test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea for implementing bridge navigation

tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
I think we really need a way to travel to other space sectors while remaining on the bridge. Is this a possible solution?

* anywhere on the ship, you have a conn officer hail button /w list of nearest sectors
* period of time passes based on your warp capabilities or rank, prompts you to warp
* new sector is set, bridge is reloaded

Would be really nice if it saved the position you are at when you load the bridge for the next sector. Would be awesome if people on your bridge could travel with you, possibly looking for sector assignments as a group.

Why is this wanted?
* If you have assignments on the ship, you could be traveling to the next sector while doing stuff on your bridge. Or maybe you just want to take a break in your captains chair or ready room :)
* You own a Tuffli freighter, and want to use the trader officer for various sectors without having to leave the bridge, travel to next sector, load that sector, load your bridge, run to where you were on the ship.
* You are currently on a ground map and beam to your bridge. You decide you want to travel to a neighboring sector (you are already on your ship after all). Right now you would have to leave your bridge, beam up from the ground map, travel to next sector, load that sector, load your bridge.

Just ideas, I know there are technical reasons for why this might be hard to implement.
Post edited by tinkerbelch on

Comments

• Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You have ONE controllable avatar in this game that takes on two completely separate and distinct forms - humanoid form for ground maps, ship form for space maps.

Interior of ships are considered ground maps so your controllable avatar is displayed in humanoid form.

You only get to choose one form of your controllable avatar at a time so how then will you be able to control your ship form avatar in a space map while your human form avatar is inside of the ship on a ground map?

If the humanoid form of your avatar is on the ground map that is your bridge how then will other players in the ship form of the their avatar in space maps interact with your non-existent ship form avatar?
  • Options
    tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm really just interested in loading a new sector of doff assignments and changing the launch point. So when you leave your bridge, you appear in the new sector. I don't think a ship traveling through sector space is necessary if you are on your bridge.