test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Horrifying sounds in Exchange Warehouse

rabidredneck02rabidredneck02 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Decided to make a new klingon engineer to try out the new tutorial missions, which for the record is a vast improvement over the original. However upon entering the Exchange Warehouse to talk to the maintenance guy and fight Nausicaans, I was subjected to a Horrifying noise throughout the mission.

The only way I can describe it is a voice actor doing a high pitched "HoooOOO! HoooOOO! HoooOOO!" noise every minute. I turned of my headphones after a couple minutes to spare my ears (and sanity).

Is that a thing that's SUPPOSED to be there?
Post edited by rabidredneck02 on

Comments

• jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes - that's the Ferengi clerk on the other end of the warehouse. Approach him and click the "use" button to punch him, and he will be quiet. Or you can be a Feddie wanna be and endure that sound.
  • vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited May 2013
    Should have added an option for the Gorn to "eat" the Ferengi.
  • justiceface825justiceface825 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good lord that drove me crazy also until i actually saw the clerk and decked him. At first I thought voice chat was on and someone in my fleet was being an TRIBBLE
  • queeg9000queeg9000 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Punch the Forengi in the face...no more noise.

Gotta love being Klingon.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    queeg9000 wrote: »
    Punch the Forengi in the face...no more noise.

Gotta love being Klingon.

Oh and doesn't it feel good decking him too. :P More so than if there was no noise. Nice job Devs. ;)
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember when I first heard that: my out-of-game reaction was 'What the f***ing hell was that!?', while in-game I was focusing on the Nausicaan pirates.

Unfortunately for me, I was late in actually seeing the Ferengi as the source of the noise... but that will no longer be the case :)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    The little guy is just scared of all the freakin' pirates hanging around. Just approach him, and gently, but sternly, help him find his lost honor, the way you would any Klingon, that acted similarly. I like like that J'Mpok finally, "reassigned" the senile, transporter guy who kept beaming me back where I came from, too.

By disabling beaming to the academy from the shipyard, now I have to use the First City as a hub to get to the academy both ways rather than just going up.

They need to re-enable the beaming to the academy from the shipyard and give an option at the academy to beam directly to the shipyard.

I think the issue was that technically the shipyard and First City are the same map, I think they really need to separate the two into different maps.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LMAO right now. Just completed that mission and I swear, I thought somebody was on chat or something yelling like an a$$. After muting the microphone I then thought the injured Klink was in fact the culprit - and was thoroughly disappointed and dismayed to think a klingon could ever sound that way, let alone actually scream like that.

It wasn't until I stumbled upon the nasty little Ferengi that all became clear to me and yes, punching him was wonderful... but slicing him in half would have been better! ;) Nasty little things, Ferengi's are....
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If getting hit by a Klingon was bad, imagine how hard a giant green Orion Male punching him must be.
  • m4tth3wk4n3m4tth3wk4n3 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    God damnit... If I would have known that I would have an easier time doing that mission... I slowly went berserk hearing that cowling...

I was like through the entire mission...: shut the **** up, shut the **** up...
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That braying drove me nuts too until I saw the ferengi run by and a popup said "punch the ferengi...".
    After that it drove me nuts only until I caught him. Thunk-fsplat. Blessed silence.

Excellent touch Cryptic. I loved it.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    That braying drove me nuts too until I saw the ferengi run by and a popup said "punch the ferengi...".
    After that it drove me nuts only until I caught him. Thunk-fsplat. Blessed silence.

Excellent touch Cryptic. I loved it.

The Punch Ferengi option was sooo bloody awesome.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Decided to make a new klingon engineer to try out the new tutorial missions, which for the record is a vast improvement over the original. However upon entering the Exchange Warehouse to talk to the maintenance guy and fight Nausicaans, I was subjected to a Horrifying noise throughout the mission.

The only way I can describe it is a voice actor doing a high pitched "HoooOOO! HoooOOO! HoooOOO!" noise every minute. I turned of my headphones after a couple minutes to spare my ears (and sanity).

Is that a thing that's SUPPOSED to be there?

Of course! It's the Qon'os Wazwootpian ring-bat's mating call. I think it fancied you if my Klingon ethology serves me correct
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its a good thing my Lethean , Zipa keeps his pimp hand strong for just such emergencies.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whoever thought this up it's a GENIUS! :D

It drove me crazy figuring out what the hell was going on and halfway through blasting the Nausicaans I noticed the Ferengi and remembered of Rom. Then he runs directly into me and I get "punch the Ferengi" pop-up. Click on it....blessed silence! This is pure GOLD! :D

I'm gonna' say it again, whoever thought this up is a GENIUS!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jestersage wrote: »
    Yes - that's the Ferengi clerk on the other end of the warehouse. Approach him and click the "use" button to punch him, and he will be quiet. Or you can be a Feddie wanna be and endure that sound.

Aw Gad Nammit! I wish I knew that!
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My son thought it was absolutely hilarious. And I chuckled at the 'punch ferengi' option. lol
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good lord that drove me crazy also until i actually saw the clerk and decked him. At first I thought voice chat was on and someone in my fleet was being an TRIBBLE

hilariously, i thought the same exact thing.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I loved the ferengi freaking out, I was laughing so hard it hurt. In fact the entire Klingon starter experience had some excellent humor, I loved the first officer in the space portions and how the actor infused this hilarious violent streak in every solution he comes up with.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    Its a good thing my Lethean , Zipa keeps his pimp hand strong for just such emergencies.

Did you recite the Pimps prayer as you did so?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol, i noticed it and it was horrible... I was sure it was not one of the Nausicaans and I saw this Ferengi running like a headless chicken. Let me tell, I shot the TRIBBLE quick to spare my ears...

In conclusion, please, change this audio, it's awful.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Did you recite the Pimps prayer as you did so?

Of course.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was checking my computer during that combat and had to mute it, thinking it must be a weird video advert on a webpage in the background. It wouldn't be so unwelcome if it was more obvious where it was coming from. I only found him because I decided to go look round afterwards to check it wasn't a bug.

Nice idea, could be executed better.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I play a Federation character and a Federation-allied Romulan and was really only doing a Klingon character just as an experiment to see what it was like.

Fortunately I recently rewatched DS9 over the last few months and recognised the wailing sound as a freaking out Ferengi.

As soon as I spotted him it was confirmed. However when he ran close to me and I saw the "punch Ferengi" icon come up I pressed it and laughed when it knocked him out and the godawful wailing stopped.

Hilarious. I was surprised I was able to fight and laugh at the same time.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    Whoever thought this up it's a GENIUS! :D

It drove me crazy figuring out what the hell was going on and halfway through blasting the Nausicaans I noticed the Ferengi and remembered of Rom. Then he runs directly into me and I get "punch the Ferengi" pop-up. Click on it....blessed silence! This is pure GOLD! :D

I'm gonna' say it again, whoever thought this up is a GENIUS!

As far as I can tell, the credit goes to Matt "Positron" Miller of City of Heroes fame.
  • orionsrockorionsrock Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    Lol most satisfying part of the kdf. I played it first thinking that the klingon was doing that and I was like what? so out of character, until I thought hey that sounds like a noise Rom made so I sought out any ferengis and there he was. and then to be able to do that I was laughing for like a full minute lol :D
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I haven't hung around the Exchange on my KDF captain, but I played the KDF intro on Tribble before the recent launch. Was just getting into the battle sequence, when this freaked out Ferengi runs up in front of me... and I get the Punch Ferengi option. I couldn't resist, and I had to take a moment to stop laughing before resuming the battles. :D

Need to roll a new Borg Klingon captain, I was loving the KDF intro missions during testing.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • kaelgorkaelgor Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Since she was running around quite a bit when I first saw her, I thought it was a game of cat and mouse. My Ferasan being the cat, the clerk the mouse. Shame I couldn't pounce on her though when I was bored with chasing her around.

Not sure who she was scared of more; the Nausicaans, or the Ferasan.
  • amwolfeamwolfe Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd like this added as an option for every Ferengi. ")
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem I had with it, and the reason I initially /bug'd it (figuring it was easily the dumbest map glitch Cryptic's come up with yet), is that it's a two-dimensional sound, meaning no matter where I orient the camera, the sound always comes straight out of the center channel.