test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shame on Me

thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
TL:DR:DontCare Insert Generic Complaint about Lockboxes.

Been away, saw the new romulans, played some. Then the foolishness started..again.

I cashed out my dilithium for some keys (didn't use my wallet this time). I thought, surely they must have listened to feed back about the annoyance of lockbox drop rates.

Nope. Still the same annoying thing.

With the drop rates so low, I wonder how many lock-boxes must be opened per hour/minute to see the amount of spam (xxxx has won super-uber ship).

At least my new romulan got a ton of fleet officer packs.
Post edited by thejosephine on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The smart method of opening lockboxes is to open enough lockboxes to get the bind on pickup items from the lobi store that you want, then selling keys on the exchange to buy the lockbox ships and lobi store items you need. Sure it is possible that you can get a lockbox ship to drop more cheaper by opening them up, but it is not certain. Selling lockbox keys is more certain.

The smarter solution is just not to start, but most people like shinies.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TL:DR:DontCare Insert Generic Complaint about Lockboxes.

Been away, saw the new romulans, played some. Then the foolishness started..again.

I cashed out my dilithium for some keys (didn't use my wallet this time). I thought, surely they must have listened to feed back about the annoyance of lockbox drop rates.

Nope. Still the same annoying thing.

With the drop rates so low, I wonder how many lock-boxes must be opened per hour/minute to see the amount of spam (xxxx has won super-uber ship).

At least my new romulan got a ton of fleet officer packs.

Oh boy, I wasted zen on those useless boxes too much and got nothing. So I highly suggest to do what "Starkaos" has said.

Myself I just stick to getting things from the exchange or the zen store now. At least you know that you'll get what You Want that way.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought, surely they must have listened to feed back about the annoyance of lockbox drop rates.

I'd like to know why you thought Cryptic was going to make their cash generating scheme generate less income by making the top prize much easier to obtain?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    I'd like to know why you thought Cryptic was going to make their cash generating scheme generate less income by making the top prize much easier to obtain?

plus they want the ships somewhat rare... if everyone were guaranteed one, they might as well as put it in the zen store or something.
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johngazman wrote: »

Blind Hope? Saw a number of other improvements that seemed to be on the right track. While maybe not the top prize, was thinking I wouldn't get shafted with all bottom tier prizes.

At least I only blew my dilithium instead of real money this time. The keys are simply just too expensive for real cash for me.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Blind Hope? Saw a number of other improvements that seemed to be on the right track. While maybe not the top prize, was thinking I wouldn't get shafted with all bottom tier prizes.

Improvements on the right track =/= Make things easier to acquire.

Annoying though it is after 100+ boxes of garbage, the drop rates aren't going to change. The rarity of these ships is what keeps people coming back and going "Ooh, just one more key. Maybe it's my lucky day."

That said, I do feel that the drop rate for the Tal Shiar box seems higher than previous boxes. The only other explantion I can garner for having had three Destroyers is blind, unadulterated luck.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    plus they want the ships somewhat rare... if everyone were guaranteed one, they might as well as put it in the zen store or something.

lol rare... when a new flytext pops about once every 10 minutes. thats over a hundred a day.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They say the lock box chance for the top prize ship is about 0.04 percent. Lets say thats true and lets say that there are around 300,000 people in game who open lock boxes. I don't think that number is too high. At those odds, about 120 of those people are going to get the prize, assuming that they only open one lock box each. That's why you see so many. There are a lot of people in this game opening lock boxes. Collectively, they don't do too bad. Individually, they have bad luck.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I control my stupidity. I open 10 of a new lock-box. That's it. I get a few Lobi and other TRIBBLE. Never gotten the grand prize. I buy them off the Exchange when the price reaches what I would call 'reasonable'.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.