test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OMG there making firefly-trek!

charon2charon2 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
i'm not kidding. this is not a joke. as directed by tim russ (tuvok), firefly trek; or as they are calling it, Star Trek : Renegades.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/

even the dang ship looks the same!

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/str-2/

first picture.

and my mind is too blown to know what to think. do i really want a star trek firefly mash up as the next trek series?

do you?
Post edited by charon2 on

Comments

• calfencalfen Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I knew about it for some time now, and I think they should try. I am certainly not satisfied with the last two movies (ST X, ST).

If they make it coherent and avoid stupid mistakes, give it a reasonable story and good dialogs, it CAN be a good trek. But I refuse to judge before I see.

Saying all this, I have to admit that I liked Firefly very much. It is different kind of sci-fi, but then again Nemesis and Star Trek were also significantly different...

In short: will see :)

Calfen
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From that description, I'd think The Dirty Dozen might be a more appropriate comparison... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting. It has an impressive cast. I'll be watching this one carefully.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if this goes as expected, a few of the old faces are good for return, Corin Nemec, underrated when he was in sg1, i liked his character when he played it. so thats a good scalp, you got a number of returnees like hetzler, graham, koenig and refugees from voyager, wang, picardo, russ and philips.

i hope when they do a series that the cartoon space graphics is toned down to a more reasonable level so it at least feels like trek, not some sort of arcade/cinema hybrid. i did watch of gods and men, it was alot of fun and so its in good hands the series. hopefully it will show cbs that jjcrapverse is not he way to go when this series takes off in popularity.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I love most of the actors and the spirit of this endeavor, comparing what barely qualifies as TV level product with the Uber Awesome Extravaganza that is Into Darkness is a sure way to doom this project.

I suggest you go see the movie before making comments like these.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I love most of the actors and the spirit of this endeavor, comparing what barely qualifies as TV level product with the Uber Awesome Extravaganza that is Into Darkness is a sure way to doom this project.

I suggest you go see the movie before making comments like these.

you should be more careful as to what you post, i said "i hope" and "hopefully" because i knew this would come up. i will make it clear, i wont touch what that abrams has done to trek, so you can tell me this and that until the sun explodes, lol i dont care and wont care as long as trek is handed back to someone with a brain that can do trek correctly, as it should be. nothing you say will change my mind.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And a rogue crew of undercover Section 31 operatives, including criminals for crying out loud, is "Trek as she should be handled"?

You have an interesting interpretation of "Trek done correctly"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh... I will judge when I get to see it but I am a bit iffy... Why can't Star Trek just be... You know... STAR TREK. Not Star Wars, Not Fire Fly, not Battlestar Galactica, not Babylon 5, just Star Trek. (Though throwing in a bit of Doctor Who with all their time travel they do could be fun)

At least it is likely better than the JJ Verse though... Ugggh... I know it is in a different dimension and so the setting not only will be different but should be different but still...
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you should be more careful as to what you post, i said "i hope" and "hopefully" because i knew this would come up. i will make it clear, i wont touch what that abrams has done to trek, so you can tell me this and that until the sun explodes, lol i dont care and wont care as long as trek is handed back to someone with a brain that can do trek correctly, as it should be. nothing you say will change my mind.

Wow, with an open mind like that..........

Some sad facts :(

Next Gen is dead other than STO. There will never be another Next Gen movie or TV show, sorry there's just no money in it. Jaded audiences want action and excitement not meetings with tea.

JJ Trek is THE current Star Trek. Like it or not, that's all that is out there.

I was merely pointing out that you slammed JJ Trek while promoting something that will never in a million years come close to the action and excitement in Into darkness. By adding that proviso, a flashlight is shined on a comparison that should not happen if this endeavor is to be promoted successfully.

It doesn't matter if I can change your mind however as the world will (has already) move on. I experienced much the same when Next Gen replaced TOS., now it's the genners turn.

The fact JJ picked TOS to emulate shows the superior Trek IMO.
  • calfencalfen Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look, I honestly didn't know what this "JJtrek" means until a few months back, when I read it here at the forums. I don't care about the people that made any movie unless they made it well. I had this same problem with some episodes of from each series - some series were more affected by this than others - but this is question of bad writing and bad director (or pressure to quickly make more money from producer).
    The problem I am talking about are inconsistencies within Trek, and what is completely beyond my understanding inconsistencies within ONE movie. Most writers will tell you that it's not a problem to create a mystery, but to solve it in reasonable way. Lately there is absolute absence of any deeper though and original thinking.
    I haven't seen the "Khan II", but my guess is it it will be similar in many ways to the last one... people have tendency to do stuff their way - like when you hear Klingon theme in US Marshals :D - you know it's Goldsmith.

So, for example I think that "Star Trek (ST XI)" was a pretty good movie with some great and funny references to Trek, but for me it was not what Star Trek represents to me. It was above average sci-fi with pretty soundtrack, too. But not trek. The problem is that there was no "idea" behind it (like in so many episodes of TNG, or even DS9 or VOY - it may be wrapped in a lousy package, but it is there).

I was kinda sad after the Nemesis, which was pretty much complete rubbish...

I have to get some sleep (it's two in the morning here) so I will end here even there is lot on my mind.

Well, computer shut down all the lensflare generators! "Ahh, that's better."

http://youtu.be/WbJ-y6BWfUc

PS: Don't be enemies people, some people like it, some people don't. For us who don't it makes us sad for the lost opportunity.
    "But then again all good thing must come to an end. I am going to miss you Jean Luc." Q
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pass

I thought they were pushing it quite a bit with McCoy being 137 back in '87. How old it Chekov now, the same or more? Seriously, the novels, these fan films and effing Generations should've just let the TOS crew fade off into the sunset gracefully in ST:VI.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • charon2charon2 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if i recall correctly one of the major advances made on Earth shortly after first contact was the significant extension of the human lifespan, mostly at the hands of Vulcan doctors, applying advanced Vulcan medical techniques to humans.

however, the specific gains are not mention, nor the total extension of human lifespan quantified aside from 100 being the new 60. (although human culture does not seem to reflect this in any of the shows)

with current real world humanity almost finished with developing 3D printable replacement organs (and some proclaiming biological immortality as achievable in our lifetimes), i don't see it as too much of a stretch.

however, i still recognize "Admiral Chekhov" (where was he during the dominion war?) as an absolutely massive fan service. and i like it :)
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as long as trek is handed back to someone with a brain that can do trek correctly, as it should be. nothing you say will change my mind.

No matter what your opinion of the last two movies is ... doing Trek as a Whedon-verse Firefly riff isn't doing Trek correctly either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nemec, Furlong and to top that all off Imahara....

The Troll is strong in this one. :D

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com