test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Speed bonus from warp cores and other things

dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Academy
- I know the new warp cores give bonuses for slipstream, like a slight increase in speed, or a cooldown and turn rate bonus. But do any of the cores increase normal sector space warp?

- The Chimera Heavy Destroyer has the advance quantum slipstream drive and I've noticed, after getting it, that my slipstream lasts up to a minute now, instead of the usual 30sec. Also, I'm doing 34.54 in slipstream with just the Jem'Hadar engines. Any other points about it? Having a hard time finding any official info on that particular drive.

- Liberated Borg captains have a +30 starship warp core efficiency. What exactly does that do? Does it benefit any particular systems? Does it even help these new warp cores, or just the old system only?

- I've got a Hyper Injection Warp Core Mk X that says +15 starship driver coil[Improves sector space travel and full impulse] but I'm still getting 9.97 warp in sector space with that, or a +12.5 star ship driver coil core, or even a core with no driver coil bonus. My driver coil skill is maxed, btw. Does all this only apply to special engines like assimilated or MACO?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    None of the new Warp Cores cores add to Sector Space speeds with 2 exceptions. Those being the Warp Cores in the Tal Shiar Adapted starships. The reason for not doing so it to prevent ticking off the player base. According to Captain Geko (Al Rivera), they (Cryptic Devs) need to convince players to move the bonuses from the Impulse Engines into the Warp Cores. A lot of players uses the MACO and Borg Adapted Engines for the Sector Speed bonus. Removing the speed bonus w/o a migration path to retain them would be a bad thing.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...- Liberated Borg captains have a +30 starship warp core efficiency. What exactly does that do? Does it benefit any particular systems? Does it even help these new warp cores, or just the old system only?

- I've got a Hyper Injection Warp Core Mk X that says +15 starship driver coil[Improves sector space travel and full impulse] but I'm still getting 9.97 warp in sector space with that, or a +12.5 star ship driver coil core, or even a core with no driver coil bonus. My driver coil skill is maxed, btw. Does all this only apply to special engines like assimilated or MACO?
    I have answers on these two... For the first, the Starship Warp Core Efficiency skill improves your ship's power levels (for all subsystems: Weapons, Shields, Engines, Auxiliary). The higher the skill, the more power you get. It is however a minor buff, and is most noticeable the lower the power setting, and is ineffective if your power is set at 75 or more. Check out my signature/thread about Power for more details.

For the latter, yes: Driver Coil will improve your Warp up to 10 (9.97?) with standard engines. After that you need special engines to achieve >10 speeds. The higher your skill, the higher you can go with those engines. I believe (but could be mistaken) that the original Assimilated Impulse Engines are the fastest (it'll get you to around W20).

Your Quantum Slip Stream speed is increased by a higher Driver Coil skill.

Driver Coil also improves Full Impulse in System Space. Normally when you click Full Impulse your Weapon, Shield, and Aux powers drop to 5, while Engine Power increases to 100. Driver Coil Speed lets you retain more power, I believe when it's maxed your W, S, A drop to about 30-35 (instead of all the way down to 5). This means you recover to full power faster after ending Full Impulse. I believe your Engine power also goes higher than 100 (which means your Full Impulse speed goes higher).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    From what I see in the tooltip- the [SSS] modifier adds 0.1 to the max sector speed, and I can assume it works as I've gotten passed is sector space by feds not running slipstream.

Now the [SSR] modifier does work as advertised, I run one of these myself- 1 minute cooldown on slipstream.

I think theres an [SST] modifier as well (slipstream turn) but haven't tried it yet.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    sinbad187sinbad187 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sector Space speeds are improved by the Driver Coil. To get past warp 10 you need an engine that increases your sector space warp i.e. Borg engine, MACO, some Fleet engines, the Borg engine as far as I know is currently the fastest.

Slipstream speeds are effected purely by the Driver Coil and not the engine, unless any specific bonuses are stated.

I have maxed Driver Coil in skills, plus using the Borg engine I get 20.9 warp, adding a Warp Core with a Driver Coil bonus (16.2) I get 22.07, now on top of that you can then get Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party buffs and you could be seeing around 29, 40+ with Slipstream. I don't know the exact figures as I haven't got round to getting both the buffs to check.

Warp Core Efficiency gives a bonus to low power settings (below 75) in your subsystems, (Weapons, Shields, Engine, Auxiliary) the lower the setting the higher the bonus. This doesn't effect Sector Space speeds.
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    None of the new Warp Cores cores add to Sector Space speeds with 2 exceptions. Those being the Warp Cores in the Tal Shiar Adapted starships. The reason for not doing so it to prevent ticking off the player base. According to Captain Geko (Al Rivera), they (Cryptic Devs) need to convince players to move the bonuses from the Impulse Engines into the Warp Cores. A lot of players uses the MACO and Borg Adapted Engines for the Sector Speed bonus. Removing the speed bonus w/o a migration path to retain them would be a bad thing.

Here's an easy migration path: they have the "item registration" system in Nukara Strikeforce for players with the Crystalline Armor set - just apply it to the Task Force Omega rep system so that anyone with the various Borg/MACO/Adapted KHG impulse engines can "register" them for a new impulse engine sans the bonus, plus an equivalent warp core (maybe with additional bonuses to make them worth using over the warp cores available now). It would be entirely up to individual players as to whether or not to trade in their qualifying impulse engines.

In the off-chance there are Romulan toons that already have this gear, simple solution there: make separate item registration assignments for Romulan faction toons that award an equivalent singularity core instead.

The warp/singularity cores themselves would be available as projects for an equivalent mark+dilithium cost, obviously, but this way they avoid ticking off (most of) their playerbase by grandfathering people in with a choice - keep your old engine and use another warp core, or trade it in for a set item warp core and an impulse engine that lacks the sector space bonus.

(They'd obviously have to rig it so that only the faster of the two sector space bonuses would apply, presumably to nerf the possibility that someone would run an old impulse engine as well as a new set item warp core. Cuz I know I'd try it just to see if it would result in a stacking bonus. :P)
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for all the great info everyone. I've only been experimenting with warp cores on my new toon with normal engines, but my main character has the assimilated Borg engines and I max out at warp 20, with dip immunity 24 and raiding party 27. So that'll be interesting to see if I can get it up to 22 with the driver coil bonus. Now just have to finish grinding the omega rep to get a new Borg engine. Wish I could just buy one from my other character and send it to this one. They need some sort of "gifting" token as an option.

That info about the Borg +30 bonus was interesting, mostly affecting lower power.

Yeah, not getting warp 10. Only 9.97. Have to check my skills. Don't exactly know why.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, not getting warp 10. Only 9.97. Have to check my skills. Don't exactly know why.

Don't worry it's normal, it's just rounded up to 10, if I use normal engines mine is 9.97 too.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Regarding warp speeds (one of my favourite things in this game):
    To break warp 10 you must have one of the following on your ship:

Borg assimilated engine
    MACO engine
    Elite fleet engine
    Borg adapted warp core

Without one of these, it doesn't matter what your driver coil is, your warp will be capped at just below 10. Your slipstream will also suffer as it is a warp speed modifier.

The best combination right now is to max driver coil, have the Borg engine (any mark) and a Purple mk XI warp core with [Coi]. This should net you around warp 22.0-something without DI, RP or assignment buff.

Slipstream is a different matter. For best performance you will need the above in an Odyssey, Chimera or Vesta, along with a warp core's SSS mod, although SSR (cooldown reduction) seems a better choice.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The best combination right now is to max driver coil, have the Borg engine (any mark) and a Purple mk XI warp core with [Coi].

If it's purely the Driver Coil bonus your after it doesn't need to be a purple Warp Core (especially with the current prices being so high) Purple, Blue and Green [Coi] of the same MK share the same Driver Coil bonus.

If money is tight you can pick up a green MK XI [Coi] quite cheap otherwise you can go for a green MK XII which is less than half the price of a Purple MK XI and gives you a 17.5 Driver Coil bonus compared to 16.2 from the MK XI. This is if your not worried about the bonus abilities from the blue and purple versions.
  • Options
    g0vawkg0vawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sector space speed =

(100 + (Total Driver Coil points / 2)) * (Base sector space speed of Impulse engine or Slipstream drive / 100)

STOWiki has a small bit on this equation, http://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Driver_Coil
    It is dead accurate from my testing, just have to find how many driver coil points your ship has in sector space and the base speed of the engine/ability you are using
    sig.
    It's not what is done or said but why.
    Words and actions may be judged, but motives?

Motives are truth to a believer
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    g0vawk wrote: »
    Sector space speed ...
    Cool formula, thanks. Is this still accurate since they reworked Sector Space speed with LoR?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    g0vawkg0vawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah its still accurate, the numerical value of each engine/abilities speed hasn't changed even though the actual speed is like a third faster vs the speed before LoR was released.

ie: Borg Assimilated Substranswarp engine still has the numerical base speed of Transwarp 14 even though the speed is now more like Transwarp 16 on the pre-LoR warp scale.

I will make note, when factoring a warp core with the [SSS] modifier the equation is more like:

(1 + [SSS] warp core modifier rating) * ((100 + (Total Driver Coil points / 2)) * (Base sector space speed of Slipstream Drive / 100))
    sig.
    It's not what is done or said but why.
    Words and actions may be judged, but motives?

Motives are truth to a believer