test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Love the Romulans, but ...

organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
First thing, I love the LoR expansion. I really love it. Even the best buddy concept with Tovan Khev. Before Romulus, I thought I would stay a Fed and never lay a hand on the new faction. But it changed. Thank you Cryptic.

But there are some things that really bother me. It is this "Everything for the Romulans, but nothing with the Romulans" behavior.

So the Romulans get their own story, their own ships, they can use most of the Fed/KDF ships and items, they can use Fed/KDF Duty Officers and Bridge Officers. And they can use Fed/Romulan styled uniforms. I have absolutely no problem with that.

What me angers is the stubborn behaviour :
As Fed, I bought a Romulan Boff at the Fed/Romulan Embassy. I can't customize the body of the Romulan, nor the face. I even can't put him into something like a Fed uniform.

I sent two Boffs from my Fed to my Romulan toon. But there are no uniform pieces from the Romulans available to my Fed Boffs. Not even the Fed/Romulan hybrid uniforms.
I wanted to have a near identical look for my crew.

In my opinion, some restrictions should be rethinked.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• turalisj89turalisj89 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There isn't a very good ability to get Federation stuff and Klingon stuff as a Romulan, I agree. I bought a mirror assault cruiser for my FedRom, but can't use it apparently. :(
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What me angers is the stubborn behaviour :
    As Fed, I bought a Romulan Boff at the Fed/Romulan Embassy. I can't customize the body of the Romulan, nor the face. I even can't put him into something like a Fed uniform.

I sent two Boffs from my Fed to my Romulan toon. But there are no uniform pieces from the Romulans available to my Fed Boffs. Not even the Fed/Romulan hybrid uniforms.
    I wanted to have a near identical look for my crew.
    I agree that these restrictions are ridiculous. They're called "uniforms" for a reason, people. Heck, in CO it's even possible for a supergroup to set colors that they want everyone in their group to wear - and here, I can't put all my starship personnel into a single uniform?

(It's pretty ridiculous with the Tal Shiar uniform, too - my female Romulan can't wear the chest piece, and my Reman female can't wear the top at all, but can wear a hip piece that's supposed to be for Tal Shiar lieutenants. On the other hand, I just have my crew in that uniform for the duration of the Tal Shiar storyline - as soon as we're done with that, they're putting their regular uniforms back on.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for support.

The whole meaning of this Alliance System seems to be restricted like a One-Way Street.

Either both factions work together hand in hand or there is no need for an alliance.

Feds/KDFs: "We give you Romulans our weapons, ships, officers. You can add them to your own stuff."

Romulans: "Give us your stuff, we add them to our own stuff. And no, you are not allowed to wear our uniforms, and we are also not wearing your uniforms."
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes I notice this as well...also when you to get a new Boff it always has your toon in the first modification screen and I can't tell you how many times I have made the mistake of selecting my toon instead of the new Boff. I don't need to modify my toon I have already done that so why does my picture even appear there? :mad:
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulans: "Give us your stuff, we add them to our own stuff. And no, you are not allowed to wear our uniforms, and we are also not wearing your uniforms."

What is wrong with that?

Why should someone have a Starfleet Uniform if they are not in Starfleet? Why should someone have a Romulan uniform if they are not part of the Romulan Republic or whatever?

Just because you are a ally does not give you the right to wear the uniform.
  • scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greetings - I new to the Trek Online system last Star Trek game I played was SFC3 and SFC2 as far as online so I have played a couple of days seems fun I have a starter ship...etc. I was thinking of giving myself a birthday present and get the Romulan Legacy Pack.....thought I am confused about exactly what I am getting (more ship wise). Understand the additional tags and uniforms, but are you getting the ships? Is it better to pass on it and get zen/gold? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (if I could start a new thread I would except the forum rules prohibit it for now....sigh
  • revalahrevalah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scrag0416 wrote: »
    Greetings - I new to the Trek Online system last Star Trek game I played was SFC3 and SFC2 as far as online so I have played a couple of days seems fun I have a starter ship...etc. I was thinking of giving myself a birthday present and get the Romulan Legacy Pack.....thought I am confused about exactly what I am getting (more ship wise). Understand the additional tags and uniforms, but are you getting the ships? Is it better to pass on it and get zen/gold? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (if I could start a new thread I would except the forum rules prohibit it for now....sigh

The Legacy pack gives you every C'store Romulan ship currently available, a Bridge officer and a few more bits and pieces. Theres also a "starter" pack that gives you 2 ships and the bridge officer, which is the one I bought.

The ships also come with Consoles, most of which you can moce to other ships, and which have various effects.

You can Play STO and the Legacy of Romulus expansion without buying the legacy pack. You get free ships as you gain rank in the game anyway, and the stock ships are pretty good and are more than enough for you to enjoy the game if you wish. The C-store ships tend to have more bridge officer slots and have different designs of the base ship you can use, and some have more console slots as well.

Hope this helps.
  • scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks it does.....
    edited May 2013
    What is wrong with that?

Why should someone have a Starfleet Uniform if they are not in Starfleet? Why should someone have a Romulan uniform if they are not part of the Romulan Republic or whatever?

Just because you are a ally does not give you the right to wear the uniform.

As Fed captain, I am able to buy and assign Romulan Boffs to my ship. So they are working for me and I really would appreciate if they would wear something similar to the crew's uniforms.

I also have a Romulan captain, he and my Romulan crew can wear Starfleet/Romulan hybrid uniforms, but when I assign a Federation Boff (Human, Trill, etc) to my Romulan crew, they don't even have the option to wear this hybrid uniform.

Whenever I worked for a company, no matter how long, I also had to wear their clothes to represent the company I was working for, or working with.

It shows respect to one another, and as a RPGler I value a uniform look.
  • trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As Fed captain, I am able to buy and assign Romulan Boffs to my ship. So they are working for me and I really would appreciate if they would wear something similar to the crew's uniforms.

I also have a Romulan captain, he and my Romulan crew can wear Starfleet/Romulan hybrid uniforms, but when I assign a Federation Boff (Human, Trill, etc) to my Romulan crew, they don't even have the option to wear this hybrid uniform.

Whenever I worked for a company, no matter how long, I also had to wear their clothes to represent the company I was working for, or working with.

I'll point you to TNG episode A Matter of Honor. Riker is sent to a Klingon vessel as part of an officer exchange program. He does not change out of his Starfleet uniform. The same principle applies here, the Romulans / Federation bridge officers you are picking up are not members of the Federation or the Republic, but are 'on loan' so to speak.

That being said, the Romulan's really should be able to use the Hybrid uniforms on their bridge officers, since it is simply a visible representation of the player's choice.
  • bb62squidbb62squid Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just want to point out that today, when allied nations conduct military exchange programs, the participants maintain the uniforms of their respective organizations; i.e., if a US naval officer is attached to the Royal Navy, or the German navy, or the Aussie navy, he or she wears their US Navy uniform. At no point would they transition and wear the military uniform of a foreign power. Same logic would seem to apply here.
    edited May 2013
    I would be happy if I could at least give Fed Boffs this Federation/Romulan hybrid jackets and trousers. Thats why those uniform parts are there for. To show the alliance between Fed/KDF and Romulans.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trycksh0t wrote: »
    I'll point you to TNG episode A Matter of Honor. Riker is sent to a Klingon vessel as part of an officer exchange program. He does not change out of his Starfleet uniform. The same principle applies here, the Romulans / Federation bridge officers you are picking up are not members of the Federation or the Republic, but are 'on loan' so to speak.

Similarly, in all of DS9, the Bajoran Milita continues to wear their own uniforms. Kira even wears her Milita uniform when in command of the Defiant.

And there's a Romulan officer serving on the Defiant when they first get the cloaking device, who continues to wear a Romulan uniform.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really love the Romulan costumes. Very cool.

There are few things that's odd though, and I reported it on tribble, but I guess no-one saw it.

The color palettes for matching items are not the same like wrist braces, so trying to get them to match is a nightmare.

Also, sometimes if I change one item it changes a completely unrelated item as well.

Some settings on the garments do not seem to affect anything. I change them to the most outrageous color I can think of and see no visible change.

And this one is the weirdest for me. On one toon I have access to Romulan veteran wrist braces similar to the Klingon Veteran shoulder boards, and really cool looking, but I cannot see them on any of my other toons, and I gave tried all the costumes :(
    edited May 2013

I agree, and one could argue that the moment that they are assigned to your crew, they are now doing so as members of the New Republic, not representatives of Starfleet, or KDF.

I hear what everyone is saying about the films etc about the exchange officers, but not really feasible when 70% of all your crew is the enemy!
    edited May 2013
    bb62squid wrote: »
    I just want to point out that today, when allied nations conduct military exchange programs, the participants maintain the uniforms of their respective organizations; i.e., if a US naval officer is attached to the Royal Navy, or the German navy, or the Aussie navy, he or she wears their US Navy uniform. At no point would they transition and wear the military uniform of a foreign power. Same logic would seem to apply here.

True, but if you look back at history, there was also the direct opposite e.g Roman Empire, Greek, Turks, Germany esp. SS, Napoloen France, 18th century British Empire etc etc. All these nations conquered/ or colonies wore the underlying uniforms with just a small differentiation in regards to emblems, etc. Though now that I think about it, its not the same as an exchange :o
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Similarly, in all of DS9, the Bajoran Milita continues to wear their own uniforms. Kira even wears her Milita uniform when in command of the Defiant.

And there's a Romulan officer serving on the Defiant when they first get the cloaking device, who continues to wear a Romulan uniform.

And isn't this also the reason T'Pol has her own uniform in Enterprise?

That said, I would like the choice. ESPECIALLY for klingon allied Romulans. Because the klingons are still taking it where the sun doesn't shine as far as uniforms go.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It works both ways, as this example is actually backwards.

Deep Space Nine was actually Starfleet performing the administrative functions, as Deep Space Nine was a Bajoran space station, hence why Kira, Odo, and all their Bajoran Militia subordinates continued to serve on DS9 when it was occupied by the Dominion.

BUT. When Kira was granted a Starfleet commission, then she wore a Starfleet uniform. And if the story I wish to put into place for my Boffs has them joining Starfleet then they need to wear the uniform.

And even if they are still strictly Romulan Republic, it's perfectly logical for Starfleet Romulan and Reman BOFFs to have access to the Republic Starfleet aligned uniforms and the same Klingon side.

So the restrictions are extremely jarring.

I have to agree with the OP. The restrictions add no value or uniqueness to the game and are hampering our ability to create our team they way we want to.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"