test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tal shiar alliance?

aile41aile41 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I have a question, are we able to play with the tal shiar or are we always on the new romulas side?
I am Omega, resistance is stupidy workable.
Post edited by aile41 on

Comments

• Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can only play as a member of the Romulan Republic.

Besides, the Tal Shiar has systematically replaced any replaced any rational beings in its ranks with highly-conditioned toadies and cackling supervillains. Why would you want to ally with them?
  • Options
    numar1xnumar1x Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Besides, the Tal Shiar has systematically replaced any replaced any rational beings in its ranks with highly-conditioned toadies and cackling supervillains. Why would you want to ally with them?

Are you mad? I am here for you friend.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Besides, the Tal Shiar has systematically replaced any replaced any rational beings in its ranks with highly-conditioned toadies and cackling supervillains.
    Truth. Not an ounce of sense in there. What used to be the most devious and feared intelligence agency in the galaxy has been replaced by toadies, Republic serial villains, and Achmed the Dead Terrorist clones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulans will always have one allegiance and that is to the Rihannsu first and everything else second.

Now that the RP-side is over and done with, no you cannot play as a Tal Shiar, though you can defintely role-play as Tal Shiar with other like-minded people in the game. IIRC there is a Tal Shiar Fleet recruiting in the New Romulus fleet forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No playable Tal Shiar alas, or Romulan Star Empire, for that matter.
  • Options
    tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love everything about the Romulan race. Except for the current story we are playing in STO, sure, the Tal Shiar are the "bad guys", but guess what? That's what Romulans are. It's funny how a bunch of thugs and criminals founded the Romulan Star Empire. I'm not saying all Romulan are bad but majority are oh atleast should be.

I hate the story currently (Apart from that mission we had to warn a Tal Shiar outpost form an attack), but I respect Cryptic for allowing our characters to dress Tal Shair attire and now ships which are in those lock boxes.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013

well for starters I am an excellent cackling supervillain and i occasionally dabble in toadyism.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilvius wrote: »
    I love everything about the Romulan race. Except for the current story we are playing in STO, sure, the Tal Shiar are the "bad guys", but guess what? That's what Romulans are. It's funny how a bunch of thugs and criminals founded the Romulan Star Empire. I'm not saying all Romulan are bad but majority are oh atleast should be.

I hate the story currently (Apart from that mission we had to warn a Tal Shiar outpost form an attack), but I respect Cryptic for allowing our characters to dress Tal Shair attire and now ships which are in those lock boxes.

Ummm...no offense but what drugs are you on? You say you love everything about the Romulan race, but then you continue on with your post and prove you know nothing about the Romulan race.

Romulans aren't "bad guys" or "were founded by thugs and criminals."

Romulans didn't want to sacrifice their emotions unlike the Vulcans who could see no other choice to bring peace to their people, so Romulans separated and founded Romulus, and then Remus.

Governmental corruption and lack of oversight of special parts of the military (ie Tal'shair) are were the real problems lay. Yes Romulans are xenophobic isolationists, but that doesn't make them bad. Sela is just a hard TRIBBLE because she clings so hard to power so she can instill so much fear that people forget she's not full Romulan.

The foundation of a faction that was founded by thugs and criminals is the Orion Syndicate, not the Romulan Star Empire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aile41aile41 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulans will always have one allegiance and that is to the Rihannsu first and everything else second.

Now that the RP-side is over and done with, no you cannot play as a Tal Shiar, though you can defintely role-play as Tal Shiar with other like-minded people in the game. IIRC there is a Tal Shiar Fleet recruiting in the New Romulus fleet forum.

I love achmed, my top favorite with peanut.
    I am Omega, resistance is stupidy workable.
  • Options
    tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Ummm...no offense but what drugs are you on? You say you love everything about the Romulan race, but then you continue on with your post and prove you know nothing about the Romulan race.

Romulans aren't "bad guys" or "were founded by thugs and criminals."

Romulans didn't want to sacrifice their emotions unlike the Vulcans who could see no other choice to bring peace to their people, so Romulans separated and founded Romulus, and then Remus.

Governmental corruption and lack of oversight of special parts of the military (ie Tal'shair) are were the real problems lay. Yes Romulans are xenophobic isolationists, but that doesn't make them bad. Sela is just a hard TRIBBLE because she clings so hard to power so she can instill so much fear that people forget she's not full Romulan.

The foundation of a faction that was founded by thugs and criminals is the Orion Syndicate, not the Romulan Star Empire.

I am on ALL types of drugs. Excuse what I have wrote. I didn't mean to talk about the Romulans as a whole. You are right and I am wrong. No criminals or thugs backing. What I read in books and such have been mixed around and thanks for clearifing the mistake I made.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    numar1x wrote: »
    Are you mad? I am here for you friend.

Not mad, so much as stating what's been done to the Tal Shiar. It used to be an ominous intelligence agency like a more overt Section 31, dedicated to what it believed was best for the Romulan people. Now that Hakeev's been in control, the madman has turned it into the Iconians' sock-puppet, amassing power and exotic brainwashing tech for purposes of galactic domination so that the Tal Shiar can be the Iconians' favorite pets when they return (and managed to convince Sela to play along). Even Hakeev is just a melodramatic evil puppy, come to think of it.

Now, while getting to be a cackling supervillain every once in a while can be fun, due to Hakeev, a playable Tal Shiar faction would require completely different content from levels 1-50 than what either the Federation or the Klingon Empire have, and would have no reason to play any of the existing endgame content or featured episodes. New Romulus Reputation? They want to burn the planet! Task Force Omega? They're doing just fine against the Borg without it, and besides, the Iconians will mop them right up when they arrive! Tholians? Not their problem!
  • Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who are the bad guys?

That is subjective. For the Federation, yeah, the Romulans were a "bad guy" they were self-interested like they are now.

For such bad guys they did help to defend the quadrant from the Dominion... again with self-interest though.

I wonder if these same people will tell me that the Klingons have to be merciless enemies too? Like Worf didn't exist or Dax's story isn't plausible... etc
  • Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For my Romulan, no he's not on board with D'Tan, but he considers the Tal'Shiar the treasonous TRIBBLE to the Romulans first and foremost.

Sela's story isn't "finished" and Taris showed she was not exactly pleased with her actions, I still told her it's her fault though.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Tal Shiar's depiction in STO with LOR is comically, Double Face Palmingly bad. This is supposed to be the premier intelligence service in the quadrant. Romulus may have been destroyed, but its capable members were still posted elsewhere, including outside the Empire.

STO Tal Shiar have been made to do the entire gamut of cheesiness to make sure there is no confusion to the player that they are to be hated.
    XzRTofz.gif