test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let Certain Non-Romulans/Remans Make Romulan Republic Characters

sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
A thought: perhaps the Romulan Republic should let in a LIMITED number of other species to have commissions in the Romulan Republic Fleet, similar to the French Foreign Legion.

It makes sense as the Romulan Republic fleet would want to provide for the defense of New Romulus and all the threats in Tau Dewa and beyond.

Allowed Races:
  • Vulcans: This would help bring the Unification story to full realization. This should NOT be done haphazardly, but rather as part of a FE series on Reunification or a standalone episode maybe for the 4th anniversary.
  • Joined Trill: These are already cross-faction with the KDF, so creating them in the Romulan Republic makes sense. One would think D'Tan would be very keen on having highly experienced and long-lived people give wisdom to the RRF and help them see there is a better way.
  • Can't think of any other races where this would be appropriate really. But those would be a grand start.

Some mechanics:
  • Vulcans and Joined Trills DO NOT begin as members of the Romulan Republic (i.e. you can't create a level 1 toon in the RR of this race). They do not do the whole Virinat story unless they choose to replay.
  • The idea is they are L50 characters in Starfleet (or KDF if Joined Trill) and resign their commission to join after achieving T5 New Romulus reputation (i.e. D'Tan extends them an offer).
  • The decision to leave Starfleet or KDF and join the Romulan Republic is a permanent, one-time choice just like the Romulan allegiance choice.
  • Vulcan players in the Romulan Republic ally with the Federation automatically and cannot select Klingon allegiance. Joined Trill can join either allegiance.
  • You can't join if you have any T5 Starfleet or KDF vessels commissioned. You must dismiss them and from that point on, you fly Republic warbirds, Singularity cores and all.
Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really hope stuff like this doesn't happen, there is no need for it. I rather see more people wanting to just play Romulan and Reman so the faction looks more like it should instead of like a zoo. Just remove the ridges from a Romulan and it looks Vulcan anyway. Trill shouldn't be available at all, it would make less sense then KDF Trills. That was sort of explainable because Curzon Dax was respected by Klingons, but there is no Trill that has that kind of respect from Romulans.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    NO

Vulcans are FED. Period.

Joined Trills can help Romulans from where they are.

I say - let's add Suliban. Intelligent people without homeworld. We could find a common ground.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A thought: perhaps the Romulan Republic should let in a LIMITED number of other species to have commissions in the Romulan Republic Fleet, similar to the French Foreign Legion.

It makes sense as the Romulan Republic fleet would want to provide for the defense of New Romulus and all the threats in Tau Dewa and beyond.

Allowed Races:
    • Vulcans: This would help bring the Unification story to full realization. This should NOT be done haphazardly, but rather as part of a FE series on Reunification or a standalone episode maybe for the 4th anniversary.
    • Joined Trill: These are already cross-faction with the KDF, so creating them in the Romulan Republic makes sense. One would think D'Tan would be very keen on having highly experienced and long-lived people give wisdom to the RRF and help them see there is a better way.
    • Can't think of any other races where this would be appropriate really. But those would be a grand start.

would never work on either case.

Vulcans see the actions of the RR as illogical for the moment and supporting them is also just as illogical.
    Trills? why? because jadzia play acted as one, and since when would the romulans want trills to fight for them? it would be a sign of weakness for the new leadership to just induct anyone. you may as well induct humans and klingons while you are at it since the idea is the same, since there is no real reason to do it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you may as well induct humans and klingons while you are at it since the idea is the same, since there is no real reason to do it.

I have a human and trill on my ship - what of it?

Hello bonus to subsystem repair and a fully trained Tac officer with CRF3 and TS3.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always found these discussions confusing... with the "alien" option on the character creator available for Fed, Klingon and Romulan you can create anything you want, call it anything you want, make it look like anything you wish and assign whatever traits you want. :confused:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    I've always found these discussions confusing... with the "alien" option on the character creator available for Fed, Klingon and Romulan you can create anything you want, call it anything you want, make it look like anything you wish and assign whatever traits you want. :confused:

^^This

I have a klingon/rommie hybrid on my ship.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    NO

Vulcans are FED. Period.

Joined Trills can help Romulans from where they are.

I say - let's add Suliban. Intelligent people without homeworld. We could find a common ground.

I agree. I would go so far as to say the Romulan Republic should just be Romulan and maybe Reman. I do not like what was done with the Klingon Defense Force either. It should have been Klingons period. The KDF and Romulan empires are being reshaped to be too much like the Federation. The Federation is the conglomeration of several species working together for their betterment. Why play KDF and not play a Klingon, why play Romulan Republic and not play a Romulan/Reman? I can't quite figure it out. My only assumption is that people who want these options are not strict followers of the Star Trek television shows. Anyway, just my opinion.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While there are certain canon refrences to Klingon subject races (that one episode of Enterprise springs to mind) Orion and Gorn were probibly added so people could play those races without having to install mini factions.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My Romulan character is a Trill-Romulan hybrid.

It confounds me as to why so many players obsess over the options available to other players. If you don't like Trill playing for the KDF, then don't play one. Mind your own business.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trills are super pacifists, and don't make a lick of sense joining the Republic.

Neither does Vulcans outside of a few whom may believe in Spocks teachings and in the reunification, but they would likely be in very few numbers.

The Alien Generator can be explained away by them being mercenaries, or refuges subjugated by the Empire now living with the Republic out of necessity, but lets not make it any worse than it is.

We shall however welcome (subjugate) the lost Sulibans to the Republic. They might make good spies if it is the genetically enhanced ones.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can we please keep some semblance of the Romulan homogenous society? Please?
  • faloniafalonia Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    captrott1 wrote: »
    I agree. I would go so far as to say the Romulan Republic should just be Romulan and maybe Reman. I do not like what was done with the Klingon Defense Force either. It should have been Klingons period. The KDF and Romulan empires are being reshaped to be too much like the Federation. The Federation is the conglomeration of several species working together for their betterment. Why play KDF and not play a Klingon, why play Romulan Republic and not play a Romulan/Reman? I can't quite figure it out. My only assumption is that people who want these options are not strict followers of the Star Trek television shows. Anyway, just my opinion.

I agree with this lets not water down the "Romulan faction" anymore than it already is.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Reunificationist vulcans can be made by alien generator, or just creating a romulan and not giving him or her any ridges.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People are suggesting this because this is a GAME, an MMO to go even further.

In MMO's especially people want choice, the KDF has so many races to give people choice, I for one want the option of a Vulcan or Joined Trill for the Republic, because it means choice.

Canon be damned.
    azniadeet wrote: »

It confounds me as to why so many players obsess over the options available to other players. If you don't like Trill playing for the KDF, then don't play one. Mind your own business.

This, if you don't like it, don't play it, don't decide for others what you think they should play.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In the General population.....HELL NO!

Player specific bridge crew....Why the hell not?

Romulans are a very xenophobic isolationist culture. D'tan and his merry bunch of hippies know thy have o break with some tradition and cultural "programming" in order to establish this New Romulus order.

They have allied with the Feds and Klingons before when the fate of all hung in the balance so it makes sense they would seek help from them, but to open up to all aliens, no way. Part of the mystery and intrigue of Romulans is their isolationist ways. We've already lost some of that not having all the secrets of the Tal Shiar and the senate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

In MMO's especially people want choice, the KDF has so many races to give people choice, I for one want the option of a Vulcan or Joined Trill for the Republic, because it means choice.

Canon be damned.

This, if you don't like it, don't play it, don't decide for others what you think they should play.

You aren't really exempt from that either. If you don't like the way Romulans are portrayed, you have plenty of opportunity with the Federation and Klingons to play, where you have your choice. :rolleyes:
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I used the alien generator to create a human character whose own misfortunes landed him on Virinat some eight months before the Tal Shiar invaded. According to the backstory I created for the character, she was flying an old Dominion-War surplus runabout (that she purchased from a crooked Ferengi salesman) called the "Lucky Lou" that was ambushed by Nausicaan pirates. The pirates had knocked out her weapons and navigation, so the best she could do was a blind warp to get away from them, which is how she ended up in the Virinat system. She found a Romulan farming colony there, where she made a few friends and ended up staying there and helping the colonists. Of course it did take a while for the Romulans to get used to having a human among them, but by the time the Tal Shiar attack, they Romulans of Virinat colony considered Lorina Lee almost as one of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    no no no just no you want to play Vulcans play a fed

mmos don't give in to this type of stuff in wow do horde get to play druids? do ally get to play blood elf? dose horde get to play huumans? its just a game...... if you was thinking no ding ding your right !!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Canon be damned.

It's a two-way street. Your "choices" infringe on my enjoyment of a culturally homogenous and xenophobic Romulan Republic.

Your choices be damned, I'd like to play a game that respects the IP it's based on. If I wanted to play a generic sci-fi game, there are plenty of options available.
    edited June 2013
    I was told in what I call the Star Empire thread to use my imagination well now the tables have turned you can use the alien gene pool and make all the sexy trills Vulcans huuumans and andorians you want if like I been told in the star empire thread if I don't like it don't play it same now applies here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »

Because it makes the factions hub look dumb, its bad enough they allow aliens already.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    I have a human and trill on my ship - what of it?

Hello bonus to subsystem repair and a fully trained Tac officer with CRF3 and TS3.

all you see the advantage the crewman brings and not the reason. unless ofcourse you were attempting to be sarcastic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • sterlingwarbirdsterlingwarbird Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I want to see the So'na join either the Romulan Republic or the Klingon Empire, I really like the design of their ships.
    edited June 2013
    I want to see the So'na join either the Romulan Republic or the Klingon Empire, I really like the design of their ships.

let the kdf have them :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • sterlingwarbirdsterlingwarbird Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    let the kdf have them :)

Yay! Free plastic surgery for the KDF... iron out your ridges from the pesky Augmentation Virus
    edited June 2013
    Yay! Free plastic surgery for the KDF... iron out your ridges from the pesky Augmentation Virus

ya kdf could use a make over imo :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they're gonna add other races into the RR, don't add the ones from the other factions.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited June 2013
    remans are enough alien creator lets you make most of what all has been asked here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    aexrael wrote: »
    You aren't really exempt from that either. If you don't like the way Romulans are portrayed, you have plenty of opportunity with the Federation and Klingons to play, where you have your choice. :rolleyes:

In case you had not noticed it from my signature, my choice has already been made, for myself, I am quite happy with my Liberated Borg Romulan, so in the end, whether or not these options ARE pushed through is of little consequence to me.

However, as I said, in MMO's, people want choice, Cryptic knows this and will without even a second of doubt give people that choice.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the Trekkies, however vocal they may be.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited June 2013
    well me and others like the choice to join the RSE so we don't always get the choice's we want
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead