test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scimitar - Movie vs. STO

jedispartan4845jedispartan4845 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As we all know some time this month (June), Cryptic will be releasing details on the "Scimitar".

Now as we know from stats stated in Star Trek Nemesis, the ship had 52 Disruptor banks, 27 Photon torpedo bays, Primary and Secondary shielding. Now while all awesome and cool this is a "Hero/Villian" ship aka only for the TV/movie series. Just like any other ship in the TV/movie series it won't fully translate into the game realm.

Mostly because "Only one vessel of the class was completed as the necessity for such a super-weapon disappeared following the end of the Dominion War. That vessel; the Scimitar, was under the control of Shinzon of Remus, and he used it to destroy the remaining unfinished Scimitar-class vessels to make sure no one could oppose him. (TOS novel: Captain's Blood)" - Memory beta

The ship that we get in game will most likely be of the small more mass produced variety such as seen in the Star Trek Countdown comic.

By 2387, this design had set the standard for other classes Reman vessels, though it is very likely that they lacked the Thalaron generator the Scimitar possessed. (ST comic: "Countdown") - Memory Beta

In Star Trek: Countdown, the Remans were shown to have constructed smaller ships based on the design of the Scimitar. Three of these ships were used to capture the Narada, but were easily disabled by the Enterprise-E. - Memory Alpha

This would allow for a smaller yet more balanced version of the ship. Less weapons, a better reason not to have a "perfect" cloak, and no Thalaron core or weapons, while also keeping it from having a turn rate of two like so many have suggested.

If anyone sees any mistakes I have made in this post feel free to correct me. I just felt like posting it because the "Scimitars are/aren't going to be too powerful" posts are starting to loose all sense.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Scimitar
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Scimitar_class
Post edited by jedispartan4845 on

Comments

• Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited June 2013
    oh lets bring this up again, it hasn't been discussed in a few hours now. its waaay over due.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I expect to see the Scimitar becoming the Romulan counterpart to the Odyssey and the Bortas' qu, with comparable stats, and with the ability to mount dual cannons. As such, it will probably come in a three-pack, with science/tactical/engineering variants and a special console for each.
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When the Scimitar is added to the game, it's probably going to be a 4/4 Cruiser with at least one Hangar bay (and will come with Scorpion fighters as a default). It's going to look just like all of the Scimitars currently in-game, with the exception of the assimilated Scimitar at the end of KAS. It'll also likely come with a standard Battle Cloak, and some special ability consoles.

Why anyone would think otherwise baffles me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    oh lets bring this up again, it hasn't been discussed in a few hours now. its waaay over due.

Indeed. I could have sworn I was having this discussion elsewhere.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I say include the Thalaron Core, but change the effect of the ability to just crew damage, and MAYBE temp BOFF ability disabling. It's more canon anyway than the current function of STO's Thalaron wep.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see the Scimitar behave in the game exactly like in the cinema. Clearly, it will be difficult to do without breaking balance in some huge way, but not impossible.

While I doubt they would do it since it would likely require a lot of extra code, they could make it a very unique ship. For instance, they could divide the ship into four hulls. They could allow it to fire weapons and launch carrier pets while cloaked, however, when it does so, it loses cloaking on one of four parts of the ship for 10 seconds. While the cloak drops, that section of the hull is fully exposed and can be targeted. Once that hull reaches 0, it is disabled and takes a good long while to bring back (say, 2-5 minutes). Once all four hulls are disabled, the ship explodes.

Each hull would have maybe 10,000 HP or so and no shielding while the cloak dropped around that section.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see the Scimitar behave in the game exactly like in the cinema. Clearly, it will be difficult to do without breaking balance in some huge way, but not impossible.

While I doubt they would do it since it would likely require a lot of extra code, they could make it a very unique ship. For instance, they could divide the ship into four hulls. They could allow it to fire weapons and launch carrier pets while cloaked, however, when it does so, it loses cloaking on one of four parts of the ship for 10 seconds. While the cloak drops, that section of the hull is fully exposed and can be targeted. Once that hull reaches 0, it is disabled and takes a good long while to bring back (say, 2-5 minutes). Once all four hulls are disabled, the ship explodes.

Each hull would have maybe 10,000 HP or so and no shielding while the cloak dropped around that section.

I cannot begin to describe just how beyond Cryptic's budget and coding ability that probably is.

The Scimitar is very likely going to be a 4/4 Rom Battle Cloak Cruiser with a hangar bay and will come in three flavours for each career with negligable difference between each one beyond a slight alteration in Boff and Console slots.

Because why change something that will rake money in anyway?
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    I cannot begin to describe just how beyond Cryptic's budget and coding ability that probably is.

The Scimitar is very likely going to be a 4/4 Rom Battle Cloak Cruiser with a hangar bay and will come in three flavours for each career with negligable difference between each one beyond a slight alteration in Boff and Console slots.

Because why change something that will rake money in anyway?

I doubt that it is either beyond their budget or capabilities. Adding separating ships like the Galaxy and MVAE are a good example of how they reworked the game mechanics to introduce a new ship. However, it is a lot cheaper for them to release ships when they require little more than a clean-up of the existing model and some new stats plugged in, so I do not expect the Scimitar to break new ground.

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I doubt that it is either beyond their budget or capabilities. Adding separating ships like the Galaxy and MVAE are a good example of how they reworked the game mechanics to introduce a new ship. However, it is a lot cheaper for them to release ships when they require little more than a clean-up of the existing model and some new stats plugged in, so I do not expect the Scimitar to break new ground.

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to be surprised, but not with this ship. I like new ideas, new ways to change up gameplay from the norm. But I don't really want this ship to become a gimmick. It'd be nice, but I personally would like to see that sort of gimmick on a Cryptic-designed ship.

And anyway, the Scimitar probably will break new ground - it'll probably be a RBCing carrier.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited June 2013
    Don't hold your breath on something innovative. 3-pack sounds about right to me. Might be interested in getting the engineering version with an Eng Rom toon assuming it is no more than $20-25 ... assuming they actually fix the TRIBBLE ton of bugs still affecting the game.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I expect to see the Scimitar becoming the Romulan counterpart to the Odyssey and the Bortas' qu, with comparable stats, and with the ability to mount dual cannons. As such, it will probably come in a three-pack, with science/tactical/engineering variants and a special console for each.

Bingo. Been saying this for ages.
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I won't be surprised if it's some sort of Scorpion carrier. In either case, you can keep it - I'll have nothing to do with this horrendous ship from its equally horrendous movie.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if it's some sort of Scorpion carrier. In either case, you can keep it - I'll have nothing to do with this horrendous ship from its equally horrendous movie.

It's gonna be better looking than Vo'quv and more powerful... what's not to like? If paired with KDF alliance and slavers... well, someone's gonna be a happy farmer.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jestersage wrote: »
    It's gonna be better looking than Vo'quv ...
    Disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with anything added to make KDF side more powerful, but I don't find the ship aesthetically appealing in any way.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime