test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regent Build Feedback Please

seniorchief421seniorchief421 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Federation Discussion
I could use some assistance. I?ve read plenty of help threads for assault cruisers but I could use some feedback on my build.

Here?s the deal, I started playing not thinking about any long term plans for my character. I just picked the equipment I liked and kept doing that. When I gained access to the MK XII fleet weapons, I picked tetryons because they looked cool and figured I could strip shields then use torpedo spread on the hull. That?s really all the thought I ever put into my build. It works, sorta. I probably get 3k-4k average dps and I think I could do a lot better with the equipment I have.

I?m almost at tier 4 omega reputation and my fleet will have access to elite weaponry soon so I?m hoping to plan out a refit that will make me more competent in PvE. I feel that I have pretty good survivability but I just want to squeeze out another 1500dps or so.

If I could get some advice on how to improve my current setup (maybe some BOFF changes I?m unaware of) or whether it is worth swapping out to elite/omega gear (maybe include what gear may be best :D) I would very much appreciate it.

Disclaimer: I truly do not know whether I have a terrible setup or not, it?s ok if I do (and please tell me if I do) but there?s no need to rip me a new one. :P

Here?s my build:

Regent Class Assault Cruiser/ Engineering Captain
Fore:
1x Fleet Quantum Torpedo Launcher MK XII
1x Fleet Dual Tetryon Beam Bank MK XII
2x Fleet Tetryon Beam Array MK XII
Aft:
1x Fleet Quantum Torpedo Launcher MK XII
3x Fleet Tetryon Beam Array MK XII
Def/Eng/Shields:
Assimilated Space Set MK X
Warp Core:
Field Stabilizing Warp Core MK XI
Engineering Consoles:
2x RCS Accelerator MK XI
1x Tetraburnium Hull Armor MK XI
1x Ablative Hull Armor MK XI
Science Consoles:
2x Flow Capacitors MK XII
Tactical Consoles:
3x Tetryon Pulse Generator MK XI

Boffs:
Lt.Comm. Tactical:
Torp Spread 3
Tactical Team 2
Beam FAW 1
Universal Tactical:
High Yield 1
Commander Engineering:
Eject Warp Plasma 3
Emergency Power to Weapons 3
Engineering Team 2
Engineering Team 1
Lieutenant Engineering:
Emergency Power to Shields 2
Emergency Power to Shields 1
Lieutenant Science:
Jam Sensors 2
Hazard Emitters 1

Thank you in advance!
Post edited by seniorchief421 on

Comments

• skywolf73skywolf73 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suggest you read this and meditate on it.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=547581

the aux to bat build has so many pluses that working even a single copy in helps cruisers greatly. other than that you need romulan arrays that do not drain if you going to try and skip all that power generation and cd reduction a a2b build grants you.
  • seniorchief421seniorchief421 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you sir, I shall rest and meditate upon which I have learned.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's a lot of waste on here thats not really helping you, or some things at cross-purposes. The RCS consoles....one is a useful tool, but with two its like you're trying to add maneuverability to a ship that just isn't built for that purpose. Flow capacitors is kind of a waste of two console spaces just to help the occasional proc. You'd be better served with field generators or emitter arrays most likely. If you have two armor consoles, just use two neutroniums as that will give you +35 to everything instead of some here and some there, plus that will now include kinetic which are the real killers in STFs.

Weapons, you don't really need two torpedoes. One torpedo, the wide-angle that came with the Regent, will let you launch your TS3 without breaking broadside. Replacing the rear torpedo with the Kinetic Cutting Beam, then one of the RCS modules or Flow Caps with the Assimilated Module, will give you extra broadside damage and the Omega Weapon 2-piece, which helps with all that power drain. If it were mine I'd also drop the DBB for another array, but there are good arguments in favor of a fore DBB so thats more a matter of taste. Also you might swap the Borg shield for a MACO or Fleet one, but there are good arguments to running full Borg as well, so thats another taste thing.

Boffs, similar to consoles in that you just need some trimming. The general theme of your layout is fine, just some waste here and there. Jam Sensors needs to go away. You're a tank, you don't care if people are shooting you. Replace it with Science Team or Transfer Shield Strength. Tactical Team 1 is just as good as 2, and will let you upgrade either your FAW or High Yield. A lot of people might run dual TT1 instead, but unless you're doing PVP you don't need your coverage THAT constant (and there's ways to do that with a single copy anyways). Or you could drop the high-yield, downgrade your Spread to 2, and add Attack Pattern Omega 1 for the extra alpha strike, anti tractor beam, and turning boost.

Drop the Engineering Team 2 and the Emergency To Shields 2, and slot either 2 purple or 3 blue Damage Control Officer doffs to give you paired always-on (more or less) coverage for your EPTx skills so long as you constantly cycle them. This also opens up a pair of Lt-level slots for you. One can easily be RSP1 as an emergency 'oh TRIBBLE' button. The other can be aux2structural, or aux2dampeners, or aux2bat if you want to get fancy, or DEM1 if you want to spend the money on Marion. Many possibilities, but dual engineering teams is not usually a good investment.

There more complicated stuff you can do of course, but to simply tweak instead of overhaul, this should help.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whoo... where to begin... So you want a PvE build right? Ok, for starters, tetryon in PvE. Not that useful, since NPCs have this ludicrous amount of hull, therefore shield stripping only works so well. Also, most NPCs do not redistribute their shields, so you have no need to strip all 4 facings. I would go with disruptors or romulan weapons, since they have the resistance reduction/plasma burn. VERY useful against NPCs.

As for the shields, engines, and deflector, the Assimilated Space set is fine. It's a good solid decent set. I would recommend you upgrade to at least mk XI, mk XII if you have the dil and omega marks, but mk XI works just fine.

As for the rest of your build? You aren't going to like this, but it's pretty much... well... inefficient and doesn't look horribly effective. Sorry -.-

Here's what I would use (PVE ONLY):

Assault Cruiser Refit:

Shields: Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array mk X/XI/XII
    Deflector: Assimilated Deflector Array mk X/XI/XII
    Engines: Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines mk X/XI/XII

Warp Core: Hyper Infusion Warp Core (not sure if that's right, but it's the one that boosts your engine power, which is GOLD on a cruiser)

Your original weapon layout was not horribly efficient, nor was it seemingly that effective. I have not seen your ship in action, so I cannot really give a good commentary, but the following weapons are tried and true.

Weapons:
    Fore: Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, Romulan Experimental Beam Array, 2x Romulan Beam Array mk XII [crtd] [crth]
    Aft: 3x Romulan Beam Array mk XII [crtd] [crth], Kinetic Cutting Beam

If you cannot afford the Romulan Weapons:

Fore: Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo, 3x Disruptor Beam Array (mk level and mods are what you can afford/users choice)
    Aft: 3x Disruptor Beam Array (same as above), Kinetic Cutting Beam

Your original console layout was... bad. No focus, or focusing on the wrong things, especially engineering. -.- Here's an alternative.

Consoles:
    Tactical: 3x whichever of the above damage you choose to use.
    Engineering: 2x Neutronium Alloy, 1x Monotanium, 1x RCS/ another Neutronium
    Science: Zero Point Energy Conduit (romulan tier 2 rep), Assimilated Module (omega tier something rep) OR 2x Emitter Array

Next is BOffs, your original layout was... kinda clunky, overall not that great. Here's an alternative.

BOff Layout:
    LtCmdr Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Beam Fire at Will 2, Attack Pattern Omega 1
    Ens Tactical: Torpedo Spread 1/ Tactical Team 1 (DOff dependent)
    Cmdr Engineering: Engineering Team 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2, Emergency Power to Shields 3, Auxiliary to the Structural Integrity Field 3
    Lt Engineering: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2
    Lt Universal: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2

I have no idea what your DOffs are, so I'll just give recommendations.

DOffs:
    2x Conn Officer (tac team cd red) (purple required)
    2x Damage Control Engineer (blue minimum)
    1x Warp Core Engineer (blue minimum)

If you cannot afford the Conn Officers, I would recommend Projectile Weapons Officers or Shield Distribution Officers.

This build basically gives you an alternative to an A2B build, gives you decent survivability and decent damage. Relatively balanced. Try it out, see what happens.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • shredder75shredder75 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alternatively you can go with,

LtCmdr Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1, Beam Fire at Will 3

Or

LtCmdr Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Beam Fire at Will 2, Attack Pattern Beta 3

The former gives you nice burst, while the latter is a compromise that gives a significant boost to everyone's DPS.

Boils down to preference really. The above poster gave you a solid build to work from.

On DOFFs, if you elect to run 2 copies of Tactical Team, I'd go with 2 Shield Distribution Officers instead of the 2 Conn Officers.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shredder75 wrote: »
    Alternatively you can go with,

LtCmdr Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1, Beam Fire at Will 3

Or

LtCmdr Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Beam Fire at Will 2, Attack Pattern Beta 3

The former gives you nice burst, while the latter is a compromise that gives a significant boost to everyone's DPS.

Boils down to preference really. The above poster gave you a solid build to work from.

On DOFFs, if you elect to run 2 copies of Tactical Team, I'd go with 2 Shield Distribution Officers instead of the 2 Conn Officers.

Just an edit: LtCmdr Tactical is Attack Pattern Beta 2. Beta 3 is a Cmdr ability.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)