd shipyard area are still there when you go to create a mission start point. Even better the old esd shipyard is actually present on the new esd map but you can't get to it.

So when they removed that map they did fail to remove some of the contact points.
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    My own personal opinion is that the old map is atrocious. It is ugly, and doesn't feel like what Risa was supposed to be.

Yes, we can 'merge' maps, but it's no small feat. F2pDrakron is correct that copying either map into the other would require moving everything on the map (objects, terrain, volumes, npcs, etc.) around to accommodate both. This is not something we have really ever done, but it is possible. I don't expect that will happen with the Risas. There is no real need to, and the maps have such differing art styles they don't look like they belong together.

Foundry maps are saved off from the regular versions of the maps. They are independent. If (note hypothetical) we were to remove the old Risa map, the UGC version would be unaffected, including npcs.

Risa is roughly 2/3 the size of New Romulus (if memory serves).

Why can't you just create a counterpart of every interactable object on old Risa? As far as I recount, there were only a few rocks/plants and 2 NPC contacts or so. Couldn't you simply move those few objects over (Plant inside cave on old map = plant inside cave on new map)? And then simply ask every Foundry author with a mission using the old Risa map (which shouldn't be that many) to re-check those mission (just like you do after every Foundry-reboot after big patches).
  • Options
    zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lindaleff wrote: »

I wholeheartedly love your idea. It would sort of be like Lost with the two islands even more then...if they do this there really does need to be a beast stalking the wilds of this place...then we will have an excuse to remember when the walls fell...SHAKA!

I would miss old Risa. I like the shack way up on the hill. Great for screen caps. Connecting them would be just excellent. Add a ferry if they don't want to merge them. I'd just hate to see it go.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just delete the old one and keep the new Risa. The old one looks like it was rushed out in a day.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Heh, reminds me of Kitbashing wireframes in BC/Armada to make new ships.

Yah, you are making a whole new map, but you can still cut and paste a lot from the parts you already have laying around.

It's like all the quips about wanting the New Orleans class. It'd be so easy to just invert the pylons on a Nebula and sell it for 700 zen :D
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sorry, no.
    The old Risa is just god awful and looks NOTHING remotely in any respect like Risa did in the series.

New Risa stay! Old Risa get lost!
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Yup... so how about we just blow it up from orbit and pretend there's only one Risa now, even after the event is over.... :D:D:D
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=