test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LoR: More likely to add or take from KDF?

delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Klingon Discussion
What do you think the net outcome will be for KDF population? Will we see an increase, or will we see a decrease?
Post edited by deleroux on

Comments

• Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It will be a decline. We are already shaky before the Rommies.

There's no incentive or reason to play KDF unless there is suddenly a huge influx of free to play, which there is not going to be. Not being negative.

The rep grind has destroyed any pleasant experience involved with leveling a toon. If people have to do that grind they are not going to waste it on a faction with perceived and real disadvantages.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The optimists will tell you it will get better. The pessimists will tell you it'll get worse. The truth is no one knows, and no one will really know for another few months once all the bloom has wore off the update and people settle into what pleases them the most.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The optimists will tell you it will get better. The pessimists will tell you it'll get worse. The truth is no one knows, and no one will really know for another few months once all the bloom has wore off the update and people settle into what pleases them the most.

Call me a pessimist if you will. Fortunately, I'm also a realist and far from naive.

I've also paid attention to half the threads discussing this very issue over the last month.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Call me a pessimist if you will. Fortunately, I'm also a realist and far from naive.
    All pessimists call themselves realist. That's how they cope with being pessimists. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All pessimists call themselves realist. That's how they cope with being pessimists. :D

Do you really want me to get empirical about the proof? Really? That horse was buried 3 seasons ago.

I believe you will find it nicely summarized on STOwiki.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is a limit to the number of players that can be in a fleet; 500 i think it is. so i'm thinking fed side of fleets fill up, so if you want new alts you have to join kdf side.

i was never a big fan of klingons, but the people that choose to play klingons inspired me and i now have a klingon tac.

i think klingons/kdf side offers a lot of advantages, so i am expecting the kdf ranks to increase.
  • Options
    trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you really want me to get empirical about the proof? Really? That horse was buried 3 seasons ago.

Yes, I would like empirical proof.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Take 3 steps back and 2 chill-pills. Really. The KDF need to learn to lighten up. You don't do yourself any service on this forum. There's a reason I won't let my son come to the forum even though he LOVES the KDF more then life itself. It's because a certain percentage of you guys are just too anal about a game.

I'll say it again. The optimists will think it's good for the game. The pessimists will think it's bad. No one will know for sure until a few months have passed and everyone settles into the Faction they like the most. It's just that simple, whether you think you're a realist or not.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I would like empirical proof.

Enjoy - you must be new around here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Take 3 steps back and 2 chill-pills. Really. The KDF need to learn to lighten up. You don't do yourself any service on this forum. There's a reason I won't let my son come to the forum even though he LOVES the KDF more then life itself. It's because a certain percentage of you guys are just too anal about a game.

I'll say it again. The optimists will think it's good for the game. The pessimists will think it's bad. No one will know for sure until a few months have passed and everyone settles into the Faction they like the most. It's just that simple, whether you think you're a realist or not.

You know what you right. I have been spending way to much of my personal time and effort in promotion of Star Trek Online, and what have I really to show for it.

Let someone what carry that torch. I'm done.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know what you right. I have been spending way to much of my personal time and effort in promotion of Star Trek Online, and what have I really to show for it.

Let someone what carry that torch. I'm done.
    So to sum up, since you can't chill and not be anal and angry about everything KDF you must leave? There's no middle ground there? Really? :)
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    storatt wrote: »
    iHave delete my KDF Character ;/

From the toon slot rage thread.
    I didn't have the heart to tell this guy his rom toon couldn't be in his kdf slot.
    <sniff><sniff>

...But the exodus of KDF players has indeed begun, even if by stupidity or desperation the KDF will eventually end up loosing players.

GG cryptic
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Romulan storyline pushes them very much into Klingon hands. With a lot more dudes playing KDF via Romulan, the KDF will get more people, which means that PWE/Cryptic will be more willing to apply funding, which means more stuff for the both of them.

That's how I see it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    seitei1 wrote: »
    The Romulan storyline pushes them very much into Klingon hands.

Fleet items access > Storyline stuff. More Fed fleets at T5 than KDF fleets. Or for some, just you know their fleet is already fed, so their romulan joins fed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hayabusafuryhayabusafury Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe the majority of people out there just don't like Klingons.

No combo of story, content, Cryptic meddling, ships, power, and consoles uniqueness is going to influence the number of Klingon players long term. The Klingon population is tied to the fact that people will play them if they like Klingons.

Just like, long term, people will only play Romulans if they like Romulans.

Eventually all starbases will hit T5 on both sides.

Eventually the shiny will wear off the LoR content.

Eventually people will settle where they like.

Klingons will always be a smaller faction than Feds because less people like Klingons than the Federation. The same is true for the Romulans. When I am at the home worlds for the KDF or Fed sides, I see more KDF/Fed faction ships than Romulan allies parked there. Even in the height of the people playing the Rommie content.

The KDF will never die because there are dedicated fans of that faction. But don't kid yourselves anymore that Klinks were ever going to be as large and the Federation. You KDF players should be thankful you have had any content since launch. Us Romulans had to wait years. Cardasian fans even longer, if never.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Help rebuild the Romulan Star Empire to glory. Click the banner to join today.

• Options
    blafiblafi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @ hayabusa... warped in to Qo'Nos yesterday (in my Dhelan) to find a wall of D'dexes. :cool:

Anyhow, in my fleet (we consider both our FED and KDF fleets as 1) there's a vast decline of playing at the KDF side. To add to that i'm one of the few so far to side with the KDF. Reason for this is that our FED base is near T5 while the KDF base is only near to T3.

Good thing is most FED's have their first rommy at 50 and starting their reps. Once that's sorted most of them plan on doing a KDF one.

So basically i think numbers will decline hard at first, but level out gradually once the LoR buzz runs out and everybody returns to their favourite blend of grind.

moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    http://www.elitedefensestarfleet.com
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    From the toon slot rage thread.
    I didn't have the heart to tell this guy his rom toon couldn't be in his kdf slot.
    <sniff><sniff>

...But the exodus of KDF players has indeed begun, even if by stupidity or desperation the KDF will eventually end up loosing players.

GG cryptic

what kdf slot exactly?

character creator classifies all open character slots as unrestricted. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    what kdf slot exactly?

character creator classifies all open character slots as unrestricted. :)

Another poster had me convinced there were faction dedicated slots, but it appears my free slot is unrestricted. Perhaps the LoR expansion changed them all to unrestricted but if there were no restrictions why would the tooltip need to say 'unrestricted' ?
    :confused:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Another poster had me convinced there were faction dedicated slots, but it appears my free slot is unrestricted. Perhaps the LoR expansion changed them all to unrestricted but if there were no restrictions why would the tooltip need to say 'unrestricted' ?
    :confused:

I think that is so new and returning players would be aware that they can create a character of any faction at lvl-1 now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Enjoy - you must be new around here.

I don't think linking to Peregin's personal whine platform is acuratley going to predict how many players will choose to ally with the KDF.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All you have to remember is one thing to understand the KDF situation: The 18% Curse.
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Had cross-faction consoles never existed in the lockboxes, I believe the Rommie faction would have brought players to the KDF alignment. However, they were and with the release of the Plasmonic Leech at the same time as this expansion there is no reason for a FED player to even think about joining the other side.

We can get into the pros and cons of uni consoles, but the plasmonic leech console is pretty desirable for a Singularity Core power ship and it would have helped to bring more players.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D