test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Diplomacy/Marauding/???

ehlimehlim Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Hello,

first of all let me tell you that I really love this new expansion, and I also endorse the fact that the R. R. would go for an alliance of convenience with either of the 2 remaining great galactic powers.

That being said, when I reached lvl 11 with my romulan char. (allied with the KDF) and went looking at the duty officer window, I have to admit, my jaw dropped wide open!

MARAUDING progression for my romulan character?
From a story-line point of view I went from being a survivor/partisan/saviour of the remaining good-willing and open-minded republic romulans to being a... well a pirate, a blood thirsty criminal who raids innocent freighters in someone elses space for the glory and honor of the Klingon Empire?

No. I'm sorry, no. I can't endorse this! :confused:
And, aside form my perspective, I think that also having the starfleet-approved "Diplomacy" progression for a starfleet-allied romulan char would be confusing. At least not ideal, since we all know that the priorities of our new-born republic are others.
In exchange for the alliance KDF or Starfleet already get technology and our cooperation and help in sensitive or urgent matters. I really don't think they can ask us to murder for them or promote the prime directive and enforce the peculiar all-friendly starfleet view of the universe for them.

My proposal:

- change the name of the main accolade progression to something ROMULAN REPUBLIC flavored;

- for FED-ALLIED romulans: use the FED diplomacy assignments changing at least some of the titles and description to give it a more ROMULAN REPUBLIC flavored perspective (maybe giving our diplomats the chance to promote the republic's point of view throughout the galaxy, instead of starfleet's!!).

- for KDF-ALLIED romulans: use the KDF marauding list (again, change the bloody name!! :D) and replace names and description of pirate/murder/criminal assignments to be directed AGAINST THE TAL'SHIAR, and not against defenceless and very unlucky neutral merchants. Or otherwise change the acts in a way that they assume a more romulan republic flavor.

I don't think I have to stress how important that is from a game and faction immersion point of view! ;)

That's all, thank you very much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ehlim on

Comments

• Options
    nightbringer83nightbringer83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't raid them i am gathering donations for Romulan Republic restoration efforts. :rolleyes:

Those prisoners in brig they are just petty criminals who couldn't pay their taxes now they are going to pay them throu honest work.

What taxes? The not geting vaporized by plasma fire for asking dumb questions tax... :cool:

ps. Its saying reman marauder contact in my doff panel.
  • Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait I'm the only one who focuses on Espionage ?

I'd say that the Romulans of the Republic wouldn't be THAT above Maurading honestly... especially those who'd rather work with the Klingons.
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The BIGGEST problem that I have with our allied mission options is that in various sectors I keep getting optional missions to spy on the Romulans or Reman or sabotage Romulan/Reman facilities!

What?!?

Sure, my Romulan and Reman toons might have formed an alliance with the Klingons, but I absolutely REFUSE to commit treason against the Romulan/Reman people.

If you're playing as a Romulan or Reman then the game should be smart enough to detect that and NOT display missions where you are hurting your own people.

That's just lame.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    bootybootsbootyboots Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The BIGGEST problem that I have with our allied mission options is that in various sectors I keep getting optional missions to spy on the Romulans or Reman or sabotage Romulan/Reman facilities!

What?!?

Sure, my Romulan and Reman toons might have formed an alliance with the Klingons, but I absolutely REFUSE to commit treason against the Romulan/Reman people.

If you're playing as a Romulan or Reman then the game should me smart enough to detect that and NOT display missions where you are hurting your own people.

That's just lame.

replacing romulan with tal shiar would be a quick fix
    House of Sigma (channel KDFdefera for PvE requiring only KDF teams) List of KDF issues [my in-game handle @bootymcboots] (channel KDF Empire for KDF orientated discussion - still in development/growing)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bootyboots wrote: »
    replacing romulan with tal shiar would be a quick fix

I completely agree with both.
    To return on the point of my original post, as I said, for the KDF allied roms just redirecting every criminal action assignment, espionage, sabotage etc. against the Tal'Shiar, the Hirogen and the other enemies of the romulan republic, or Tal'Shiar collaborating romulans, remans, etc., would be the easiest way to solve this "problem".

I really feel very strongly about this topic. Immersion is one of the most important things I look for in a good story-driven game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    warzerior wrote: »
    Wait I'm the only one who focuses on Espionage ?

I'd say that the Romulans of the Republic wouldn't be THAT above Maurading honestly... especially those who'd rather work with the Klingons.

Even if they dig being a blood-thirsty pirate, the game should point out that your marauding is in reality directed toward the real enemies of the romulan republic. If a KDF pirate-digging romulan goes assaulting a cargo vessel, it should be labeled e.g. romulan STAR EMPIRE cargo vessel, in my opinion. Not because it's not in the realms of possiblities for a romulan republic to go criminal...
    but because the game is telling you a specifc story: the story of refugees and rebels trying to regain their freedom from the oppression of an empire and the cruelty of the Tal'Shiar. Like the Bajoran fighting the Cardassian, they would focus their entire attention on their real enemies.

Raiding everyone for the glory of a good hunt is a klingon tradition, or hirogen way of life... not romulan. It would just be confusing... At least, to me it is.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ehlim wrote: »
    Even if they dig being a blood-thirsty pirate, the game should point out that your marauding is in reality directed toward the real enemies of the romulan republic. If a KDF pirate-digging romulan goes assaulting a cargo vessel, it should be labeled e.g. romulan STAR EMPIRE cargo vessel, in my opinion. Not because it's not in the realms of possiblities for a romulan republic to go criminal...
    but because the game is telling you a specifc story: the story of refugees and rebels trying to regain their freedom from the oppression of an empire and the cruelty of the Tal'Shiar. Like the Bajoran fighting the Cardassian, they would focus their entire attention on their real enemies.

Raiding everyone for the glory of a good hunt is a klingon tradition, or hirogen way of life... not romulan. It would just be confusing... At least, to me it is.

:)

You're talking about a former Republic who sanctioned Slavery and Racism ? Really they'd be above marauding other ships for supplies?

The Romulans, even of the Romulan Republic aren't all goodie-goodie.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    warzerior wrote: »
    You're talking about a former Republic who sanctioned Slavery and Racism ? Really they'd be above marauding other ships for supplies?

The Romulans, even of the Romulan Republic aren't all goodie-goodie.

At the risk of repeating myself... That's not the point!! :D

Ps.: I don't know who you are talking about, I'm referring to the new-born Romulan Republic (former- nothing). To me it seems that you are describing the Romulan Star Empire...
    And I don't want them to be goodie-goodie... I'd like them rommie-rommie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fwank2k9fwank2k9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a Reman captain, I'm all for the marauding, I want a piece of what the Universe has denied me. But maybe the soft shelled farmers don't feel that way, they can go join the Federation with their Unicorns and Rainbows and do diplomacy.

In the words of Prime Minister Admiral General Aladeen: You go to the bathroom after Osama, you will realize the true meaning of terrorism.

Which really has nothing to do with anything, I just watched The Dictator on Netflix.
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, while my captain is flying under the romulan republic's banners, it doesn't mean he can't go ahead and do a little side marauding here and there...I mean space is big, and I can cloak.

Besides, your an ally of the KDF, and the KDF respect a healthy dose of glory and pillaging. So in order to earn the respect of your ally, become the best marauder you can!
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can see the issue the OP has, I wonder myself oubat this. Can you ally with two parties that have a conflict with each other? Only when that conflict is not about something important. However when things heat up, when two parties are at war, hostile to each other you can only stay neutral and not ally yourself with both. Any examples in the real world?

What I see is game mechanics, concept, that overrule common sense here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Starfleet has "Diplomacy"
    KDF has "Marauding"

Romulan Republic should have their own main accolade! For motivations and proposals see my first post...
    It's as simple as that, IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]