test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Warriors of the Romulan Star Empire. (abit of spoilers for the Romulan storyarc)

rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Your "Empress" is a half-blood that listens to the man started the events that blew up your homeworld and he sells your people to outsiders and I choose not to bring up all the other "good" he have done for the Romulan people. And you hate the Romulan Republic because...? They don't want Romulans to be taken by Elachi? They won't follow the half-blood? Not trying to start a fight. Just asking questions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your "Empress" is a half-blood that listens to the man started the events that blew up your homeworld and he sells your people to outsiders and I choose not to bring up all the other "good" he have done for the Romulan people. And you hate the Romulan Republic because...? They don't want Romulans to be taken by Elachi? They won't follow the half-blood? Not trying to start a fight. Just asking questions.

I second the questions.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What part of "I'm evil don't trust me" didn't he understand?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I third the questions.
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    What was the reason for the Enterprise being submerged in the new movie?

What does that have to do with the Romulans? :confused:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are aware that the Empress only started cosying up to Hakeev as of LoR, right? Sela's Tal Shiar connection came about as the result of retcons, ditto the Elachii. Appealing to the current storyline is somewhat pointless when what so many are complaining about *is* the current storyline.

Personally, what I would want is a faction in the vein of the RSE from the shows, or the RSE in STO pre-LoR. Wanting that does not mean I necessarily want to be a Tal Shiar/Iconian/Elachii bootlick. In the previous storyline Sela hated the Tal Shiar, and the Romulan Military was seperate fro mte Tal Shiar. There was plenty of romm for Cryptic to write in a story for a Romulan faction that stayed true to their previously established culture and attitudes-they went in the opposite direction. The Romulan Republic is in many ways the exact opposite of what many of us Romulan fans liked about the idea of Romulans-the opposite of what we expected from a hypothetical Romulan faction if it were to be implemented. That's why I, and I suspect others, dislike the Romulan republic so much.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sela's Tal Shiar connection came about as the result of retcons,

This is not true. In Unification Part 2, Sela is allied with "Romulan Intelligence" (the term "Tal Shiar" hadn't been invented yet), so seeing her there is not a stretch at all.
    In the previous storyline Sela hated the Tal Shiar, and the Romulan Military was seperate fro mte Tal Shiar.

Sela still hates the Tal Shiar, but they are still a vital part of the Romulan government. You see hints of it throughout the storyline, from her wanting someone "who understands more than just blind loyalty to Hakeev" to be her person in the Tal Shiar, to Hakeev's secret computer full of things Sela would have him executed for, to their final confrontation on Brea, where she finally decides to just TRIBBLE the Tal Shiar, abandons Hakeev, and tries to blow up all her enemies with her dreadnaught.

The RSE and the military are also mentioned in a few missions, but they have always been subservient to the Tal Shiar.
    There was plenty of romm for Cryptic to write in a story for a Romulan faction that stayed true to their previously established culture and attitudes-they went in the opposite direction.

Every single movie, comic, and novel released since 2003 that has featured the Romulans has been about the disintegration of the old order. Rather it's the chaos of Hobus or the rise of the Imperial Romulan State, there is not a single thing post-Nemesis that allows for Romulans to be exactly like they once were in the shows.

I doubt the license holders would be happy if STO ignored over ten years of material just so you can play a snootier Romulan.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is not true. In Unification Part 2, Sela is allied with "Romulan Intelligence" (the term "Tal Shiar" hadn't been invented yet), so seeing her there is not a stretch at all.

Sela still hates the Tal Shiar, but they are still a vital part of the Romulan government. You see hints of it throughout the storyline, from her wanting someone "who understands more than just blind loyalty to Hakeev" to be her person in the Tal Shiar, to Hakeev's secret computer full of things Sela would have him executed for, to their final confrontation on Brea, where she finally decides to just TRIBBLE the Tal Shiar, abandons Hakeev, and tries to blow up all her enemies with her dreadnaught.

The RSE and the military are also mentioned in a few missions, but they have always been subservient to the Tal Shiar.

Every single movie, comic, and novel released since 2003 that has featured the Romulans has been about the disintegration of the old order. Rather it's the chaos of Hobus or the rise of the Imperial Romulan State, there is not a single thing post-Nemesis that allows for Romulans to be exactly like they once were in the shows.

I doubt the license holders would be happy if STO ignored over ten years of material just so you can play a snootier Romulan.
    And in path to 2409 Sela hates the Tal Shiar on no uncertain terms. In the original cutting the cord mission, she never talks to Hakeev, and there are no indications that she is cooperative with his Iconian plans. In fact, there are indicators to the opposite.

Romulan Military/Tal Shiar rivalry would have been the perfect excuse to have 'traditional' Romulans without having the players be Iconian/Tal Shiar/Elachii bootlicks.

STO follows a different continuity than those novels etc in case you haven't noticed, and at any rate, Nemesis is one of the most reviled Star Trek movies for a reason-it basically killed TNG-era trek. "it needs to follow Nemesis continuity!' is a ridiculous argument at best.

STO had a RSE in the same vein as the old RSE anyways. One that was recovering. It had a military and government that were not aware of the Tal Shiar's actions. Cryptic could have easily spun a reasonable RSE faction storyline out of that, but instead decided to go the opposite route. Setting up the RR as a faction took more contortions on the part of the storyline than any RSE faction would have.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In fact, there are indicators to the opposite.

Those indicators are still there. She realizes the extent of Hakeev's plans, leaves him for you to kill, and goes to crush the Remans herself. Obisek continues to say that he thinks she didn't know what Hakeev's plans really were.
    STO had a RSE in the same vein as the old RSE anyways. One that was recovering.

If by "recovering" you mean going from "barely existed" to "kinda exists", yeah. Sela's only been Empress for a year, and before that, they were on the verge of yet another civil war over Taris.

There's an entire episode dedicated to showing what people in the new Star Empire live like: "Mine Enemy". Before that, you see system descriptions and do Fed patrols about Romulan planets leaving the Empire as fast as they can, if they ever even bothered rejoining in the first place.

The idea that the RSE had fully regained everything they'd lost over 30 years in a single year is entirely a misconception that is completely unsupported in the game or the fiction.
    STO follows a different continuity than those novels etc in case you haven't noticed, and at any rate, Nemesis is one of the most reviled Star Trek movies for a reason-it basically killed TNG-era trek. "it needs to follow Nemesis continuity!' is a ridiculous argument at best.

The novels are a different continuity, but in that continuity the same thing is happening that's happening here, and that's been happening since maybe DS9 . . or since Unification Part 1 (or even Enemy Mine).

Nemesis is canon and cannot be ignored, rather you like it or not.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nemesis is canon and cannot be ignored, rather you like it or not.
    This. Believe me, I'd love to throw Nemesis right into the mass converter and pretend it never existed, but it does. All Trek materials that even pretend to be "canon" have to treat it seriously (same for Insurrection, which I hated even more).

So yeah, the Empire, having been depicted as quite centralized, was effectively killed the moment Hakeev shot it in the head (by using the Hobus supernova and certain proscribed technologies to destroy the homeworld). The Imperial Fleet? Now just a bunch of ships that happen to have an IRW tag on their names, playing at serving an Empire that no longer exists. And if, as we have been given reason to believe, loyalty oaths in the Imperial service are to particular individuals (as has been historically the case everywhere) rather than to some more abstract concept of Empire, there's no compelling reason for the commander of one Romulan ship to pay the least attention to another.

Sela is frantically scrabbling to weld together the disparate fragments of her late Empire before it's too late, using the Tal Shiar and the Hirogen as her tools. Problem is, they're more "blunt weapon" than "welding torch"; the techniques they're using, rather than frightening more systems into compliance, are driving those systems into D'Tan's arms for protection. If she ever realizes her error, it's going to be far too late anyway - her former people are going to have an emotional investment in the Romulan Republic, the way they used to in the Romulan Star Empire, and won't willingly return to the way things were.

Now, if you're really that committed to playing a "sneaky, underhanded, conniving" Romulan, use the same tactic that CO players use when they want to play villains. In your headcanon, you can be a Tal Shiar agent, under deep cover in the RR, and sending back detailed reports on everything you learn to your superiors whenever you have time to yourself...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's not jump at the conculsion here folks! Hakeev may have power behind the Tal Shiar but not all power.I feel Sela and perhaps others in the Romulan Star Empire still have "cells" through out the galaxy with Tal Shiar badges... In STO we have just been dealing with "Hakeev's Tal Shiar". I still have faith that the true Tal Shiar (the intelligence one and not this privite military force) hasnt shown it's face yet.
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem does not lie with Sela being a half-breed, it lies with Sela being so insecure about being a half-breed that she wants to be more Rihan than the Rihanh. Her problem is her desire for power. She desires power for selfish reasons, to prove that she is Romulan, instead of that power to be used for the good of the Rihanh.

Hakeev, on the other hand, is a nohtho'kllhe. Death would be a good thing to bestow on that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]