test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shouldn't Reman's see in the dark?

pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
According to the first introduction of Remans in ST Nemesis, Remus is a tidally locked planet -- meaning the same side faces the sun and the other side is always in shadow. The Remans live (or lived) on its dark side, and thus developed vision that is extremely sensitive to light.

However, in the missions on Borg cubes or in the depths of Drozana Station my Reman toon has just as much trouble seeing in the dark as my other toons from different factions.

I think that, if you selected a Reman to play, then the ambient light should be brighter in ground combat levels where it's dark.

My Reman wears sunglasses to protect his eyes in normal light but he should be able to take them off in a dark room and have the tactical advantage of seeing in the dark.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
Post edited by pweistheworst on

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Similar things should be true for the Klingons (and Cardassians should they ever become playable DS9:"The Wire") allbeit not as extreme.
    There's a reason why DS9 was so dark in the early episodes and why Klingon ships are as well.;)

However I think this is simply beyond the limits of a computer game...
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    However I think this is simply beyond the limits of a computer game...

EQ would like to have a word with you. Half the reason to play Elven toons back in the day was to get the Infra/Ultravision.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EQ would like to have a word with you. Half the reason to play Elven toons back in the day was to get the Infra/Ultravision.

Yes. There are many games that have special vision capabilities for different character races. Skyrim has different vision for vampires so they can see in the dark.

Sure, STO isn't Skyrim ... but the technology we're talking about here isn't beyond the abilities of a modern video game.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As long as there is any evidence that Reman light sensitivity is remotely similar to EQ's infravision and not just what happens when someone has a serious hangover and needs to wear sunglasses it can knock at my door for a chat.;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The old Aliens v Predator computer games had loads of fun vision modes. Humans had night vision goggles and combat radar(which worked the same as enemy display on the minimap in STO). Aliens had some weird chem vision thing. (IIRC Alien vision would show glowing trails where enemies had been recently.) Predators had several vision modes, heat vision, one that highlighted their stuff(Predators had certain weapons that needed to be manually retreived after use.) Heat vision was fun because it wasn't blocked by walls. :D

This sort of thing would be great for telepathic or accute sense races in general.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would think that they would remember little details like that. I do agree that certain species with low-light vision should have a feature like that. One that is not so overpowering that it breaks the game. I know such an ability would be very helpful in the mission "What Lies Beneath."
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be fine, until you consider the converse, being unable to see in the light.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do we really need a racial flashlight power that badly?

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope. :P It'd be cool, but... totally unnecesary.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • intrepid74656intrepid74656 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope. To the OP, just crank up your brightness whenever it's to dark to see and turn it back when the mission is done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wait the flashlight works to begin with? I get zero difference from turning it on or off. :mad:
    Nope. To the OP, just crank up your brightness whenever it's to dark to see and turn it back when the mission is done.

This is my flashlight.
  • vaithhvaithh Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alopen wrote: »
    Wait the flashlight works to begin with? I get zero difference from turning it on or off. :mad:

This is my flashlight.

The flashlight works, but it may be a texture / feature that isn't supported by your graphics card. I can't recall exactly what feature it uses, all I know one of my systems show no difference with it on or off, while the other gives a great flashlight effect.