test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RR BOffs; Why so scarce?

jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I just noticed we'll only get about five BOffs leveling up as a Romulan. I was really hoping to have a modest stable of spare BOffs at level cap so I could fully customize my next Rom's crew, but at this rate I won't have much choice.

Are there other BOffs rewarded through missions, or am I stuck with the ones from leveling?
Post edited by jexsamx on

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really don't know the answer to your question yet, but in the worst case scenario I'm going to vastly increase my selection of Romulan Boffs at level cap through the embassy.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's that. Compounding the issue is also the fact that we cannot use bridge officer candidates from our allied faction to help train our romulan bridge officers. I bugged this here.

So, not only are Romulan bridge officers scarce, but you can't even train them with the powers of other bridge officers you might find, receive through Duty Officer recruitment assignments, or buy from the exchange.

That really sucks. I warned so during the Beta, but they never attended it.
    edited May 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    There's that. Compounding the issue is also the fact that we cannot use bridge officer candidates from our allied faction to help train our romulan bridge officers. I bugged this here.

So, not only are Romulan bridge officers scarce, but you can't even train them with the powers of other bridge officers you might find, receive through Duty Officer recruitment assignments, or buy from the exchange.

Well, yeah, that kinda' sucks if it happens. (I'm taking your word for it cause I haven't really checked myself) I hope it gets fixed soon enough, but once more in a worst case scenario, we can ask for assistance from our fleetmates that are different career to train some of our Romulan Boffs in certain skills. I believe that option would still be possible?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Surely there have to be DOFF missions later to recruit more BOFFS. Those are sort of standard faction specific missions for everyone, but I doubt more than the tiniest handful are that deep into their characters yet. Most of those require you to have a higher level Commendation XP and there hasn't been enough time to grind those up yet.

Assuming they are there (and I can't imagine they are not), it will still take a few weeks for the exchange to fill up and the prices to not be nuts.

If there really isn't a wider selection available through that path, then Cryptic deserves every bit of heat they get, because it's not a remotely acceptable idea.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always thought we got too many BOFFs just leveling in the other factions, I was always out of space, RR seems about right to me.

That said there should be more options at end game to get more.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    I've been checking doff missions all over the sector and as far as I can tell you get romulan specific doff missions from NR command, sector and embassy. Can't remember if flotilla has them or NR space but nimbus does not either.

I haven't found a single mission to get any bridge officers and I've got a crit on doff recruitment (4 blues aren't I lucky) so you don't get them from that either just incase Cryptic did that for some bizarre reason.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been making a pretty decent profit selling Romulan boffs. It is easy enough to find how to get as many as you want on your own, but it seems most can't be bothered to check. If people still can't figure it out I will post again in a few days after I make enough money to gear my Romulan, but it should be easy enough to figure out.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=704671

Recruitment missions for good officers are "coming soon".

• sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Rather, "coming at some unstated point in the future", since the wording of that devpost could mean next patch or a year from now.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I've been making a pretty decent profit selling Romulan boffs. It is easy enough to find how to get as many as you want on your own, but it seems most can't be bothered to check. If people still can't figure it out I will post again in a few days after I make enough money to gear my Romulan, but it should be easy enough to figure out.

Check what? Where? You make it sound like it's glaringly obvious but not everyone has a nose for exploits.

As of right now I can't see any way to get multiple Rom boffs quickly or easily. The only obvious answer would be to level a Romulan to get the first BOff multiple times over, but it would take days doing that to muster a respectable number (assuming you have a job and a life - I have at least one of those things).

The only other thing I can think is there's a mission that's rewarding them that I've missed
    edited May 2013
    There is the store on the flotilla that sells whites but really... who cares? Anything lower than blue is worthless.

• marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some of the white boffs have subterfuge and Romulan opertive, sometimes both, and somtimes its the regular version of the trait and not the basic version. Its not as good as a rare or VR with superior operative or subterfuge, but its still a lot better then what Fed or KDF gets while leveling.

I have been getting a decent amount of profit selling these boffs and ones from leveling alts.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I would also like to add that your Romulan/Reman Captain cannot train whatever KDF BOFFs you acquire. And I'm assuming KDF Captains cannot train Romulan / Reman BOFFs. I'm assuming this is the same Fed side.

This system is so out of whack that it's frustrating getting the BOFFs setup the way you want.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2013

Ah, cool, well at least we know they're aware of this and will improve on it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Just a quick note to say that I found a possible workaround for this issue, however since I posted it on the forums one player has already told me it did not work for them. That said, I did this a Starfleet-allied Rom and they were KDF-allied, so I can't speak for that side of things.

This is what I did - After noticing that a Starfleet engineering candidate recieved the option to Train Up after I commissioned a Starfleet Engineer, I ran a quick experiment.

Using a cheap Starfleet Tactical officer off the exchange, I commissioned this officer and then tried commissioning one of my tactical candidates. Sure enough, they now had the option to Train. Using my Android boff, I trained my Reman-Borg in Torp Spread 3. Afterwards, I dismissed the Starfleet Tac Officer.

tl;dr

- Recruit cheap Starfleet officer to your crew with the career relevant to the skill you wish to train (Eng for Eng, Tac for Tac, Sci for Sci)
    - Double click your candidate with the desired skill. He should now have the option to train up.
    - Select the skill you wish to train from the menu and you should have the option to select a Romulan Republic boff to train.
    -Afterwards, dismiss the Starfleet boff.

As noted, a KDF-Allied player said this didn't work for them, so if someone on the KDF side could confirm that this is the case that'd be much appreciated.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I just noticed we'll only get about five BOffs leveling up as a Romulan. I was really hoping to have a modest stable of spare BOffs at level cap so I could fully customize my next Rom's crew, but at this rate I won't have much choice.

Are there other BOffs rewarded through missions, or am I stuck with the ones from leveling?

Only 5? Then, what am I doing different?

I'm only level 31, and I've currently got 7.

So far, I have:

Hiven
    Satra
    Tereth
    Tovan Khev
    Veril
    Nanrala
    and Six of Nine.

I still need to pick up D'vex later on in the story.

Plus, I've noticed that some missions will give the option to choose between an Engineer, Tactical, and Science boff.

BTW, I'm dismissing all non-Romulan boffs as I get them.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Only 5? Then, what am I doing different?

I'm only level 31, and I've currently got 7.

So far, I have:

Hiven
    Satra
    Tereth
    Tovan Khev
    Veril
    Nanrala
    and Six of Nine.

I still need to pick up D'vex later on in the story.

Plus, I've noticed that some missions will give the option to choose between an Engineer, Tactical, and Science boff.

BTW, I'm dismissing all non-Romulan boffs as I get them.

Hiven, Satra, Veril, and Tovan don't count; they're all the same and always handed to you.

What I was talking about specifically was randomly generated BOffs, like you noted with the occasional choice between a random Engie, Tac, and Sci BOff. Those are rewards you get as you level, and last I counted, there are only five BOffs awarded like those as you level.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ah, ok. All I can say then, is watch for them in missions, or try doff recruitment missions.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • fanofallsevenfanofallseven Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    As noted, a KDF-Allied player said this didn't work for them, so if someone on the KDF side could confirm that this is the case that'd be much appreciated.

Confirmed that this does NOT work for the KDF. The first part does, you can unlock the "Train" option by adding a cheap faction-dedicated BOff, but your KDF officers will never be able to train any of your Romulan/Reman officers. And you cannot train any KDF officers with captain powers, leaving KDF-affiliated Romulans completely up the creek in terms of bridge-officer powers.

At this stage, I'd warn anyone away from KDF-affiliating their Romulans. Considering the pace of KDF bugfixes, this is likely to last awhile.
  • revalahrevalah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also get Romulan Boffs from the Embassy if you are part of a fleet with at least level 1 recruit.

And yes its possible to get Rommie Boffs in other ways, as I have a blue sci sitting wating for me to kick Hirven out of an airlock.
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed that this does NOT work for the KDF. The first part does, you can unlock the "Train" option by adding a cheap faction-dedicated BOff, but your KDF officers will never be able to train any of your Romulan/Reman officers. And you cannot train any KDF officers with captain powers, leaving KDF-affiliated Romulans completely up the creek in terms of bridge-officer powers.

At this stage, I'd warn anyone away from KDF-affiliating their Romulans. Considering the pace of KDF bugfixes, this is likely to last awhile.

Wow. I guess it will be back to my mains sooner then I thought. Good thing I had planned on slowly Doffing my KDF-ROM to 50. But then again, by the time he hits 50 there might still not be any BOFFs...

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    revalah wrote: »
    You can also get Romulan Boffs from the Embassy if you are part of a fleet with at least level 1 recruit.

And yes its possible to get Rommie Boffs in other ways, as I have a blue sci sitting wating for me to kick Hirven out of an airlock.

Are Embassy boffs character bound the moment you buy them, or can they be traded to other chars on the same account?

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am curious as to how to get more of the Rare quality ones as well. I sold a tac with Superior Operative, then realized I kind of want him :D

Also anyone know how BOFF traits stack? Seems the operative traits stack somewhat with the cloak cooldown, but what about Subterfuge?
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are Embassy boffs character bound the moment you buy them, or can they be traded to other chars on the same account?

They are bound and last time i checked still unable to change their appearance at all...

so why waste the dilithium for that junk

Altho I like not being flooded with BOFFs id still like it if we got at least 2 every 10 levels of gameplay...itd bring it to 10 wed have by 50 to work with besides the same crew everyone has...and should have options to get some kinda rares or at least uncommon from the command center...
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif