test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ranks of the Republic

philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering on what the consensus was on the ranking system for the Romulan Republic.

I'm absolutely loving this expansion, and I quite liked the touch of wandering around Earth space dock with my toon in his Tal Shiar uniform being called Subcommander or centurion.

I'm just a bit underwhelmed that at L.50, it's then back to Vice Admiral, just as with the Federation. Subadmiral feels like it should be the L5 rank for the Roms to be - just so that it feels different.

I'd quite like them to introduce a system like with titles where we can select the rank - even with my Fed toon, Vice Admiral felt a bit too Necheyev, when I was going for Picard. The four pips and having everyone call you Captain would be my personal choice.

Anyway, I'm just musing - this is a very minor thing I know...
Post edited by philhodgson on

Comments

• andersonthefirstandersonthefirst Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you there. I don't really like the VA title. Also because I only have 1 ship and I'm not the Admiral for an entire fleet.
    [Subcommander Rogul Amahla - R.R.W. D'dara - Mogai Heavy Warbird]
    [Lieutenant Brigit Jones - U.S.S. Brigit - NCC-93039 - Light Cruiser]
    [Lieutenant Justin Leijdekker - U.S.S. Normandy - NCC-93765 - Light Cruiser]
  • philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you there. I don't really like the VA title. Also because I only have 1 ship and I'm not the Admiral for an entire fleet.

I think it was the episode where Sisko was promoted to Captain in DS9, someone say said to him, you don't join Starfleet to be a Lt. Commander or an Admiral, you do it to be a Captain - and that's how I've always felt in STO.

I'm happy to be a General for the Klinks - that sounds right somehow, but for starfleet, I want my toon to be a Captain, and for the Roms - Subcommander etc just sound right.
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • philhodgsonphilhodgson Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nalo wrote: »

So really the Romulan Ranking system could have fitted quite nicely into

Citizen->Sublieutenant->Lieutenant->Centurian->Subcommander->Commander->Subadmiral
    (assuming they're not going to allow people to actually have full admiral status.)

I'm assuming their aim was to pin Commander with the Starfleet Captain. I'm sure there was some thing suitably Romulany to fit in between Commander and subadmiral.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm assuming their aim was to pin Commander with the Starfleet Captain.

It was, since that's how it's used in TNG, at least.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was, since that's how it's used in TNG, at least.
    And in TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If anything the top two ranks should be some kind of general.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be totally honest the whole rank thing should be removed and just be a user title and all characters should be called:

Federation: Captain
    Romulan: Commander
    Klingon: Captain, General (Markok commanded a single ship in DS9) or Colonel (just to be different)
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should've used some actual Rihannsu ranks. I just can't get used to being called "Lieutenant" - so flippin' alien.

Here's a stab at what they should've been...

Fed rank
    RRF
    Rihan

ensign
    Lieutenant
    Erein
    lt. cmdr.
    Centurion
    Arrain
    cmdr.
    Subcommander -- erei'Riov
    capt.
    Commander
    Riov
    R.A.
    Subadmiral
    khre'Riov
    V.A.
    Vice Admiral
    Enriov
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    considering how many romulan npc's are called Uhlans.... maybe should have added that into the rank system?
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think Uhlans (and the klink version Bekk) are enlisted personnel, not officers, so you start out higher ranked than them. I think.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think Uhlans (and the klink version Bekk) are enlisted personnel, not officers, so you start out higher ranked than them. I think.

I think Uhlan and Bekk are suppose to be Ensigns or Lt. J.G. (Junior Grade, aka O-2). At least, that is what I have read in various novels and source books. I have seen several times a joke regarding (Rom)Uhlans.