test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Defense of Mr. Abrams' Enterprise

captaincorvoecaptaincorvoe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
The Constitution says one has the right to a defense attorney, so here goes. :D

I'm a new age Trek fan, one of the few. I try to explain to my friend the appeal of Star Trek, but they just don't get it..I stand alone. I respect and love the old canon shows, but at the same time, I have been pampered by the Hollywood witchcraft called CGI, displayed so childishly in movies like Avatar, Transformers 1-3, and Pacific Rim (giant Rock'em Sock'em robots....really?). Go back and look at Gene Roddenberry's original 1966 U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701, Constitution Class. Study her, remember her glorious moments, her defeats, victories, sacrifices etc. etc. Now, go out side and look at you mini-van..or coupe, sedan, convertible. If you put warp nacelles on a Prius, it would look more 2255 than the original enterprise. Gene Roddenberry was a genius, but he was genius handicapped by his own time period. The Space Shuttle looks like it could out run the old connie! If J.J. Abrams had put that ship on the big screen, just touching up the looks, not changing the design, it would have been a comedy, and probably a worse failure than poor Nemesis.

Gene Roddenberry had no way of knowing what the year 2255 would look like, he had to base his knowledge off what he saw in the 1960's. We passed the look of Mr. Roddenberry's 2255 in the early 90's. J.J. Abrams had to step into Roddenberry's shoes, and create a future that looked, futuristic, fortunately, he was able to do this in what Roddenberry would consider the future. The Original Series, no matter how good, just doesn't look like the 23rd century, J.J. Abrams had to make something that did. I think he did a marvelous job.

Star Trek needed a face lift like a fly needs swatting. A reboot needs to look like a reboot, not a rehash. No matter what your opinion on her is, the New Enterprise looks like a starship from the future! Swept lines, organic nuances, white washed hallways, a bridge built by Apple, and a window splashed with all sorts of HUD information. Today, that is considered futuristic. The nacelles are large and bulky, giving them a sense of crucial functionality, but are graceful and advanced in appearance next to the long metal tubes of her 1966 grandmother. The engineering deck looks like a place where engineers engineered stuff. In pretty much every other series, it was one room. Running lights are becoming more and more prevalent (shoutout to everyone's favorite trendsetter Audi), Enterprise is now adorned with remarkable accent lights, giving her a majestic yet conservative presence that captures the ship's size(s) and technological superiority.

I have nothing against the original enterprise, it was the one that started it all, but she was made in 1966, and its 2013 now. The law actually states she's an antique. The Abrams Enterprise is a fresh take on Starfleet and is a design that we can all look at and say, "wow, that looks futuristic, I wish I lived in 2255!" We no longer get that affect with the original enterprise, no matter how much we want it to. No take your rightful place in the Trek Hall of Fame 66' Enterprise, you will always be remembered as the one who started it all, but time has taken its toll. The new Enterprise has arrived, big, mean, sexy, and ready to make Star Trek look like the science fiction adventure it was when it began, weird neck, nacelles, and all. That's my two cents, thanks for the read and any feed back! :D
Vice Admiral Onyx Corvoe
U.S.S. Bandersnatch
Chimera Class Heavy Destroyer
"Bander"-Leader. "snatch"-To Kill
"The Jaws that Bite, the Claws that Catch"
Post edited by captaincorvoe on

Comments

• ruffled123ruffled123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im gonna have to disagree for the simple reason that the JJ Boobyprise looks like the TOS Connie, Motion Picture Connie, Ambassador class and Excelsior class all had a wild orgy. There isnt anything original or fresh about its design whatsoever. I mean FFS, the ships throttle control is a fishing boat throttle handle..lol.

The new ship is just like the new movies...JJ tries to skim the "coolness" out of the rest of the franchise to gather fans and then delivers a final product that is high on CGI but low on substance. Both clearly appeal to the visual senses but leave the mind dull and yearning for something more.

Oh, BTW.. Gene had no idea what the future looked like..and neither do you, I, or JJ. JJs Apple Store Bridge may not be what the future looks like either. At least Gene was original and used his imagination :)
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I still think the nacelles look TRIBBLE.
  • shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The magic of the original Enterprise is that she was designed to be plausible under the set of rules that were given for that universe. The new Enterprise I find to be a bit ungainly compared to well proportioned ships of old. It resembles a caricature of the original silhouette which I think is the point. JJ Abrams and his team specialize in bringing out the emotion of what they're handling, and I think the new movies and tech do that very well.

(They still need to shrink those doggone bunny-ear nacelles though. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so.)
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
  • captaincorvoecaptaincorvoe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, define originality. There is only so much space to be original before getting completely off course with the design. He is given a saucer, neck, hull, two pylons and two nacelles to work with, and they each must be placed in a particular location, or else its not the Enterprise. And I kind of liked the handle for warp. Warping is such an iconic Star Trek function, and its always just been done at the push of a button, which I think is a bit underwhelming. With that handle, there's a sense of, "oh boy, warp speed!" instead of just, "hey, he pressed the button now we're at warp."

Once again, the original series was written and shot in a different time, a lot of what happened in the original series is no longer valid today, hence the devilishly clever alternate reality situation. The Original series was deep in many controversial issues, and advocated for a much more tolerant society, a lot like the one we live in today. Much of those deep issues have been resolved over time. Our society today is much closer to what Roddenberry had in mind than the 1960's society was. I really didn't get the feeling from either movie that the entire movie was effect driven. Sure the effects were awesome, but just because the bad guy has one motive that everybody knows about, doesn't necessarily mean its a paper then plot. Same thing with Into Darkness, Khan was played wonderfully by Cumberbatch, and I thought that he was a very deep character given the circumstances involving his crew.

Thats basically what i was saying, he had no idea what the future would look like, so he had to base it off what he knew and saw from the 60's. I'm not saying JJ's future is correct either, but when we compare the two, which one looks more futuristic? JJ had to use his imagination as well, no doubt he drew inspiration from Apple stores. I'm sure Gene drew inspiration from something too. Its hard to be truly original with a series with such a well defined story line and history. You can't stray too far or else it just isn't Star trek
    Vice Admiral Onyx Corvoe
    U.S.S. Bandersnatch
    edited May 2013
    shaunkl wrote: »
    The magic of the original Enterprise is that she was designed to be plausible under the set of rules that were given for that universe. The new Enterprise I find to be a bit ungainly compared to well proportioned ships of old. It resembles a caricature of the original silhouette which I think is the point. JJ Abrams and his team specialize in bringing out the emotion of what they're handling, and I think the new movies and tech do that very well.

(They still need to shrink those doggone bunny-ear nacelles though. They've had plenty of opportunity to do so.)

I would love to hear Abrams' justification for making the nacelles so large. Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who thinks they look cool! I agree with your first statement entirely, and that's what the new Enterprise does, It's more plausible (to me at least) because I'm viewing that universe from 2013, instead of 1966. Once again I agree with the idea about emotions. There's certainly a sense of awe coupled to the new Enterprise
    Vice Admiral Onyx Corvoe
    U.S.S. Bandersnatch
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to pose a question to captaincorvoe, and in no why mean it to be offense or anything like that, but I think it is very relevant to this, but I'll explain that later.

captaincorvoe: How old are you?

I know at first glance that question might not seem relevant, but it many many ways that's extremely relevant. I'm guessing teens/early twenties.

Personally i'm 32, I grew up watching TNG, but being a lover of sci-fi in general watched many different sci-fi shows and experienced the different progressions of ships designs where some shows took a more organic approach to ship designs. Whereas the younger generations right from the beginning have been exposed to more organic designs since they grew up, yet the older generations grew up with very mechanical, utilitarian designs.

I think in a lot of ways age plays much more on how people perceive old vs new designs of something so established as the Enterprise and that is the point I was attempting to make/verify.

As far as the oversized nacelles...here's my guess.

Since it's an earlier warp capable ship and they haven't really nailed down high efficiency, Oversized intake manifolds (Bussard collectors) ,compression stage (where the nacelle starts to thin out a bit), Finally ending with a compression exhaust manifold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aesthetically, there's not really that much wrong with the exterior, at least to me, my problem is that whole bigger is cool attitude in the design. It is massively overscaled with no care towards making it even look the right size. Look at the friggin windows, they used the exact same saucer as the motion picture refit, with all the same windows, except it's several times larger then the original, the scale just doesn't fit. I for one am glad JJ is moving on to the new Star Wars films, he'll be too busy ruining that franchise to do any more harm to this one.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    I want to pose a question to captaincorvoe, and in no why mean it to be offense or anything like that, but I think it is very relevant to this, but I'll explain that later.

captaincorvoe: How old are you?

I know at first glance that question might not seem relevant, but it many many ways that's extremely relevant. I'm guessing teens/early twenties.

Personally i'm 32, I grew up watching TNG, but being a lover of sci-fi in general watched many different sci-fi shows and experienced the different progressions of ships designs where some shows took a more organic approach to ship designs. Whereas the younger generations right from the beginning have been exposed to more organic designs since they grew up, yet the older generations grew up with very mechanical, utilitarian designs.

I think in a lot of ways age plays much more on how people perceive old vs new designs of something so established as the Enterprise and that is the point I was attempting to make/verify.

As far as the oversized nacelles...here's my guess.

Since it's an earlier warp capable ship and they haven't really nailed down high efficiency, Oversized intake manifolds (Bussard collectors) ,compression stage (where the nacelle starts to thin out a bit), Finally ending with a compression exhaust manifold.

The oversized starship part bit has been there since the Excelsior was first shown, I believe the term Pregnant Guppy was thrown around.

Then with TNG, the D's saucer was too big. So, when I hear people about starship part too big, I say give it time. Personally, I hated the Intrepid for the first few seasons of Voyager, the ship looked stubby and the triangular saucer put me off.

Actually, the TOS Constitution is older than the new Constitution by like ten years.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aesthetically, there's not really that much wrong with the exterior, at least to me, my problem is that whole bigger is cool attitude in the design. It is massively overscaled with no care towards making it even look the right size. Look at the friggin windows, they used the exact same saucer as the motion picture refit, with all the same windows, except it's several times larger then the original, the scale just doesn't fit. I for one am glad JJ is moving on to the new Star Wars films, he'll be too busy ruining that franchise to do any more harm to this one.

So what you're saying is JJ stole Cryptics interiors or the other way around?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, how could gene know that starship engineering departments should look like a brewery back in the 60s? Even in JJ verse, I see SRS systems are also a lost technology in the 23rd century.:rolleyes:
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I honestly preferred the TMP redesign over the TOS version of the Enterprise so I'm not to broken up about the Abram's redesign.

Besides at least they didn't use that god awful Planet of the Titans Enterprise design.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Well I honestly preferred the TMP redesign over the TOS version of the Enterprise so I'm not to broken up about the Abram's redesign.

Besides at least they didn't use that god awful Planet of the Titans Enterprise design.

I agree. The refit is definitely my favorite Star Trek ship.

Probably because that's really what I grew up on. I watched all of TOS as a kid and it's my favorite of the series, but the original movies are really what made me a Trekkie.

To me, every other Starfleet vessel that isn't the original movie Enterprise seems off to me, so the new one doesn't bother me any more than the others.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do we get to throw around age as a qualifier? Because I'm 49. I grew up watching the original series, starting during its original run (had to catch the third season in reruns later, because my folks wouldn't let me stay up that late even on a Friday night - I was only six, after all).

I loved the original Enterprise, loved the refit, thought the Galaxy-class looked horribly ungainly, and am still kind of meh about the Sovereign-class. And the only problems I have with the newest iteration are a) it was apparently built on Earth, not in orbit (why???), and b) they didn't explain in the movie why there were these huge water pipes running around - I had to explain that one myself (secondary coolant for the warp reactor, which is good, because the design in TNG was always spraying warp coolant all over Engineering). Why is there all this piping anyway? Well, who's to say it wasn't there in the original? That engineering hull was huge, and all we ever saw of it were the shuttle bay and the control room for the warp drive. For all we know, all the rest of it looked like a steampunk fan's wet dream.

(Speaking of ship classes, was that a stealth pun in the first post, about "the Constitution"? :) )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah but it does have a cavernous interior and we've not seen the windows from the inside, have we? They could all be 15 feet tall rather than the typical waist height windows from before.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Space Shuttle looks like it could out run the old connie!

I like the new enterprise in the JJ movies. But this comment above doesn't work for me. There's no friction in space. So aerodynamic design isn't really going to do anything in the context of going fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the JJ movie enterprise is meant to look a little cartoony just like how many of the aliens in the films look a little cartoony. It's the whole hollywood retro cutesy thing like in films like The Flintstones 1994 or lost in space 1998 etc (The JJ films are much better than these examples).
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm 28 and I love the New Trek! I also love all the series and movies that came before it.

As for the pipes, do you know what deuterium is? It's water. How do you move water? Pipes.

Hmm, does that mean there are pipes carrying antideuterium? D:

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I am 18 going into college in the fall, and I totally agree with you, age does play a critical factor. Like i said before, I was raised on sharp and advanced looking imagery. CGI affects made everything look so real (except everything terrible they did to Star Wars by adding CGi....)! The glitzy look of CGI does relate with me much more than the older connie, but even the most dedicated Trekkie has to admit that the 2009 Enterprise looks more 2255 than the 1966 Enterprise.
    Vice Admiral Onyx Corvoe
    U.S.S. Bandersnatch
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    The oversized starship part bit has been there since the Excelsior was first shown, I believe the term Pregnant Guppy was thrown around.

Then with TNG, the D's saucer was too big. So, when I hear people about starship part too big, I say give it time. Personally, I hated the Intrepid for the first few seasons of Voyager, the ship looked stubby and the triangular saucer put me off.

Actually, the TOS Constitution is older than the new Constitution by like ten years.

it's not just that its oversized, it's that it doesn't look oversized. I know that probably doesn't make much sense, but they just blew it up without changing the details to match the new size. I'm sorry, but the "they made the windows bigger" defense doesn't hold water, nor does the supposition that they must have added additional decks between said window rows to make them fit.

By the way, why does the ship need 8 torpedo tubes on each side of the engineering hull? Obviously they aren't supposed to be the same as the torpedo bay on the neck.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Constitution says one has the right to a defense attorney, so here goes. :D

I'm a new age Trek fan, one of the few. I try to explain to my friend the appeal of Star Trek, but they just don't get it..I stand alone. I respect and love the old canon shows, but at the same time, I have been pampered by the Hollywood witchcraft called CGI, displayed so childishly in movies like Avatar, Transformers 1-3, and Pacific Rim (giant Rock'em Sock'em robots....really?). Go back and look at Gene Roddenberry's original 1966 U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701, Constitution Class. Study her, remember her glorious moments, her defeats, victories, sacrifices etc. etc. Now, go out side and look at you mini-van..or coupe, sedan, convertible. If you put warp nacelles on a Prius, it would look more 2255 than the original enterprise. Gene Roddenberry was a genius, but he was genius handicapped by his own time period. The Space Shuttle looks like it could out run the old connie! If J.J. Abrams had put that ship on the big screen, just touching up the looks, not changing the design, it would have been a comedy, and probably a worse failure than poor Nemesis.

Gene Roddenberry had no way of knowing what the year 2255 would look like, he had to base his knowledge off what he saw in the 1960's. We passed the look of Mr. Roddenberry's 2255 in the early 90's. J.J. Abrams had to step into Roddenberry's shoes, and create a future that looked, futuristic, fortunately, he was able to do this in what Roddenberry would consider the future. The Original Series, no matter how good, just doesn't look like the 23rd century, J.J. Abrams had to make something that did. I think he did a marvelous job.

Star Trek needed a face lift like a fly needs swatting. A reboot needs to look like a reboot, not a rehash. No matter what your opinion on her is, the New Enterprise looks like a starship from the future! Swept lines, organic nuances, white washed hallways, a bridge built by Apple, and a window splashed with all sorts of HUD information. Today, that is considered futuristic. The nacelles are large and bulky, giving them a sense of crucial functionality, but are graceful and advanced in appearance next to the long metal tubes of her 1966 grandmother. The engineering deck looks like a place where engineers engineered stuff. In pretty much every other series, it was one room. Running lights are becoming more and more prevalent (shoutout to everyone's favorite trendsetter Audi), Enterprise is now adorned with remarkable accent lights, giving her a majestic yet conservative presence that captures the ship's size(s) and technological superiority.

I have nothing against the original enterprise, it was the one that started it all, but she was made in 1966, and its 2013 now. The law actually states she's an antique. The Abrams Enterprise is a fresh take on Starfleet and is a design that we can all look at and say, "wow, that looks futuristic, I wish I lived in 2255!" We no longer get that affect with the original enterprise, no matter how much we want it to. No take your rightful place in the Trek Hall of Fame 66' Enterprise, you will always be remembered as the one who started it all, but time has taken its toll. The new Enterprise has arrived, big, mean, sexy, and ready to make Star Trek look like the science fiction adventure it was when it began, weird neck, nacelles, and all. That's my two cents, thanks for the read and any feed back! :D

I know and understand what you are saying. I am 40 and lived off of TOS growing up. I don't have too much of a problem with the JJ 'prise with exception of a few things:

1) Blindness by lens flare, self explanatory.

2) Brewery for an engineering department, just about any other previous iteration of an engine room looked better to me

3) Its way too big, it should have been much closer in proportion to the Connie's of TOS. Movies etc.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a twisted mutant version of the (lovely, IMO) TOS-movies Connie. The saucer is identical, as others have noted, but then you look lower...

I don't mind the nacelles so much, but the proportions of the dorsal, the engineering hull... it's all wrong, in a way that pushes the new ship into the Uncanny Valley for me.

(And as I said from the moment I saw the first trailer, "Font's wrong." Maybe that 1960s USAF typeface isn't cool anymore, but... meh. The whole thing put together makes me think, "You haven't actually seen any of the original series, have you?")
    edited May 2013
    foxalpha5 wrote: »
    As for the pipes, do you know what deuterium is? It's water.
    Deuterium is not water. Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen, with a neutron as well as a proton and an electron. In its pure form, it would be a gas at room temperature.

Water is composed of hydrogen and oxygen, in a ratio of two atoms of hydrogen for each atom of oxygen (H2O). Deuterium and oxygen can combine in the same ratio (2H2O) to form heavy water.

What was running through those pipes was not deuterium - and a good thing, too, as deuterium is every bit as flammable as its brother hydrogen.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the moment the only thing that bugs me about it is its capability for atmospheric flight. In the prime 'verse this was meant to be something new and exciting that came in with the Intrepid, which was specially built to be able to take the stresses of re-entry and what happens when you try and manoeuvre a 700,000 ton brick through the atmosphere.

The only thing that the Connie shares in that regard is that it's a several hundred thousand ton brick.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The main issue I have with the JJ Abrams Constitution is the lack of strong ties to its predecessor, the NX-class starship. From what I can tell, history in Star Trek Enterprise remained unchanged - Archer and his crew still fought the Xindi, Enterprise was still Earth's first Warp Five starship, and the Coalition of Planets (precursor to the United Federation of Planets) still existed.

The problem is this: Why is the Kelvin and JJPrise so different from the NX-class starship design? Sure, there are components which remind me vaguely of the NX-class - the metallic look of the Kelvin's bridge, the red phase cannons on the Kelvin, and the weird airlock on the bridge of the JJPrise. But for ships that are direct descendants of the NX-class ship and era, I'm a little confused as to the radical change in starship design.

By all rights, the Kelvin should have had:
    • A much smaller size
    • Even if a larger size was deemed necessary, the ship should have been explained away as a prototype class for larger deep-space exploration vessels.
    • Less shuttles, with "shuttlepod" characteristics, ie no warp nacelles.
    • Bridge interior should have less personnel stations.
    • Turbolifts should have the twist handles or other rudimentary elevator devices.
    • Hallways should be contained with bulkheads, doors, etc., instead of being a factory.
    • Uniforms should look more NASA-like, with a mission patch or rank pips.
    • More spotlights throughout the ship, instead of lens flares.
    • Warp nacelles with no visible exhaust (TOS Connie), or old fashioned warp field grilles (NX-class), with Bussard collectors
    • Docking ports
    • No transporter enhancer pads on the saucer
    • No glass viewscreen

The JJPrise should have been a further progression from that:
    • Smaller vessel size
    • Shuttles are still few, hangar bay is not too large (although this can be omitted if Starfleet feels shuttle evac capacity is important after the destruction of the Kelvin)
    • Hallways are more numerous
    • No brewery for an Engineering section
    • Warp core is still horizontal instead of a sphere
    • Plasma injectors can be easily damaged
    • Bridge has a holographic viewscreen, not a glass one
    • More utilitarian bridge consoles - less white
    • Escape pods don't eject from the airlock hatch, only from the saucer as seen in ENT: "In a Mirror Darkly"
    • Warp engine nacelles are more utilitarian, including vent grilles, circular braces along the circumference, places to attach cables, etc.
    • (Into Darkness, ending) Impulse engines don't take up a quarter of the circumference of the saucer.
    • Deflector still has hints of the copper dish.
    • Name/registry is still on the underside of the saucer.
    • Phase cannons, as opposed to the Defiant\s pulse cannons, are used.

Those are just my opinions on the ship itself. I found that there seemed to be a huge developmental gap between the NX-class and this ship.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The main issue I have with the JJ Abrams Constitution is the lack of strong ties to its predecessor, the NX-class starship.

Not everything in RL has a nice tidy evolution to it sometimes there are big leaps that seem ahead of their time. Take aircraft in the 1930's they went from zeppelins to jet planes in less than a decade.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh I've been a trek fan my whole life, and I think the new movies breathe some fresh life into a stagnant mess that has been abandoned by age. Yes they aren't the boring episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9, or w/e that are all diplomatic, or some crazy narrative, but honestly, aside from watching them on tv at one point in time, I skip to the episodes that I like, which are action packed, and have intrigue, or mystery. The new trek movies don't have William Shatner, or Ricardo Montalban, and Leonard Nimoy is old, and they are set in an alternate timeline, and things are different to attract fans, but there is also the familiarity to the old that makes me smile, or gets me ready to go into a tangent about how the old compares to the new. The Wrath of Khan is one of my favorite movies of the original, but Into Darkness was a great spin on an old tale.

There was that one moment where I was the only person in a theatre full that guffawed out loud LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If memory serves me correctly, didn't Gene get someone from Nasa to help design the original enterprise.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If memory serves me correctly, didn't Gene get someone from Nasa to help design the original enterprise.

Matt Jeffries was an aeronautical expert, but I don't think he worked at NASA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    At the moment the only thing that bugs me about it is its capability for atmospheric flight.
    TOS episode "Tomorrow Is Yesterday". The Enterprise was in Earth's atmosphere (in 1969) long enough for Offutt AFB to scramble a squadron of fighters to check it out. (And for the ship's tractor beam to accidentally destroy one of the F-104 Starfighters - fortunately, they beamed the pilot aboard; unfortunately, they had to find a way to undo it all, because his son was going to be very important to history, and he hadn't been born yet.)

Really, all the Intrepid-class added was the ability to land on a planet and take off again. (The old TOS Technical Manual said that the saucer section of a Constitution-class could land after separation, but would require the assistance of at least two other ships equipped with tractor beams to lift off again.)

Why doesn't the Kelvin look more like an NX-class ship? Well, given the span of time, one might as well ask why a Piper Cub doesn't look more like a Wright Flyer...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ruffled123 wrote: »
    At least Gene was original and used his imagination...
    Don't you mean Matt Jefferies?

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime