test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are we forced to buy slots to create content that perfect worlds profits from?

Am i the only one who sees the serious moral issue with the foundry??

am i the only one who thinks it is thoroughly despicable to charge players for slots that allow them to generate content that perfect worlds PROFITS from without paying or otherwise rewarding the players who generate this content free of charge.

considering that the foundry allows players to generate missions. something that perfect worlds no doubt PAYS it's own employees to do while at the same time turning around and encouraging players to give them zen or dilithium for the privilege of making them money?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cybershadow1 on

Comments

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

am i the only one who thinks it is thoroughly despicable to charge players for slots that allow them to generate content that perfect worlds PROFITS from without paying or otherwise rewarding the players who generate this content free of charge.

considering that the foundry allows players to generate missions. something that perfect worlds no doubt PAYS it's own employees to do while at the same time turning around and encouraging players to give them zen or dilithium for the privilege of making them money?

Alright,

1. It's just 10,000 dilithium for 4 slots, last time I checked. Play a foundry spotlight, turn in some contraband, and then play a foundry spotlight and you're almost there. Maybe then google the SFA quiz.

2. If PWE really cared about the Foundry and its potential for profit, then we would know by now. Instead, what we are seeing is most often a big disregard, because it cannot really be monetized. It's probably not PWE, but Cryptic which is responsible for the current state of the toolset. PWE probably just regards it as a curiosity.

3. Yes, Cryptic pays people to do what they do. They don't pay us. However, they tend to support and encourage the folks who get paid. We don't get much support, really, beyond bare maintenance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What about the "tips" you make on your foundry missions? How much does that come to?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    What about the "tips" you make on your foundry missions? How much does that come to?
    pennies... I haven't emptied my tip jar in months and it only has 1k in it...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

With 8 missions, one of which is a spotlight, I average around 400 dilithium in tips per day, when everything is working properly. 8 missions that each took well over 60 hours to make gets me a bonus of not having to transwarp to SFA once a day to google a quiz. That, apparently, is my compensation. That is much higher than most authors, I suspect.

Or, maybe I will win the contest and get paid .12 an hour for the work that went into my contest entry, since the prize is 1200 Zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually think they could easily monetize it. They could have rewards attached to missions which you have to purchase. They could have it so you could pay to receive top billing for your mission for a limited amount of time.

Would those things make the Foundry better? Honestly, if it made it so they actually devoted some resources to it, I'd say it might.
  • fudgeoflifefudgeoflife Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I cant see who is 'forcing' you to do this...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    'A few deaths are a tragedy. A few million is a statistic.'
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think that the charge is in place for purposes of (limited) quality control. If it was free, everybody and his brother would make missions, and they would be even worse than the ones we have now (mind you there are a lot of brilliant missions, but hey, Sturgeon's Law). With the charge in place, you have to put in some effort if you want to make missions, which "keeps out the riff-raff" to a limited extent.

I don't think Cryptic is trying to make a profit off this charge. If they were, foundry slots would cost Zen instead of dilithium.
  • nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is a way of creating missions like crazy, I do not see the price excessive.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    User generated content is always a mugs game. But I figure STO hasn't gone full bore into it is a simple case of CBS wanting to keep a separation from the soft canon and the fanfic
    <3
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Not really.

Slots can be opened by just playing the game for free.

Its a game feature in itself. it takes money, time and effort to make and maintain. The foundry tools did not make themselves so they want some return for that.

The player ultimately gets enjoyment out of making the mission (no one is being forced to make any, and no one has to conform to any rules apart from the general EULA) we dont have the kinds of restrictions and demands that people paid to have.

Like with any aspect of the game we play it for fun. they as a company hope that we have so much fun that we pay them back by buying things. Yes they benefit from it, which is why there is very little monetised about the foundry but they still need our money in return.
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think that the charge is in place for purposes of (limited) quality control. If it was free, everybody and his brother would make missions, and they would be even worse than the ones we have now (mind you there are a lot of brilliant missions, but hey, Sturgeon's Law). With the charge in place, you have to put in some effort if you want to make missions, which "keeps out the riff-raff" to a limited extent.

This is what I always assumed. The "price" for slots is hardly a hardship for those that want to create missions, but it does keep everyone and his sister from publishing nonsense. Which, even with the cost, is still abundant.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They are supposed to be used to buy foundry slot. However, they are so small it's mostly useless.
    In several months, with 2mission, I made about 2K dil. I made the maths once, and on a 4-5star rating (which mean good), the average tip/comment is around 25dil, if I remember right.

I don't know how much slot we have in f2p/silver/sub, but honestly, I never find it was a real issue.
    To make mission in STO, it's mean you are quite serious about it, and 10k dil is nothing in this case. If you just want to see what it look like, check youtube video, and keep your dil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commandermiccommandermic Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    They are supposed to be used to buy foundry slot. However, they are so small it's mostly useless.
    In several months, with 2mission, I made about 2K dil. I made the maths once, and on a 4-5star rating (which mean good), the average tip/comment is around 25dil, if I remember right.
    interesting, with my two missions i got about 4k dil in less than two months :cool:
    maybe it's not much, but anyhow a nice feature ;)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    interesting, with my two missions i got about 4k dil in less than two months :cool:
    maybe it's not much, but anyhow a nice feature ;)
    Mine are published in French, with a very small community compared to the English community. I think the most rated mission have around 100comments :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    These days, we're very used to having things for free aren't we? Everything needs to be handed to us on a platter, whether you're paying through the nose or getting it for nothing. I'm fine with Perfect Worlds putting these modest charges on things. It's not like every single cent is going on some fat cat's BMW. Someone has to pay for servers, designers, programmers, accounts, HR, tax, office rent, IT equipment, licensing, debt etc. Dilithium can be earned quickly in game and even converted into zen so there is no need to put your own cash into STO at any point. Pay a little dilithium for access to the foundry? Well worth it if it means more content and continued operation of the game. Reminds me when people complain about how much of their pay cheque goes to the government, forgetting the public services they and their brethren enjoy as a result of their contribution to their society.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I think you should pick your battles a little more carefully. The last thing with the Foundry that needs attention is the cost of project slots. If anything, increase the cost of the projects if that means we get some regular updates to assets.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Problem is the devs don't often make new missions, and yes I agree with you but as you read the other posters views keep in mind the toolset tho broken in places is better than nothing, and can be used to create dilithium generating content for you.

Fun has nothing to do with it, they removed that from the foundry months ago.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Fun has nothing to do with it, they removed that from the foundry months ago.

And authors like us are trying to push fun back in.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    I've been having plenty of fun. Can't speak for anyone else.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I've been having plenty of fun. Can't speak for anyone else.
    Same here. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

CoH did something similar with extra Mission Architect slots, and I didn't see an issue with it then either. They have to store that information in their database somewhere and there's a cost associated with that upkeep.

The Foundry does not exist to make PWE money, not directly. My guess is that it doesn't pay for itself even with the little bit of sales it generates for mission and character slots.

Frankly, it doesn't even exist so that Cryptic doesn't have to create content... or at least that's not the main reason. My guess is that there are enough projects that are never played by anyone that Cryptic doesn't get a very good return on their investment to develop the Foundry.

The Foundry exists in STO to allow players to tell their own Star Trek stories and to encourage them to keep playing the game.

Players who play the game regularly will probably spend more money, so that's what Cryptic gets out of it.

If I create a bunch of Foundry missions that nobody ever plays, that doesn't help Cryptic a bit. If my only reason for creating Foundry missions is to get attention and to stroke my ego... well, then I guess I have to pay for that privilege. If I'm good at it, the notoriety is my reward and the tips are just gravy.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you have to pay Z-Points for 2 more character slots, you are unlocking a world editor, but i have to agree with the fee here and state it as it appears

"if you are serious about making content ether for fun, or possibly a great mission you wish to share with everyone, then for a small price, you can create your own content and control with a little more versatility the way you want STO to be, you are the creator"

it is worth it even with no return, arguably more versatile then unlocking a 2500 Z point ship or buying a 5000 Z ship bundle, be yourself, and have an awesome time doing it
    eywdK7c.jpg