test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me get the point of Overcharge

dudebguydudebguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Right now I see no point in ever using singularity overcharge, it makes your damage independent of weapon power, however, it actually makes you hit for less than regular attacks at over 100 power.

http://i5.minus.com/iX3RRdnMG6gB7.png

By the time you get singularity overcharge you will be packing over 100 weapon power, so, what is the point of this power?
Post edited by dudebguy on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like it'd be good Aux focused Science builds, giving a burst of damage even with low Weapon power. Also, by the end of your firing cycle you'll be below the weapon power needed to hit that DPS, depending on how much you overstacked it and any anti-drain abilities/procs running.
  • distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dudebguy wrote: »
    Right now I see no point in ever using singularity overcharge, it makes your damage independent of weapon power, however, it actually makes you hit for less than regular attacks at over 100 power.

By the time you get singularity overcharge you will be packing over 100 weapon power, so, what is the point of this power?

I went and checked this on my ship, and found that it increased the DPS above the normal damage, but not by much. (Less than rapid fire 1) My guess, is that the reason mine is scaling better is due to my ship being a Fleet Dhaelen with 5 +damage consoles.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my haakona it increases damage it's like a beam overload .25 or cannon rapid fire .25

and the no weapon power drain it seems to be focused towards cruisers
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting. The real question is 'Are all weapons like this, or just Cannons?'.

Also, do not forget that that's the first shot-your power will drain up and down, influencing your damage during your shooting.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been using it as a kind of rapid fire of last resort, to get rid of the gap between DHCs. This is pretty helpful on my PVE builds which are all scatter volley, and I need to run down a Borg Raptor
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dudebguy wrote: »

Somebody is missing the point that you fire faster, most weapons have a faster cooldown, and there is zero energy drain during overcharge.

It's a solid filler ability for when you're a smidge off with your offensive rotation, but want to kick out more than baseline damage.
  • distantworldsdistantworlds Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Somebody is missing the point that you fire faster, most weapons have a faster cooldown

DPS takes into account rate of fire. It's the "PS" part of DPS.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DPS takes into account rate of fire. It's the "PS" part of DPS.

Get back to me when STO's tooltip DPS numbers are accurate.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    easy to check, get a friend/fleetmate/whoever and record combatlog for straight weapons and overcharge, then compare damage