test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fate of JJTrek Vulcans (JJTrek I spoilers)

collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
I got to thinking this morning as I was driving in to work...

* After the destruction of Vulcan, Spock estimated there were only 10,000 Vulcans left.
* Due to their pon farr cycles, Vulcans would have a slow rate of reproduction.
* The Romulans of that time period were in favor of reunification by force.
* Assuming the invasion was put off until the time Sela appeared in the mid 2300's as in TNG, there's probably no more than 20,000 Vulcans at the time of the invasion.

Conclusion: The Romulans will roll over the Vulcans and conquer New Vulcan.

Thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
Post edited by collegepark2151 on

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    I realize the statement is canon to the JJTrek-verse, but this 10,000 number just doesn't make sense IMHO. Vulcan has been a space-faring society for 5,000 years. That length of time should establish populations long living off-world, even if numerous small villages or colonies. It has embassies on all Fed planets, its own fleet of ships, not to mention every Vulcan privately employed off-world as traders, scientists, or what not. With all that in consideration, I would think the number should be significantly higher. I would not think it inconceivable after 5,000 years of space flight that the population would exceed 1 million. As good as Spock is with calculations, it is just his statement. The finally tally might have proved higher. New Vulcan, however, might only have 10,000, and the bulk of the population would be scattered.

I've heard talk both ways, but I was always under the impression that the pon farr cycle was the point at which Vulcan had to mate, not the only time they could. If this is what Gene intended, then there could be many more Vulcans. It would also be entirely logical to find ways to stimulate their cycle early and often to rebuild their race.

If Vulcan stood alone, yes, I could see the Romulans dominating. However, New Vulcan is backed by the might of the Federation, and I cannot see it leaving its most vulnerable member undefended.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thoughts?

You're making the rather hilarious assumption that an event will occur in the JJ'verse based on an event in the Prime 'verse.

The 24th century JJ'verse is going to be about as similar to the prime 'verse as the MU was to the prime 'verse.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Thoughts?

I think you forgot the United Federation of Planets. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You're making the rather hilarious assumption that an event will occur in the JJ'verse based on an event in the Prime 'verse.

The 24th century JJ'verse is going to be about as similar to the prime 'verse as the MU was to the prime 'verse.

Hmm, what about that one event where a man named James T Kirk becomes a captain of a ship named Enterprise, with crew members such as Scotty, Bones, Chekov, Sulu and Uhuru? :rolleyes:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, what about that one event where a man named James T Kirk becomes a captain of a ship named Enterprise, with crew members such as Scotty, Bones, Chekov, Sulu and Uhuru? :rolleyes:

Remind me again what the Klingon-Cardassian alliance was doing in the late 2370s in the Prime 'verse?

How about what the Dominion was doing in the MU at the same time?

Oh. Right.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I think you forgot the United Federation of Planets. ;)

I didn't forget them, I just thought that based on Sela's comment in TNG that they would be "deeply entrenched" by the time Starfleet was able to respond in the prime universe, they would be even more deeply entrenched with so little resistance.

Also, since an invasion in the mid 2300's would have been close to a century after the destruction of Vulcan, the Vulcans may no longer be one of the primary races in the UFP and no longer one of the core worlds.

As to the Mirror Universe comments, from what we've seen, the JJ'verse seems to track a lot closer to the prime reality than the mirror universe, which by definition was created to be the opposite of the prime universe, so I don't think it's out of the question that things could unfold similarly in the JJ verse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After the film, the writers admitted they forgot about the Vulcan colonies when they came up with that number.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2013
    at least they admitted it. Now they should go back with a bit of CGI and re-recording and state a higher number, whenever they get round to a special edition version. A low number may have significant implications in any future alt-universe Trek.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just do the math. If there are 10,000 Vulcans and they each have children, you get a population growth rate of about .07 per year. That means within 100 years, you will have nearly 10 million Vulcans. Of course, Vulcans do not reproduce at the age of seven and not every Vulcan will be fertile, so the number might be generous, but still that is quite a few Vulcans.

Now, Vulcans are logical people. They know they need to reproduce quickly and in a genetically diverse faction. They may be willing to use artificial insemination. If they are having children every one or two years and reproducing at sexual maturity, they will, for all practical matters, have nearly an unlimited supply of Vulcans within a century.

Of course, to reproduce so quickly you need a lot of energy. Resources like food, medical care, clean water, et cetera might limit population growth, although presumably the Federation would be handling that.
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I always wondered just how Sela thought that just over 2,000 soldiers were supposed to be able to successfully invade Vulcan, even with the element of surprise. Sure, they might briefly establish a foothold, as the Vulcans of this day were considerably less militaristic than in the past, but unless the RSE was willing to start an all out war with the entire Federation, that little invasion force would have probably been wiped out within a week at most.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just do the math. If there are 10,000 Vulcans and they each have children, you get a population growth rate of about .07 per year. That means within 100 years, you will have nearly 10 million Vulcans. Of course, Vulcans do not reproduce at the age of seven and not every Vulcan will be fertile, so the number might be generous, but still that is quite a few Vulcans.

Now, Vulcans are logical people. They know they need to reproduce quickly and in a genetically diverse faction. They may be willing to use artificial insemination. If they are having children every one or two years and reproducing at sexual maturity, they will, for all practical matters, have nearly an unlimited supply of Vulcans within a century.

I see where you're coming from and yeah, they probably would use various methods of artificially enhanced procreation so maybe 20,000 is a low number. However, assuming a standard Vulcan lifetime of 200 years (Sarek, etc.), half of the original "breeding stock" would be dead after a century, so there may still be a relatively small number of Vulcans after a century.

Of course, the Romulans might decide to exploit the opportunity and invade much sooner than that, but that would be counteracted to some effect by the increased initial security provided by Starfleet.

And... If Spock Classic just calls up the Romulans and tells them they have 129 years until their planet is destroyed, they may be grateful enough to just not invade at all. Or get desperate and launch a full assault. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I believe that had Sela attempted her assault on Vulcan in the Prime timeline, she might have been rather shocked not only at the speed of Starfleet's response, but at the strength of Vulcan resistance. The numbers bandied about for her invasion force seem to indicate that she believed her people's propaganda about the weakness of the Federation and the timidity of those who had never left the original homeworld.

Therefore, I regard her statements as little more than a wild fantasy.

Further, I don't recall anything from TOS indicating that Romulans of the time wanted anything to do with Vulcans whatsoever, much less any attempt to "reunite" with their long-lost cousins. There might have been some vague interest in retaking the homeworld, but in the new timeline, there is no homeworld to retake. Therefore, again, no assault. (Also, the Romulans in TOS didn't seem to suffer from the delusion that Starfleet was too wimpy to try to stop them - in "Balance of Terror", as I recall, the Romulan commander was supposed to avoid combat unless the plasma torpedo proved to be very highly effective. He was just supposed to ensure Starfleet sensors couldn't detect a cloaked Warbird, then pop out of cloak and see how they handled plasma weapons, then cloak back up and head home. If it hadn't been for that comet, he probably would have done exactly that.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Of course, this is also all assuming Sela will even exist in this timeline. If the Ent-C doesn't take part in the Battle of Nerandra, and get sent into the future, no Sela. No Romulan help in the Klingon civil war. No unification invasion. Unless someone else comes up with those plans. In which case, they will happen very differently anyway.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I realize the statement is canon to the JJTrek-verse, but this 10,000 number just doesn't make sense IMHO. Vulcan has been a space-faring society for 5,000 years.

Enterprise also told us that Vulcans dont like exploring much and try to largely stay in their own star system. I dont know how many established colonies they have but we could assume they are low in number and simply there to conduct research etc rather than millions living there as an actual home.
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Romulans will roll over the Vulcans and conquer New Vulcan.
    I certainly hope so...

:cool:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Keep in mind that this was a very rough estimate from Spock just moments after his homeworld was destroyed.

Granted, it's rare that Spock makes a mistake, but if he were to make an error in a calculation, that would be the time. He obviously didn't go consult the records and calculate an exact number. It's entirely possible that he simply overlooked several settlements, etc.