test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LoR: A review

magnumstarmagnumstar Member Posts: 269 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I maxed out my Romulan character a few days back and thought I'd take a look back and share my thoughts and experiences on the new content.

Tutorial
I really liked the tutorial, it was nicely done. The only thing I would have added to it would've been missions/actions that corresponded with a player character's career path. During the evacuation part would've been an excellent opportunity to add career specific duties- Tac officers could've defended the launch areas while Eng officers prepped or fixed the shuttles. Sci officers could be doing medical care to the wounded prior to launch or configuring something to jam the enemies sensors so the shuttles could escape easier. Anything along those lines would've been good.

I also like how your starting point is a small colony, it not only provided my Romulan character with a background but it also gave it a home town feel to the whole thing.

Faction Choice
I don't really like how the Romulans can't be a faction in their own right. I understand the Romulans are fractured but if they have their own government and have even found a new planet to populate then it makes sense to allow them to be their own faction, just my thoughts on the situation.

Anyway since I had to choose I chose the KDF, my reasons why are many. First off even though I liked all the ST series/movies/books/etc. I never bought into or liked the neo Marxist utopia of the Federation. Klingons, from what I've read and seen on TV, had a much freer society than the Federation. They had few laws and it was the right of the individual Klingon to provide for or to protect oneself rather than sell his freedoms for security. I felt my Romulan, who was from a small colony, would have gotten a streak of independence being part of a small self reliant group so the oppressive laws and regulations the Federation has would've turned him away from joining them.

Secondly the Romulans and Klingons have had an alliance in the past and I felt they have way more in common with each other than they do with the UFP. Some folks on here have brought up Khitomer as a reason Roms and Klinks could never ally again but does anyone in the US still hate the Japanese for Pearl Harbor? Time and circumstance can heal any old wounds and hatreds. I would also like to add the Klingons and UFP have had some bloody battles prior to forming an alliance as well.

Thirdly the KDF community has by far more friendlier players than the Federation side. I know there are many nice folks playing a Fed character, I've met them, but the Feds seem to attract jerks like bees to honey. And I have to be honest here, after years of being trolled on the forums by Fed players and enduring Fed prim donna jerks on the STF's it has colored my opinion of those who play that side. I confess I struggle sometimes with not prejudging any Fed player before I know what they are truly like.

And lastly the costume options for allying with the KDF are way cooler than what the Fed options are.

Mission Arch

I liked all the Romulan missions from Allies to Freedom. Some stuff stood out from the rest so I'll address those individually.

Allies - Having the conference on Khitomer was a nice touch.

In Shadows - Are the Tal Shiar devious or what!? These missions let you see just how twisted and skilled the Tal Shiar really are, the reminded me of the old KGB operatives.

Wasteland - I really enjoyed Nimbus, I only wish they had a big worm like they had in Coliseum. Law's gunfight with the Gorn was cool as well.

Vengeance - The Elachi bring new tactics to combat that are refreshing but a bit annoying till you figure out how to counter them. It was made more difficult because I had acquired the D'deridex by this point and the ship was too clunky and slow moving to keep up with the fast paced tactics of the Elachi.

Freedom - This is basically the FE series we've all done before but it does have a few changes. Mine Enemy- I liked that I didn't have to kill the Romulan Commander (Can't for my life think of her name) to get her security key, it even stated in the dialog we had knew each other before, nice touch. Cutting the Cord- After countless missions of listening to Hakeev rant and rave I got pure satisfaction in putting a plasma bolt between his eyes, I think this part is new since I don't remember having done it before. If it's new to the mission then I must thank the Dev's for creating it.

Romulan Ships

All the ships were cool except the D'deridex which felt more like flying a space barge than a ship or war. The new singularity core abilities are nifty but I had to keep reminding myself they were there, I kept forgetting I had them. I believe warp cores need their own special abilities as well.

My overall assessment is the Romulan content was well done and I enjoyed playing through all the missions.
Post edited by magnumstar on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You did get to kill Hakeev before; the game made a point of how he died alone and with no legacy worth speaking of. They did add the bit with Sela immediately prior, which explains (among other things) why the frak her ship was in orbit in the first place.

What I liked was the fact that we'd damaged him badly enough just before his cutscene that he finished monologuing about how powerful his allies were, and how the only hope was to secure a place in their hierarchy but I was obviously unworthy, and we cut back to the action - where I immediately shot him dead. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    magnumstar wrote: »
    Wasteland - I really enjoyed Nimbus, I only wish they had a big worm like they had in Coliseum.
    If you hang out in the ruins to the North East long enough a big Queen Worm will show up. You get an accolade and some Dilithium for killing it. There are similar ones for the a Gorn, the Tal Shiar at the Satellite Station, the Orions, the Naussicans holding hostages near the entrance of the city and a Big Dewain Scorpion.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D