test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exchange needs a more powerful Search Engine

cybershadow1cybershadow1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Am i the only one who thinks it is a bit useless that one can only search for items in the exchange by name with no wildcards and no searching of the descriptive text.

for people who analyze game mechanics and or require specific attributes within items or duty officers it is frustrating that the search is direct string matching when support for deeper more precise searching would be much better considering the complexity and randomness of items.

it is necessary for players to be able to find exactly what they need by searching directly for attributes. most players don't really care about the name rank or race of duty officers as long as they have the proper skills needed.

and most weapons systems share the same name aside from level and the exact attributes

can we please fix the exchange so that a more powerful advanced search is available

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cybershadow1 on

Comments

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Exchange search definitely needs improvement. Right now, the text you type in the search box matches an item only if it is a substring of the item name. What they should do is tokenize the search term and match the tokens against several different attributes. For example, I should be able to type this into the search box and get relevant results:

purple projectile weapons officer efficient

This should work without selecting any categories or checking any filters. My guess is that the Exchange search uses simple SQL queries instead of an actual search engine. The Exchange search could be improved greatly if they rewrote it using open source tools, such as Lucene:

http://lucene.apache.org/
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why would they use a web search engine? The data is stored in SQL not as HTML pages

Anyway... they arent going to make checkboxes for every type of item. What they could do is make a second string search, so that the first string filters by name and the second string filters against description text. EG: name is Saurian Science Bridge Officer Candidate, description search is Efficient. Even that might not work if the records have widely different data structures.
  • dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They should get the one from SWG. It was much older, and more powerful. Also, it's not being used right now...

Sadly the game needs so much more work on how it stores and categorizes data that slapping a new ui or engine on search would not be enough.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why would they use a web search engine? The data is stored in SQL not as HTML pages

Anyway... they arent going to make checkboxes for every type of item. What they could do is make a second string search, so that the first string filters by name and the second string filters against description text. EG: name is Saurian Science Bridge Officer Candidate, description search is Efficient. Even that might not work if the records have widely different data structures.

Lucene is more general than that: it is not just for indexing HTML. You can use it to index whatever you want, but of course, you have to write the code to integrate your system with its libraries. Of course, it is much simpler to implement a system where each search field corresponds directly to a database column, which you would reference in the where-clause of SQL query. This is like the system we have now, where you select a category and a rarity. You could add more search fields such as traits and boff powers. But why do I have to tell the system what attribute each token should be matched against? Why aren't all the attributes part of its search index?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really does need a better search engine, was looking for an engineering boff to train reverse shield polarity 3 to one of my existing boffs, took about 15 minutes of hovering over every single boff to find one.. Could only search through the first 400 boffs as well so who's to say there wasn't another like 1000 on the market I couldn't even view.. can't sort out the crappy klingon ones even!

Really no other word than "pathetic" that this isn't already in the game seeing as how many variables Boffs and Doffs have.

Hell needed an efficent, logical research lab scientist. couldn't find one, doesn't mean it wasn't there just I might of not looked far enough or skipped it by accident.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, the biggest changes the Exchange needs:

1. Duty officer filtered search. Allow filtering by faction, specialization, department, rarity, and traits. Let me search for a purple-quality officer with Unscrupulous and Founder of the Federation!

2. Bridge officer filtered search, by rarity, species, sex, and traits.

3. Possibly most important - a total change to how consumables are handled on the exchange, using a model very similar to the dilithium market. Right now, given the combination of a lack of a sort-by-unit-price as a default and the way selling stacks of items works, in order to have a decent chance of selling, say, a stack of crafting items, I pretty much have to post them as individual items. So the way it should work: I search the exchange and find that Alien Artifacts are selling for 400 EC apiece. I ought to be able to post my 50 Alien Artifacts in a single go at a unit price of 400, and, when people buy Alien Artifacts, they pick how many to buy and at what price. The Alien Artifacts available at that price and lower are immediately bought by the player in the order they were put up, and the cost distributed to the sellers.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh yeah. The thing could use a major overhaul that I would have thought they would have included in LOR.

Said this before but I'll say it again, make DOFF traits into a viewable modifier in addition to the actual icons, i.e. Dlyrene [Efficient] [Eidetic Memory] [Resolve] [Tactful]

Also said this before, also will say again, for the new filter they installed they should make it ELIMINATE non faction matches, not just hide them. If I want to buy KDF colonists but there aren't any priced in the 1-400 price range, then I have to go find the names of specific colonists to check, that is a major design flaw.

Should also make things so they can actually be found on the exchange without hunting all over for them. Some things can only be found under an all search i.e. bonus pools and tal shiar command codes instead of a specific tab, that should not be the case. Some things are filed under tabs that make no sense, i.e. Fleet Ship Modules, why in the world are they under DATA SAMPLES? That would be like having shirts in your sock drawer. No one would imagine they would be there.

It's sad that there's a lot of filters at the moment but only a few are worth even looking at.

BTW does anyone know why we can't buy/obtain an exchange somehow on our bridges outside of buying a D'kora/Tuffli? Established lore/cannon ingame states that the technology is there i.e. the existence of the exchanges on the Tuffli/D'kora, and that the Ferengi (the manufacturers of the D'kora) have a technology sharing treaty/relationship with the Federation (Lore Vol. 26. Ch. 4.). Based on that the Federation should have the technology and should be able to put Exchanges on our ships. Banks and Mail too for that matter.
    pvp = small package
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Really glad someone mentioned this. There are 3 primary purposes for computers: sorting, searching and storing information. Any operating system is capable of performing this basic function. To not have the ability to perform a wildcard search is astounding, it is a skill all computer science students learn extinsively in their first year of study with abundant information on how to maximize the speed and reduce computing power of a complex search. Perhaps if it is proving too dificult to create a search engine on your own you can copy and paste the many hundreds of algorithms already designed to accomplish this basic and neccesary computing function. Better yet, if your servers are on linux then open up one of the search commands .cpp files and read through the code and copy it.