test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan dialogue inconsistancies

lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Alrighty, this has been bugging me for a little while now. Tonight it finally bugged me enough to start a thread on it.

Basically I've been noticing some inconsistencies with faction specific dialogue when it comes to Romulans. Many NPCs often refer to me as a Federation officer even though I'm clearly not. I'm sure it's the same over on the KDF side. I wanted to get a thread going to find and list all the inconsistencies like this in the hopes of getting them changed appropriately.

List of inconsistencies so far:

-Tau Dewa Patrol: Romulan Patrol lady tells me that she understands that "my government" has allowed me to help the Romulans out on their sector.

-Tau Dewa Patrol: Upon completion, the Romulan patrol lady tells me that she didn't expect people from "my home world" to be so efficient. She then goes on to tell me that despite the differences between our two peoples in the past, she hopes we can work together. Obviously I'm from the same home world and people that she is.

-Federation contact near the transporter pad at the staging area on New Romulus: Tells me that he needs me to represent the Federation to the Romulan people to strengthen the ties between the two.

-Tovan called the Romulan commander from the beginning of 'Frozen' a petaQ before remembering we were Romulans.

-During the Spectres arc (Skirmish, if I remember right), Hiven exclaims something along the lines of, "By the spirit of Kahless!" when a Devidian floats past.

-Commander Avran at Vastam Peaks: Tells me that he was suspicious of "my people" and that we might have been wanting to take the colony for all he knew.

-Deferi Outpost 3: Breen commander taunts me and makes fun of my "Starfleet training".

Edited OP to include a list of all the ones found so far. If anyone finds more, post them up and I'll add them to the OP.
JWZrsUV.jpg
Mine Trap Supporter
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, if we're counting all dialogues, I've had my Romulan bridge officers make commentary as though they were Klingons.

Tovan called the Romulan commander from the beginning of 'Frozen' a petaQ before remembering we were Romulans. During the Spectres arc (Skirmish, if I remember right), Hiven exclaims something along the lines of, "By the spirit of Kahless!" when a Devidian floats past.

Q Junior treated my crew and I as though we were Klingons. If it weren't for his references to honor and warrior spirit, though, one could almost think he'd lost the memo that playable Romulans are part of a Republic.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I mentioned this in another thread, but it kind of bugs me that I keep being addressed as 'Captain', when the Romulan equivalent to that rank is 'Commander'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dialog inconsistencies have always bugged me here, but I just grit my teeth and keep going.

Some of the most annoying ones have been in Foundry missions where the author assumes the player is a specific sex/race such as a male Klingon, and I happen to be playing a female Orion. The mission itself could be great, but the dialog makes me cringe.

I can understand how those details could be missed when getting caught up in the writing of the story, but they are important little details.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Finding more.

-Commander Avran at Vastam Peaks: Tells me that he was suspicious of "my people" and that we might have been wanting to take the colony for all he knew.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    cosmonaut12345cosmonaut12345 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What these need is a Tropic Thunder-esque "What do you mean, you people!?!" dialogue button.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've also noticed that the voice-over doesn't quite match the written text from time to time. I'll have to pay more attention and point out specific instances.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What these need is a Tropic Thunder-esque "What do you mean, you people!?!" dialogue button.
    WIN! just for the obscure reference.

Want something REALLY surreal? go to Vulcan and do the "Ancestral Sin" daily. A Romulan wandering around Vulcan and talking with other Romulans about the history of the Romulans and the Vulcans, hehehe.... it's bizarre.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    -Deferi Outpost 3: Breen commander taunts me and makes fun of my "Starfleet training".

Hmm, I think I'll start adding all of these to the OP. I'll have to do that later.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited June 2013
    Ever played the game in a different language? Dialogue Language switches from window to window. Sometimes it appears twice. First in the translation, than in english again.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dialogue basically always makes a guess as your species and that of your boffs. This is not new to Romulans, its just somewhat more pronounced with them since they also have the faction alliance to consider.

In Fed missions, your boffs all talk like humans, in KDF missions like Klingons and in Romulan missions like Romulans. Even if your team consists of a Borg, a Jem'hadar, a Breen and a Ferengi. This is unavoidable, as it would be impossible to write dialogue for every possible combination of bridge officer species.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    warpangel wrote: »
    Dialogue basically always makes a guess as your species and that of your boffs. This is not new to Romulans, its just somewhat more pronounced with them since they also have the faction alliance to consider.

In Fed missions, your boffs all talk like humans, in KDF missions like Klingons and in Romulan missions like Romulans. Even if your team consists of a Borg, a Jem'hadar, a Breen and a Ferengi. This is unavoidable, as it would be impossible to write dialogue for every possible combination of bridge officer species.

I realize this but I'm not asking for species specific dialogue, I'm asking for faction specific dialogue. Throughout the Romulan mission arcs the NPCs always refer to me as a member of the Romulan Republic and not as a member of the Federation/KDF. The older missions have not been updated to reflect the addition of the Romulan faction so many of them refer to you as a member of the Federation/KDF and not as a member of the Republic. The aim of this thread is to find and list the ones that were not updated so that hopefully they can be in the future.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some of the older missions have been updated. For instance, when Admiral T'Nae asks you to report to Capt. Kurland at DS9, her speech to a Rom player includes a bit about how her initial judgment of your people may have been in error. Kurland frames the mission where you go into the Badlands as a chance to demonstrate your commitment to the alliance, then sends you into the wormhole to look for the USS Rapier as a gesture of his trust in you. (Then when you rescue the hostages aboard the Rapier, the last one says, "Romulans? Here? Have things gotten that bad for the Federation in the short time we've been in here?" You get to assure her that you're from the Republic, not the RSE, and are in fact allies.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oops, yeah you're right. I missed the word "some" in there, my bad. :P

It seems like they did a pretty good job of updating the old stuff right up until the State of Q mission. Then it just kind of drops off to Fed/KDF references.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My Klingon-allied Romulan crew encountered a Breen on Defera during the first Breen mission who said, "By the Blood of Kahless, the Federation will fall!" Haven't tested whether that's an issue for all characters doing the mission now or not, so it could just be that that Breen was drunk enough to think he was a Klingon talking to a Feddie.

Which was ironic, because the Thot who beamed down for that mission actually makes a reference to your being a Romulan, saying that you all should have died with the planet.
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Quasi-related: why are Klingons using Human idioms? For example, one contact talked about my character's "track record." Do Klingons have tracks? Do they compete in foot races? I always thought they competed with battles and bat'leth tournaments. Maybe my "tournament record" would have been a better idiom, because I can't see my Liberated Borg Klingon getting in a pair of shorts and track shoes to do the 50-meter dash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Quasi-related: why are Klingons using Human idioms? For example, one contact talked about my character's "track record." Do Klingons have tracks? Do they compete in foot races? I always thought they competed with battles and bat'leth tournaments. Maybe my "tournament record" would have been a better idiom, because I can't see my Liberated Borg Klingon getting in a pair of shorts and track shoes to do the 50-meter dash.
    It could be a translation of an equivalent klingon idiom. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It could be a translation of an equivalent klingon idiom. :p
    Yes, teh selective Universal Translator that will translate most things, but still allows Klingon to talk in their own little language while the Feds sit idly by scratching their heads; or also allows Klingons to interject Klingon words in the middle of English sentences.

We don't need to justify bad writing with hand-waiving tech wizardry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.