test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Downloading STO = very disapointed

palad1n72palad1n72 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So I started downloading this game again, as I wanted to try out the new expansion and play a Romulan character. I started the "patching" with the client launcher and go to lunch with friends.

When I get back, I am at 92% done, looking forward to playing, but then a few minutes later, BOOM! "We have encountered and error and need to stop the current action" slaps me in the face.

After relaunching the client, it states the server was down for "emergency patching" of some kind. Alright, I understand these things happen, so I wait another 20 min and try again. Server shows it is now up again.

I start the patching process again only to find out that it is starting over from the very beginning instead of starting from where I left off at.

Seriously?!? What kind of messed up system is Cryptic / PW using?? So instead of continuing where it stopped due to their decision to pull the server which cancelled my patching / downloading of the game, I have to start over?!?

Now the download is at best, 30-40% of what it was earlier, at this rate I won't have the game patched / downloaded, whatever, till the end of the day.

Is this companies server tech that messed up that they can't figure out how to allow players to start from where they last left off at? It's counter productive for this "patching" to overwrite everything I already have downloaded.

I know it's a long weekend, and just now having time to get back into this game, just very frustrating that their garbage server tech in regards to downloading the game client can TRIBBLE up so easily and forces you to start the download from the beginning again.

Maybe I should just not worry about this game, download speed has dropped again as of this posting, I am barely at 2% complete after 30+ minutes and I have a very good internet connection.

I have no problem downloading other games that are 10g+ within 1-2 hours, so this issue is not on my end.
Post edited by palad1n72 on

Comments

• admiraldeathladmiraldeathl Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you sure it started over completely? Usually when you stop patching the game it will just pick back up where you were at on the download, while it'll start the % back at 0 it'll still have patched all the files you've already downloaded.
  • revalahrevalah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I've interupted Patching STO several times in the past, and "0%" was always what it has to download to get to the end of the patch. For example, if the patch was 150 megs, and I stop it at 100 megs Downloaded, It will say 0% when I get back to it, bot its 05 of 50 megs, not 150 megs.

I understand you misunderstanding but its really not that bad. Hope you give LOR another try, it really is a nicely done expansion.
  • buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly. Don't waste your time. After all the patching is said and done you're still not going to get into the game. The system is totally overloaded at the present.
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The patcher downloads on a file by file basis. You will only lose the file currently being downloaded if the patcher crashes. Best case 1K, worst case 4Gb. But there is only 1 4Gb file :)
  • palad1n72palad1n72 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I plan to set up the download / patching again later tonight and will see what happens come morning. I know there are many issues going on with the recent updates.

I did check to see how far into the "patching" the game client was when I had to start over, and verified that it did indeed start over. It was at 9.8g out of 11g complete and I even have the old file to prove it.

When I started over, after 20 min I was barely at 300mb out of 11g complete, so yeah, this tells me it did indeed start over.

I set up the client to download the entire game, (hence why it's 11g file) instead of dealing with the patching on demand feature, with hopes that might help limit the in-game issues associated with trying to load "on demand", such as stuck at loading, or the patching on demand errors, etc.

Will see how things go by morning, while trying to be patient and understanding of these issues with their download patching system.

One game I am really looking forward to though is Star Citizen, and knowing Chris Roberts and his team, knowing they will be using solid server tech and not cutting corners, that may be my next real space game fix.

I am sure we will see some very good modding teams create a Star Trek universe for that game as well, so there will be many great options towards the end of next year, something I look forward to.