test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rediculous Dowload

ronofborgronofborg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Now sitting at 1 hour and 15 minutes of download time. 97-98% have taken 40 minutes alone...not including still have 2% to go and only 105mb to patch and still taking forever. :mad:
Post edited by ronofborg on

Comments

• colonelsinkcolonelsink Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup I'm still 15 mbs short for the last 4+ hours.
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Protip: You spelled "Ridiculous" wrong.

Second Protip: High Server Loads = Slow Download Speeds. Try again tomorrow or later on when the server isn't being stressed out by everyone trying to download the updates simultaneously.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • poeticrexpoeticrex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Started the dl at 7am PST 6 hours and 20min later and still need 1600mb. This is just insane, sorry cryptic this is not your first rodeo you money hungry monkeys.
  • razzilrazzil Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ronofborg wrote: »
    Now sitting at 1 hour and 15 minutes of download time. 97-98% have taken 40 minutes alone...not including still have 2% to go and only 105mb to patch and still taking forever. :mad:

Welcome to patch day for a MMO.
    edited May 2013
    We all know that their is a massive influx of people dl the game. That was expected, they could of easily dripped the patch out last week like many other MMO teams do, no need to use that as a excuse for cryptic. They dropped the ball again, nothing new.
  • jdalton1jdalton1 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the slow patching is REALLY annoying me now, I really want to log in and play as a Romulan, i went away for a few mins to let it patch and it restarted, argh! :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • serlo371serlo371 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    poeticrex wrote: »
    Started the dl at 7am PST 6 hours and 20min later and still need 1600mb. This is just insane, sorry cryptic this is not your first rodeo you money hungry monkeys.

Same here exactly.
  • someone7xsomeone7x Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We all know that their is a massive influx of people dl the game. That was expected, they could of easily dripped the patch out last week like many other MMO teams do, no need to use that as a excuse for cryptic. They dropped the ball again, nothing new.

They did with the pre-patcher. But you can't ever anticipate this stuff. Every game's dealt with this stuff.
    edited May 2013
    razzil wrote: »
    Welcome to not having your servers right after many years. Plenty of mmos patch that day really fast. Sheesh my last 900mb massive updated for League of Legends which has millions of players took no more then 3mins. It is Cryptic being baboons and not getting server dl speeds right.
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whats rediculous?? Oh, ohhhhhhhh ridiculous!

Got it.
    Joined August 2009
  • vinthebutchervinthebutcher Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have 50mbs DL speeds and it's taking a long time for me as well.

I have 128mb to go, it got to a certain % and then it restarted the download still with 128mb left....

It's been a few hours....
    Change your timezone here.
    SEGA
    Nov. 2009
    yes, my avatar is my tattoo
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Protip: You spelled "Ridiculous" wrong.

Second Protip: High Server Loads = Slow Download Speeds. Try again tomorrow or later on when the server isn't being stressed out by everyone trying to download the updates simultaneously.

Industry Protip: Have the infrastructure in place to meet the demand, like all other major MMO's have and Cryptic FAILS to do time and time again.

Makes me wonder what they are actually doing with all the money they are creaming off of this game which is why I am cancelling my gold subscription this week, if they aint gonna fix the actual bugs with the base game which folks have been crying out for months and in some cases years to fix, and instead throw in new shiny to milk the playerbase for more cash...then why should I subscribe?
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • toadyfranktoadyfrank Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not in bad shape at all, but I thought I'd share my experience, since there's clearly some sort of problem here.

I planned ahead and had a full pre-patch of holodeck, and tribble updated to the most recent patch. I had to patch the full 10GB, but virtually all of that came from my local hard drive. I had to download a total of something like 200kB from cryptic, but the download of even such a tiny amount took about 2 minutes. That's an average speed of about 17 kBps! At that speed, it would take over 18 hours to download the full 10GB.

Obviously, cryptic's servers are under a huge load right now. Why haven't they set up a peer-to-peer option? By using bittorrent, or some related protocol, they could drastically reduce the load on their servers, and drastically reduce the waiting times for their players. Seems like a win for everyone.

The problem of how to distribute a large amount of data quickly to many users with a limited upload connection has already been solved. Why bother trying to reinvent the wheel?
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    razzil wrote: »

Plenty of MMOs handle patching with significantly less issues, as they've embraced this mysterious, new, foreign, cutting-edge technology known as... torrent.
  • nigel2751nigel2751 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have downloaded the game now but i have found a problem with trying to get on the server it says the game is full,if this is the case and the game is really full of people then i find that it is unfair to the paying player ,i have membership i also buy ships and many other things the amount of content that i have purchased over the long time i played this game you would have thought there would be a priority for the type of player i am,this should also apply to life members.so if theirs a new player that's playing free and not spent a penny on the game i find this a bit of a let down and i feel that i am paying for something i have no access to
    there should be a priority for the legit gamer .
    i also was on tribble testing the new rom and would like to know if there is an exclusive item for those who tested if so where do i claim it .
  • lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deleroux wrote: »
    Plenty of MMOs handle patching with significantly less issues, as they've embraced this mysterious, new, foreign, cutting-edge technology known as... torrent.

And yet the only MMO I've seen use a Torrent based patcher is World of Tanks.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So we had a pre-patch, NOW we have to patch again? Wtf is this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • petar1uth1matarpetar1uth1matar Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you are done with those 1600mb you still have 128 MB to go and for the last 2h i got 6% !
    Money hungry monkeys is correct - last 5 days they had bugged DL that could not work without crashing and that they did not expect this today is simply stupid Greed that kills your reputation and in MMO that means a lot . Not like you dont need extra DL speed every few months for new expansion and not like game it self could not use more speed during normal " working hours " .
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And yet the only MMO I've seen use a Torrent based patcher is World of Tanks.

TOR, WoW, and I'm sure a couple others.
  • zypheerzypheer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    really u shoulda stuck with ur old patch system..... another dropped ball... thanx alot
  • petar1uth1matarpetar1uth1matar Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is really simply in the end - there are 2 types of MMOs out there - one that pretend they care first about you then money and others that are honest and show you right in your face they do not give a f__k about you . Even do we all know that we still prefer the first one cos it feels better . No need to point out which ones survive and on which ppl are ready to spend more money . Most of the hate you generate stays with us for days after the mindrape and those are the days I will not be paying for anything ... Do it enuf times and ill ragequit which means ill be back if not another shinny thing catches my attention ...
  • sixxdkaisixxdkai Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If my calculations are correct, at the rate I am patching now.....hmmm, carry the 1....I should be able to log into the game sometime in August of 2369....
    By then I'll be flying my own Romulan Warbird in real life....
  • saberythsaberyth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1 hour of patching. 2% done. =/
  • rancidzombie1701rancidzombie1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    makes you wonder why they didn't borrow capacity from steam in order to handle the update process.make the patch as part of the new client. even with the 6 gb of size, steams servers i doubt would take more than an hr tops with it done from the start